Life and career
He earned a Ph.D. in political science from McMaster University in 1975. In addition to being a Professor of Political Science at the University of Victoria, Kroker serves as director of the Pacific Centre for Technology and Culture (PACTAC), located at the university. Kroker was appointed to the Canada Research Chair in Technology, Culture and Theory in 2003. He and his wife Marilouise are the editors for the online academic journal Ctheory, an international journal of theory, technology and culture.
Kroker has been an outspoken critic of the transformation of the early internet into a consumer-driven system ("virtual class"). Austrian magazine monochrom interviewed him about his political motivations in 1996.
He is married to Marilouise Kroker.
- Technology and the Canadian Mind: Innis, McLuhan, Grant (1984) ISBN 0-920393-00-4
- The Postmodern Scene: Excremental Culture and Hyper-Aesthetics (1987) (with David Cook) ISBN 0-920393-44-6
- Panic Encyclopedia: The Definitive Guide to the Postmodern Scene (1989) (with David Cook and Marilouise Kroker) ISBN 0-312-02477-0
- The Possessed Individual: Technology and the French Postmodern (1992) ISBN 0-920393-90-X
- SPASM: Virtual Reality, Android Music, and Electric Flesh (1993) ISBN 0-312-09681-X
- Data Trash: Theory of the Virtual Class (1994) (with Michael A. Weinstein) ISBN 0-920393-23-3
- Hacking the Future (1996) (with Marilouise Kroker) ISBN 0-920393-50-0
- The Will to Technology and the Culture of Nihilism: Heidegger, Nietzsche and Marx (2004) ISBN 0-8020-8573-3
- Body Invaders: Panic Sex in America (1987) (with Marilouise Kroker) ISBN 0-920393-96-9
- The Hysterical Male: New Feminist Theory (1991) (with Marilouise Kroker) ISBN 0-312-05297-9
- The Last Sex: Feminism and Outlaw Bodies (1993) (with Marilouise Kroker) ISBN 0-920393-37-3
- Digital Delirium (1997) (with Marilouise Kroker) ISBN 0-920393-71-3
- Life in the Wires: The CTheory Reader (2004) (with Marilouise Kroker) ISBN 0-920393-71-3
- Critical Digital Studies: A Reader (2008) (with Marilouise Kroker) ISBN 0-8020-9546-1
- Pacific Centre for Technology and Culture
- Profile as Professor of Political Science at the University of Victoria
- Profile as Canadian Research Chairholder[permanent dead link]
- Canadian Interviews. Arthur Kroker, 'What to Make of Thought?' July, 2009.
- Wired. 'Way New Leftists'. February, 1996.
|This biography of a Canadian academic is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|