Arthur Carl Wilhelm Heffter (15 June 1859, in Leipzig – 8 February 1925, in Berlin) was a German pharmacologist and chemist. He was the first chairman of the German Society of Pharmacologists, and was largely responsible for the first Handbook of Experimental Pharmacology. He isolated mescaline from the peyote cactus in 1897, the first such isolation of a naturally occurring psychedelic substance in pure form. In addition, he conducted experiments on its effects by comparing the effects of peyote and mescaline on himself.
- Die chronische Bleivergiftung im Maler-Gewerbe . [S.l.] 1903 Digital edition by the University and State Library Düsseldorf
- Die Auffindung von Arzneimitteln . Hirschwald, Berlin 1914 Digital edition by the University and State Library Düsseldorf
- "Arthur Heffter", Character Vaults, Erowid.org, retrieved 2013-01-09
- Excerpt from Arthur Heffters 1897 laboratory notebook detailing the discovery that mescaline was the centrally active compound found in the peyote cactus, Heffter.org, archived from the original on 2012-10-30, retrieved 2013-01-09
- About: Dr. Arthur Heffter
- Arthur Heffter, Deutschland Databank
- Arthur Heffter, German Digital Register
- "Dr. Arthur Heffter" – The Heffter Institute Website
- Arthur Heffter (1898). "Ueber Pellote – Beiträge zur chemischen und pharmakologischen Kenntniss der Cacteen Zweite Mittheilung". Naunyn-Schmiedeberg's Archives of Pharmacology. 40 (5–6): 385–429. doi:10.1007/BF01825267.
- Arthur Heffter (1896). "Ueber Cacteenalkaloïde". Berichte der deutschen chemischen Gesellschaft. 29 (1): 216–27. doi:10.1002/cber.18960290145.
|This article about a German person in the field of medicine is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|