Arthur Wellesley, Marquess of Douro
|Marquess of Douro|
31 January 1978 |
St Mary's Hospital, London, United Kingdom
Christ Church, Oxford
|Spouse(s)||Jemma Kidd (m. 2005)|
|Parent(s)||Charles Wellesley, 9th Duke of Wellington
Princess Antonia of Prussia
Arthur Gerald Wellesley, Marquess of Douro (born 31 January 1978 at St Mary's Hospital in Paddington, London) is the son of Charles Wellesley, 9th Duke of Wellington. The Wellesleys are an aristocratic Anglo-Irish family. Through his mother, Princess Antonia of Prussia, he is great-great-grandson of Kaiser Wilhelm II. As a descendant of Queen Victoria, he is eligible to succeed to the British throne.
Born Earl of Mornington, he was educated at Eton College and Christ Church, Oxford. He is a partner in merchant bank, Charterhouse Capital Partners: coincidentally, one of his professional rivals is a descendent of the first Marquess' adversary, Napoleon Bonaparte.
In 2005 he married makeup artist and fashion model Jemma Kidd, great-granddaughter of Lord Beaverbrook. Since 2014, following the succession of his father as Duke of Wellington he is now known by the courtesy title of Marquess of Douro.
- Lady Mae Madeleine Wellesley (born 4 January 2010 at Chelsea and Westminster Hospital in London)
- Arthur Darcy, Earl of Mornington (born 4 January 2010 at Chelsea and Westminster Hospital in London)
- Lord Alfred Wellesley (born 10 December 2014)
Lord Douro is the heir apparent to the Dukedom of Wellington and to the titles Prince of Waterloo and Duke of Ciudad Rodrigo. The first two titles can only be inherited in the male line, while the last can also devolve upon the holder's daughters.
The Marquess of Douro still owns 1,083 hectares of private farmland in Belgium in the region of Nivelles, gifted by the King of the Netherlands after the battle of Waterloo. It makes him one of the biggest land owners in the Belgian nobility.
Titles and styles
In the United Kingdom:
- 31 January 1978 – 30 December 2014: The Right Honourable The Earl of Mornington
- 31 December 2014 – present: The Most Honourable The Marquess of Douro
In the Netherlands and in Belgium:
- Chassany, Anne-Sylvaine (June 12, 2015). "Waterloo reprised in a genial City setting". Financial Times.
- Lord Welleley page at thePeerage.com http://www.thepeerage.com/p10377.htm#i103767
- http://announcements.telegraph.co.uk/births/110252/mornington. (2010). Birth announcements. The Daily Telegraph.
- Duke has great-grand-Kidds
|Lines of succession|
The Duchess of Wellington
|Line of succession to the British throne
descended from Victoria, Princess Royal, daughter of Queen Victoria
Earl of Mornington
|Page of Honour to Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother