|Date of birth||1 December 1898|
|Date of death||23 January 1970(aged 71)|
|Original team(s)||Cobden (HFL)|
|Height||170 cm (5 ft 7 in)|
|Weight||71 kg (157 lb)|
1 Playing statistics correct to the end of 1931.
|Sources: AFL Tables, AustralianFootball.com|
Rayson was a rover who liked to use the stab kick and was recruited to Geelong from Cobden. He lined up at half forward in Geelong's 1925 premiership team. His son, Coleman Medalist Noel and another son Alan both played for Geelong.
7 August 1926
It is important to note that Main and Allen, (2002, p. 336) have, along with Feldman and Holmesby (1992), become confused between John Thomas "Jack" Shelton and the other St Kilda Shelton (John Frederick "Jack" Shelton). John Thomas "Jack" Shelton was not in the St Kilda team that played against Geelong at the Corio Oval on 7 August 1926, but John Frederick "Jack" Shelton did play for St Kilda on that day. Therefore, the "Shelton" mentioned in the account of the thuggery directed, particularly, at Rayson (who also worked as the caretaker at the Corio Oval), by members of the St Kilda team, and the account of the spectators' response to Rayson's injury (which included broken ribs), specifically directed at Shelton, refers exclusively to John Frederick "Jack" Shelton, and not John Thomas "Jack" Shelton (as Feldman and Holmesby, and Main and Allen have mistakenly supposed).
- The Argus, "Cobden", 13 October 1923. p. 5
- VFL list of Geelong and St Kilda players participating in the 7 August 1926 match.
- Football Sensations: Disgraceful Scenes: Police Intervention at Geelong, The Argus, (Monday, 9 August 1926), p.11.
- Football: Topical and Personal: Melee at a Melbourne Match, The (Adelaide) Advertiser, (Friday, 13 August 1926), p.25.
- Brawl at Geelong: Players and Spectators Fight: Picket Used in Melee, The Age, (Monday, 9 August 1926), p.7.
- A Spiteful Game, The Argus, (Monday, 9 August 1926), p.16.
- St Kilda Outplayed, The Age, (Monday, 9 August 1926), p.7.
- Arthur Rayson's statistics from AFL Tables
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Arthur Rayson.|
- Feldman, Jules & Holmesby, Russell, The Point of it All: The Story of the St Kilda Football Club, Playwright (on behalf of the St Kilda Football Club), (Sydney), 1992.
- Holmesby, Russell & Main, Jim (2007). The Encyclopedia of AFL Footballers. 7th ed. Melbourne: Bas Publishing.
- Main, J. & Allen, D., "Shelton, J.T. 'Jack'", pp. 335–337 in Main, J. & Allen, D., Fallen – The Ultimate Heroes: Footballers Who Never Returned From War, Crown Content, (Melbourne), 2002.