Arthur Leipzig (October 25, 1918 – December 5, 2014) was an American photographer who specialized in street photography and was known for his photographs of New York City.
Leipzig was born in Brooklyn. After sustaining a serious injury to his right hand while working at a glass wholesaler, Leipzig joined the Photo League where he studied photography, took part in Sid Grossman's Documentary Workshop, taught Advanced Technique classes for three years, and exhibited his work. From 1942 until 1946 he was a staff photographer for PM. He also studied under Paul Strand before quitting the League to pursue a career as a freelance photojournalist.
In 1955 Leipzig was invited to participate in the exhibition The Family of Man at the Museum of Modern Art in New York. Leipzig was a professor of art and the director of photography at the CW Post Campus of Long Island University from 1968–1991.
In 2004, he won the Lucie Award for Outstanding Achievement in Fine Art Photography.
Selected solo exhibitions
- 2005 Albin O. Kuhn Library Gallery, UMBC (Baltimore)
- 2005–2006 "On Assignment", Columbus Museum of Art (Columbus, MS)
- 2007 "On Assignment: A Retrospective", Photographic Gallery (New York)
- 2008 "Arthur Leipzig: Next Stop New York", Suermondt-Ludwig-Museum (Aachen).
- 2009 "Arthur Leipzig: Next Stop New York", Städtische Galerie Iserlohn (Iserlohn)
Selected group exhibitions
- 2003 "Looking for Leisure", Staley + Wise Gallery (New York)
- 2005 "Winter Selections", Gendell Gallery (San Francisco)
- 2006 "Right of Passage: Youth Culture from the Mid-Century", Howard Greenberg Gallery (New York)
- 2007 "New York, NY", Fifty One Fine Art Photography (Antwerp)
- 2009 "Sexy and the City - New York Photographs", Yossi Milo Gallery (New York)
- 2009 "Greenberg in Hamburg", Flo Peters Gallery (Hamburg)
- 2010 "Family of Man", Howard Greenberg Gallery (New York)
- 2011-2012 "The Radical Camera: New York's Photo League, 1936-1951", The Jewish Museum (New York)
- Bibliothèque nationale de France (Paris)
- Brooklyn Museum
- National Portrait Gallery (Washington, DC)
- Sarah’s Daughters: A Celebration of Jewish Women, published by Women’s American ORT, 1988
- Growing up in New York; Boston: David R. Godine, 1995 (ISBN 1567920519)
- On Assignment with Arthur Leipzig; Boston: Long Island University Press, 2005 (ISBN 0913252026; ISBN 978-0-913252-02-4)
- Arthur Leipzig: Next Stop New York; Munich / New York: Prestel, 2008
- 2004 Lucie Award for Outstanding Achievement in Fine Art Photography
Klein, Mason and Evans, Catherine: "The Radical Camera: New York's Photo League, 1936-1951". Yale University Press, 2011
- Arthur Leipzig bio at The Jewish Museum[permanent dead link]
- "Albin O. Kuhn Library Gallery Presents On Assignment: Photographs by Arthur Leipzig", UMBC News, 24 March 2005. Accessed 6 January 2011.
- Martin, Douglas (5 December 2014). "Arthur Leipzig, a Photographer Inspired by Everyday Life in New York, Dies at 96". New York Times. Retrieved 6 December 2014.
- "Arthur Leipzig: Exhibitions", Photography-now.com. Accessed 6 January 2011.
- "Arthur Leipzig: Next Stop New York - Fotografien Archived July 19, 2011, at the Wayback Machine.", Suermondt-Ludwig-Museum, 2008. (in German) Accessed 6 January 2011.
- Auction page[permanent dead link], Photographic Resource Center, Boston University, 2007. Accessed 7 January 2011.