Arthur Henry Reginald Buller
Arthur Henry Reginald Buller
|Died||3 July 1944 (aged 69)|
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
|Alma mater||Mason College|
The University of Birmingham
Queen's College, Taunton
University of Leipzig
University of Munich
|Awards||1851 Research Fellowship (1898-1901)|
Royal Medal (1937)
Flavelle Medal (1929)
Fellow of the Royal Society
|Institutions||University of Birmingham |
University of Manitoba
|Doctoral advisor||Robert Hartig, University of Munich and Wilhelm Pfeffer, University of Liepzig|
|Author abbrev. (botany)||Buller|
Born in Moseley, Birmingham, England, he was educated at Queen's College, Taunton. He then studied at Mason College, which later became the University of Birmingham, (BSc in 1896), the University of Leipzig (PhD), and the University of Munich. He was awarded a DSc by the University of Birmingham. He worked briefly for the Naples Zoological Station. From 1901 to 1904, he was a lecturer in Botany at University of Birmingham. He came to Canada in 1904 and founded the Botany Department at the University of Manitoba and was the first Professor of Botany and Geology at the University of Manitoba, and served as Head of the Botany Department until his retirement in 1936.
There was a young lady named Bright,
Whose speed was far faster than light;
She started one day
In a relative way,
And returned on the previous night.
A. H. Reginald Buller in Punch (19 December 1923): 591.
He was elected a Fellow of the Royal Society of Canada (FRSC) in 1909, and became its President in 1927. In 1929, he was awarded the Royal Society of Canada's Flavelle Medal. In 1937, he was elected a Fellow of the Royal Society (FRS). He was a life member of the Mycological Society of America.
He was awarded honorary degrees from the University of Saskatchewan, University of Calcutta, University of Manitoba, and University of Pennsylvania. The Buller Building at the University of Manitoba, built in 1932, is named in his honour.
- Brooks, F. T. (1945). "Arthur Henry Reginald Buller. 1874-1944". Obituary Notices of Fellows of the Royal Society. 5 (14): 50. doi:10.1098/rsbm.1945.0004.
- "University of London General Register part 3" (PDF). University of London. Retrieved 27 December 2014.
- There Was a Young Lady Named Bright Whose Speed Was Far Faster Than Light, Quote Investigator, Dec 19, 2013, last accessed 2014-02-18.
- IPNI. Buller.
- Goldsborough, Gordon. Reginald Buller: The Poet-Scientist of Mushroom City. Manitoba History Number 47, Spring/Summer 2004
|Wikiquote has quotations related to: Arthur Henry Reginald Buller|
- A.H. Reginald Buller fonds. University of Manitoba. Mss 184, Pc 175 (A.98-31, A.04-25, A.08-62).
- "Arthur Henry Reginald Buller". Memorable Manitobans. Manitoba Historical Society (MHS)).
- Goldsborough, Gordon (2004). "Reginald Buller: The Poet-Scientist of Mushroom City". Manitoba History. Biography. MHS (47).