|This article relies largely or entirely upon a single source. (October 2009)|
||This article's tone or style may not reflect the encyclopedic tone used on Wikipedia. (May 2010)|
Artificial architecture, also referred to as algorithmic architecture and algorithmic design, is the research area combining architectural design and artificial intelligence. It can be considered a subfield of design computing, with emphases on artificial intelligence, computational creativity and knowledge engineering. The main objectives of this field are:
- Development of algorithms to partially simplify or automate architectural design and urban planning tasks.
- Definition of computable models of architectural knowledge, as general and flexible as possible.
- Automatic generation of variations on architectural features, structures and objects.
The term has been popularized by the Department of Artificial Architecture (Institute of Artificial Art Amsterdam), where remarkable efforts in this area have been made employing visual grammar to generate random specifications of 3-dimensional objects and structures.
The concept of artificial architecture was theoretically proposed and thoroughly used in the title and the content of a PhD Thesis developed at Polytechnical University of Madrid (Spain): Arquitectura Artificial o Manierismo por Computadora (Artificial Architecture or Computer Aided Mannerism).
- Francisco Javier Fernández Herrero (2002) Arquitectura Artificial o Manierismo por Computadora (Artificial Architecture or Computer Aided Mannerism), PhD Thesis, E.T.S. Arquitectura (Polytechnical University of Madrid, Spain)
- Artificial intelligence
- Artificial life
- Building Information Modeling
- CAD (Computer-Aided Design)
- CAAD (Computer-Aided Architectural Design)
- CLAC (Computer-Aided Logical Composition)
- Computational creativity
- Design computing
- Digital morphogenesis
- Knowledge engineering
- F. Javier Fernández Herrero (2002), Arquitectura artificial o manierismo por computadora, ISBN 84-609-7651-3, ISBN 978-84-609-7651-6
- F. Javier Fernández Herrero (2006), Arquitectura artificial o manierismo por computadora, ISBN 1-84728-268-7, ISBN 978-1-84728-268-2
- F. Javier Fernández Herrero (2006), Artificial Architecture or Computer Aided Mannerism, movie. (Digital Video Disc)
- Kostas Terzidis (2009), Algorithmic Architecture, ISBN 0-7506-6725-7
- Department of Artificial Architecture (Institute of Artificial Art Amsterdam)
- Kostas Terzidis Faculty Profile at the Harvard Graduate School of Design
- Artificial Architecture Video Channel
- Arquitectura Artificial 1.0, VIDA 6.0. Art&Artificial Life International Competition
|This architecture-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|