Louise Blouin Media
Louise Blouin Media is an art magazine, website, and book publishing company founded by Louise Blouin. It publishes titles including Art+Auction, Gallery Guide, Culture+Travel and Modern Painters magazines. A web site, artinfo.com, was launched in 2005, and later changed to blouinartinfo.com. It has editions in Australia, Canada, China, Germany, Hong Kong, Brazil, India, Russia and the UK. Louise Blouin Media owns Somogy, a French art book publisher, and databases Art Sales Index and Gordon's.
Former executives and contributors at Louise Blouin Media include: Ben Crawford; former Conde Nast editorial director James Truman, who was made CEO and resigned in 2006; and James Conley, group chief financial officer, who resigned a week later. Former Village Voice film critic J. Hoberman began writing for blouinartinfo in 2012.
In December 2011, Louise Blouin Media was sued for defamation in United States district court for a September 16, 2011 article written by Noah Charney on blouinartinfo.com, in which Charney stated that a forensic art expert "was part of a family of art forgers, and that he had been planting the forensic evidence into the questionable works himself."
In 2010, an article in the New York Post noted controversy over payments to freelance writers for the arts publications of Blouin's company. One group, WAAANKAA (Writers Angry At Artinfo Not Kidding Around Anymore), demanded back payments of $18,000. In December 2013, Artinfo.com abruptly laid off 25 international employees. The New York Observer posted a 1,000-word internal email from Louise Blouin to staff explaining that the move was part of a new direction in which "One person doing all and not good we need less of one but many more." In February 2014, the New York Post reported that two former executives were suing Blouin for $250,000 in pay and commissions.
- Zena Olijnyk (December 5–25, 2005), Louise Blouin MacBain — The Art-World Aficionado, Canadian Business Magazine. Archived March 18, 2006.
- Linda Sandler (March 27, 2006), Art Publisher MacBain Revamps Magazines, Focuses on New York, Bloomberg, retrieved August 2013
- Anthony Haden-Guest (October 29, 2005), War of Vision on the Web (PDF), FT, retrieved August 2013
- Dan Duray (April 13, 2012).Louise Blouin Announces Blouin Artinfo Brazil. Gallerist. Retrieved August 2013.
- [s.n.] (November 14, 2012). Global arts and culture conglomerate opens India chapter. The Times of India. Retrieved August 2013.
- Keith Kelly (October 18, 2006), Blouin in the Wind: CFO Follows CEO Out Artsy LTB Media's Door, NY Post, retrieved August 2013
- Marc Graser (February 17, 2012). Ex-Voice critic Hoberman lands gig. Variety. Retrieved August 2013.
- Adam Klasfeld (December 12, 2011). "Gawker Brought Into New Yorker Fracas". Courthouse News Service. Retrieved August 2013.
- Keith J. Kelly (16 July 2010). Didn’t get paid by Louise Blouin? Get in line. New York Post. Accessed December 2013.
- Dan Duray (13 December 2013) Blouin Media, Publisher of Art+Auction and Modern Painters, Terminates Most International Freelance Contracts. New York: observer.com. Accessed April 2015.
- Keith J. Kelly (14 February 2014) Former execs sue Blouin Media. New York Post.