|Died||13 January 1971 (aged 84)|
|Alma mater||ETH Zurich|
|Awards||Marcel Benoist Prize (1942)|
Fellow of the Royal Society
|Institutions||Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich|
Education and career
The son of a teacher and school headmaster, he studied chemistry at the ETH Zurich, with a PhD in 1911, where he studied with Richard Willstätter. In 1912, he became a research assistant at the Kaiser Wilhelm Institute for Chemistry in Berlin, with Richard Willstätter, with whom he explored important insights on the importance of chlorophyll in carbon assimilation.
In 1917, he was appointed professor of chemistry at the Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich. In the same year, he was hired as head of the pharmaceutical department of the Sandoz (now Novartis) chemical factory in Basel. In this company, he was president from 1949 to 1956, Director from 1964 he held the office of President of the Board.
Together with Sandoz employees, he developed a range of methods for producing drugs. Thus, he developed the first isolation of ergot alkaloids (as ergotamine and ergobasine) and cardiac glycosides, which are used as a medicine for heart diseases and migraines. A continuous process for the production of soluble calcium salts was developed. He worked with Albert Hofmann.
- member of the German Academy of Natural Scientists Leopoldina
- Foreign member of the Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences
- Foreign Member of the Royal Society
- 1959 Paul Karrer Gold Medal
- Ruzicka, L. (1972). "Arthur Stoll 1887-1971". Biographical Memoirs of Fellows of the Royal Society. 18: 566. doi:10.1098/rsbm.1972.0021.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2012-05-25. Retrieved 2011-10-24.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- Willstätter Richard und Arthur Stoll: Untersuchungen über Chlorophyll: Methoden und Ergebnisse. Berlin 1913. VIII, 424 S.
- Willstätter, Richard und Arthur Stoll: "Über die chemischen Einrichtungen des Assimilationsapparates." Berlin. 1915. In: Sitzungsberichte der Königlich Preussischen Akademie der Wissenschaften, 1915, II., S.322-346.
- Willstätter, Richard und Arthur Stoll: Über die Assimilation ergrünender Blätter. Berlin 1915.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2012-04-25. Retrieved 2011-10-24.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2011-10-01. Retrieved 2011-10-24.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)