Vivian R. Malet|
24 September 1927
Lee-on-the-Solent, Hampshire, England
18 May 2013 (aged 85)|
Santa Monica, California, U.S.
Arthur Malet (24 September 1927 – 18 May 2013) was an English stage, film and television actor based in the United States.
Life and career
Vivian R. Malet was born in Lee-on-the-Solent, Hampshire, England. He emigrated to the United States in the 1950s, changed his forename to Arthur, began acting onstage, and won two Drama Desk Awards in 1957. He came to some prominence in 1960s films, often playing characters much older than his real age, such as Mr. Dawes, Jr., in Disney's Mary Poppins, and King Eiddelig in Disney's 1985 animated film The Black Cauldron.
He played undertaker Ted Ulam in Norman Jewison's 1967 film In the Heat of the Night, and Joe Fenwick in a 1972 episode of Columbo, "Dagger of the Mind". He went on to play a village elder in Mel Brooks's Young Frankenstein in 1974, the graveyard keeper in John Carpenter's Halloween in 1978, a houseman in the 1984 film Oh God, You Devil, Tootles in 1991's Hook, and Owen Owens in the 1992 film Toys.
His appearances on television included episodes of The Donna Reed Show, The Rifleman, Adventures in Paradise, The Alfred Hitchcock Hour ("The McGregor Affair"; originally aired 23 November 1964), and Bewitched ("The Trial and Error of Aunt Clara"; originally aired 2 February 1967). In 1965 he appeared as murder victim Ralph Day in the Perry Mason episode, "The Case of the Golden Venom." He played a vagrant who claimed to have stolen Aunt Bea's pin on The Andy Griffith Show in 1966. In 1995, he portrayed Charles Randolph in A Little Princess. In 1997, he did voice work in Anastasia. He voiced the character of "Mr. Ages" in The Secret of NIMH in 1982 and reprised the role in The Secret of NIMH 2: Timmy to the Rescue in 1998.
- Convicts 4 (1962) as Storekeeper
- The Man from Galveston (1963) as Barney
- Mary Poppins (1964) as Mr. Dawes Junior
- King Rat (1965) as Blakeley
- Munster, Go Home! (1966) as Alfie
- Lt. Robin Crusoe, U.S.N. (1966) as Umbrella Man
- Penelope (1966) as Major Higgins
- The Adventures of Bullwhip Griffin (1967) as Chinese Food Eater (uncredited)
- In the Heat of the Night (1967) as Ulam
- The Helicopter Spies (1968) as White Hunter
- The Great White Hope (1970) as Barrister (uncredited)
- Vanishing Point (1971) as Second Male Hitchhiker
- Bedknobs and Broomsticks (1971) as Mr. Widdenfield - Museum Guard (restored version) (uncredited)
- The Culpepper Cattle Co. (1972) as Doctor
- Ace Eli and Rodger of the Skies (1973) as Brother Watson
- Young Frankenstein (1974) as Village Elder
- The Enforcer (1976) as Innocent Bystander in Opening Action Sequence (uncredited)
- Heaven Can Wait (1978) as Everett
- Halloween (1978) as Graveyard Keeper
- Disaster on the Coastliner (1979) as the Conductor of Southbound 3
- Savage Harvest (1981) as MacGruder
- The Secret of NIMH (1982) as Mr. Ages (voice)
- Oh, God! You Devil (1984) as Houseman
- City Heat (1984) as Doc Loomis
- The Black Cauldron (1985) as King Eidilleg (voice)
- Worth Winning (1989) as Ticket Taker
- Dick Tracy (1990) as Diner Patron
- Beastmaster 2: Through the Portal of Time (1991) as Wendel
- The Runestone (1991) as Stoddard
- Hook (1991) as Tootles
- Toys (1992) as Owen Owens
- Felidae (1994) as Jesaja (voice) (uncredited)
- A Little Princess (1995) as Charles Randolph
- Anastasia (1997) as Travelling Man / Major Domo (voice)
- The Secret of NIMH 2: Timmy to the Rescue (1998) as Mr. Ages (voice) (final film role)
- Birth record transcript
GRO Birth Registry
Civil registration event: Birth
Name: MALET, Vivian R.
Registration district: Fareham
Year of registration: 1927
Quarter of registration: Oct-Nov-Dec
Mother's maiden name: Balfour
Volume no: 2B
- Tom B. "Boot Hill: RIP Arthur Malet". Westernboothill.blogspot.co.uk. Retrieved 16 September 2013.
- Arthur Malet profile at Allmovie.com; retrieved 2 January 2007.