Arthur Wallace Pickard-Cambridge
Sir Arthur Wallace Pickard-Cambridge (20 January 1873 – 7 February 1952) was a British classicist and one of the greatest authorities on the theatre of ancient Greece in the first half of the 20th century.
He served as a fellow and tutor at Balliol College, Oxford (1897-1929), Professor of Greek at the University of Edinburgh (1928-1930). and Vice-chancellor of Sheffield University from 1930 to 1938. He was elected a fellow of the British Academy in 1934, and knighted in 1950 "For services to education", just two years before his death.
I rank examinations as they are treated in most schools as among the worst enemies to education, to freedom of thought, and independence of judgment.
Everything is done for us nowadays: we have lost our independence of thought. On every side we see men like sheep taking passively what is given to them.. getting even their standard of taste from the radio in this 'Switch it on' and 'Put me through' age.
—Address to the Congress of Universities of the British Empire, 1936
- 1912. The Public Orations of Demosthenes translated in two volumes: Volume 1 online
- 1914. Demosthenes and the Last Days of Greek Freedom 384-322 BC New York & London : G.P. Putnams, 1914.
- 1927. Dithyramb Tragedy and Comedy. Oxford: Oxford UP, 1997. ISBN 0-19-814227-7.
- 1946. The Theatre of Dionysus in Athens Oxford: Oxford UP, 1946. 2nd ed., 1956; reprinted 1966, 1973.
- 1953. The Dramatic Festivals of Athens 2nd ed. Oxford: Clarendon P, 1988. ISBN 0-19-814258-7.
- Pickard-Cambridge, Arthur Wallace, Sir, (1918). Memoir of the Reverend Octavius Pickard-Cambridge. Oxford: Printed for private circulation.
- British Academy fellowship record Archived 6 June 2011 at the Wayback Machine.
- Arthur William Chapman, The story of a modern university: a history of the University of Sheffield, published for the University of Sheffield by Oxford University Press, 1955, p.xiii
- , 2 Jan 1950, Page 2, Supplement to the London Gazette
- Daily Mirror, 7 September 1935
- :—Daily Mirror, 18 July 1936
- The Times, 9 February 1952
- Works written by or about Arthur Wallace Pickard-Cambridge at Wikisource
- Works by Arthur Wallace Pickard-Cambridge at Project Gutenberg
- Works by or about Arthur Wallace Pickard-Cambridge at Internet Archive
William Henry Hadow
| Vice-Chancellor of the University of Sheffield
|This biography article of a United Kingdom academic is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|