Arthur Nozik is a researcher at the National Renewable Energy Lab (NREL). He is also a professor at the University of Colorado, which is located in Boulder. He researches semiconductor quantum dots at the National Renewable Energy Laboratory, and is a chemistry professor at the University of Colorado. He also does research for the advancement of solar energy, for which he won the Intergovernmental Renewable Energy Organization (IREO) Award for Science and Technology in 2009.
Dr. Arthur Nozik received his bachelor's degree from the University of Cornell in 1959, and he earned his PhD from Yale University in 1967. In 1967, he discovered a new transparent conductor (Cd2SnO4) Thin-Film Devices, which helped develop new applications for solar energy devices. Then he did research on quantization effects in semiconductor quantum dots, for the Allied Chemical Corporation and the American Cyanamid Corporation. He then worked as a group leader of Photoelectrochemistry from 1974 to 1978. He worked in both these places until 1978, when he joined the National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL). He has published a little over 150 research papers related to solar cell, quantum dot, semiconductor, silicon solar cells. He has been an editor of The Journal of Physical Chemistry since 1993 and served as Senior Editor. He has reviewed numerous papers for various scientific magazines.
His research includes the following
- The effects of size quantization on semiconductor nanocrystals
- The nanostructures of quantum dots, wells and how well they can convert solar photons.
- Photoelectrochemistry (the study of light through electrochemical systems) of a semiconductor molecule, and their energy conversions.
- Photocatalysis, which is the acceleration of a photoreaction, in the presence of a catalyst.
- Magnetic and electrical properties of solids.
- Eureka Alert
- X. Wu, P. Sheldon, T.J. Coutts, D.H. Rose, and H. Moutinho; Application of Cd2SnO4Transparent Conducting Oxides in CdS/CdTe Introduction, p2
- http://www.nrel.gov/research_fellows/nozik.html National Renewable Energy Laboratory
- Nozik, Arthur J. (1996) Martin Karplus Editorial Note, J. Phys. Chem., 100 (7), pp 2457–2457
- MIT Technology Review: Silicon Nanocrystals for Superefficient Solar Cells
- Compound Semiconductor: III-V solar cells turn plants into powerhouses