Arthur Hill, 3rd Marquess of Downshire
Arthur Blundell Sandys Trumbull Hill, 3rd Marquess of Downshire KP (8 October 1788, Hanover Square – 12 September 1845) was an Anglo-Irish peer, styled Viscount Fairford from 1789 until 1793 and Earl of Hillsborough from 1793 to 1801.
He was born in Hanover Square, the eldest son of Arthur Hill, 2nd Marquess of Downshire and his wife-Mary Sandys. He became Marquess of Downshire on the early death of his father in 1801. He was educated at Eton and Christ Church, Oxford. He gained his bio MA in 1809 and a DCL in 1810.
In 1811 he married Lady Mary Windsor, daughter of Other Windsor, 5th Earl of Plymouth. They had five children:
- Arthur Wills Blundell Sandys Trumbull Windsor Hill, 4th Marquess of Downshire (1812–1868)
- Lady Charlotte Augusta Hill (30 June 1815 – 24 November 1861), married Sir George Chetwynd, 3rd Baronet and had issue
- Captain Lord William Frederick Arthur Montagu Hill (10 July 1816 – 18 Mar 1844), Scots Greys, killed in a hunting accident
- Lady Mary Penelope Hill (3 September 1817 – 15 July 1884), married Alexander Hood, 1st Viscount Bridport and had issue
- Arthur Edwin Hill-Trevor, 1st Baron Trevor (1819–1894)
During his early political career, Downshire was identified with the Whigs and supported the reform of Parliament. After the Grey Ministry came to power, he received a succession of appointments, becoming Colonel of the South Down Militia on 25 March 1831 and carrying the second sword at the coronation of William IV on 8 September. He was appointed a deputy lieutenant of Berkshire on 20 September, Lord Lieutenant of Down on 17 October (a new office replacing the Governor of Down), and finally a Knight of the Order of St Patrick on 24 November 1831. He received an LL.D from Cambridge on 6 July 1835.
Hill was a very strong supporter of the Irish language, and was president of the Ulster Gaelic Society (est. 1830). In this capacity he played an important role in helping preserve records of the language, poetry, folk and song collections and much else.
- "Hill, Arthur Blundell Sandys Trumbull (Marquess of Downshire) (HL835AB)". A Cambridge Alumni Database. University of Cambridge.
- Doyle, James William Edmund (1886). The Official Baronage of England, v. 2. London: Longmans, Green. pp. 197–198.
-  Éamon Phoenix & Pádraic Ó Cleireacháin, Feis Na NGleann: A Century of Gaelic Culture in the Antrim Glens (Ulster Historical Foundation, 2005), p. xiii]
- Hansard 1803–2005: contributions in Parliament by the Marquess of Downshire
- "Archival material relating to Arthur Hill, 3rd Marquess of Downshire". UK National Archives.
|New office|| Lord Lieutenant of Down
The Marquess of Londonderry
|Peerage of Ireland|
| Marquess of Downshire