Arthur Prince Chattock
|Arthur Prince Chattock|
|Born||14 August 1860
|Died||1 July 1934 (aged 73)
Chattock was educated at University College School and University College London. After a short time as an electrical engineer for Siemens he returned to University College, London to study under George Carey Foster. In 1885 he succeeded Silvanus P. Thompson at University College, Bristol as demonstrator in Physics. Chattock spent two years (1887-9) in Liverpool with Oliver Lodge where in February 1888 he worked on key experiments towards the understanding of radio waves.
Later he returned to Bristol and took up the chair of Physics in 1893. Chattock had to leave the university in 1910 as it struggled with its new university status, the acting head of the physics department role being taken by Arthur Mannering Tyndall. After leaving Chattock became a chicken farmer in Crowcombe, Somerset. But Tyndall invited Chattock back after the war in 1919 where he carried out definitive experiments on the gyromagnetic ratio of iron. He became a fellow of the Royal Society (FRS) on 13 May 1920 and finally retired in 1924. After retirement Chattock continued to publish about his research into poultry.
- "Arthur Prince Chattock. 1860-1934". Obituary Notices of Fellows of the Royal Society. 1 (3): 292. 1934. doi:10.1098/rsbm.1934.0012.
- Peter Rolands and J. Patrick Wilson (1994). Oliver Lodge and the invention of radio. PD Publications. ISBN 1-873694-02-4.
- Mott, N. F.; Powell, C. F. (1962). "Arthur Mannering Tyndall. 1881-1961". Biographical Memoirs of Fellows of the Royal Society. 8: 159. doi:10.1098/rsbm.1962.0012.
- Chattock, A. P.; Grindley, G. C. (1931). "The Effect of Change of Reward on Learning in Chickens". British Journal of Psychology. General Section. 22: 62. doi:10.1111/j.2044-8295.1931.tb00613.x.
- Chattock, A. P.; Grindley, G. C. (1933). "The Effect of Delayed Reward on the Maze Performance of Chickens". British Journal of Psychology. General Section. 23 (4): 382. doi:10.1111/j.2044-8295.1933.tb00675.x.
- Arthur Prince Chattock Obituary. (1934). Journal of the Society for Psychical Research 28: 278-279.
- "Obituary Notice". Journal of the Institution of Electrical Engineers. 75 (456): 833. 1934. doi:10.1049/jiee-1.1934.0198. Retrieved 27 June 2013.
- "Prof. A. P. Chattock, F.R.S". Nature. 134 (3375): 15. 1934. doi:10.1038/134015a0.