|Developer||Core team, Developer team, Support staff|
|Latest release||2020-02 / February 14, 2020|
|Platforms||AMD64 and ARM64|
|Kernel type||Monolithic (Linux)|
|Default user interface||LXQt, LXDE, MATE, Cinnamon, Plasma, XFCE|
Artix Linux has its own package repositories but, as a pacman-based distribution, can use packages from Arch Linux repositories or any other derivative distribution, even packages explicitly depending on systemd. The Arch User Repository (AUR) can also be used.
Artix initially offered two installation environments, a base command-line ISO image and the graphical Calamares installer based on LXQt desktop with an i3 version following later. Those early versions featured the OpenRC init system. The latest installation media are available in a variety of desktop environments like LXDE, XFCE, MATE, Cinnamon and KDE Plasma 5. Additionally, two unofficial community editions featuring GTK and Qt desktops and a larger software base are offered, aiming at too-busy-to-customise or less experienced users. All current installation media come in OpenRC, runit and s6 versions.
An early review published on DistroWatch on 27 November 2017 found a few bugs, but overall "Artix is working with a good idea [...] It's minimal, it is rolling and it offers a little-used init system. All of these I think make the project worthwhile." More critic, another review at the time from linux-community.de concluded "the results so far are not exactly motivating." Much more favourable reviews were later featured in both sites. A review from Softpedia gave Artix a 5 out of 5 stars rating, noting its "beautiful and pleasant graphical environments." Distrowatch readers' reviews on Distrowatch are mostly very favourable, with an average rating of 8.5.
- "These people started Artix". ArtixLinux.
- "These people make Artix run". ArtixLinux.
- "These people take care of the community". ArtixLinux.
- "Archlinux, systemd-free". systemd-free.artixlinux.org. Retrieved September 4, 2019.
- "OpenRC & eudev on Arch / AUR Issues, Discussion & PKGBUILD Requests / Arch Linux Forums". bbs.archlinux.org. Retrieved September 4, 2019.
- "Return of the Jedi". systemd-free.artixlinux.org/news.php. Retrieved April 14, 2020.
- "Manjaro-openrc will be discontinued". Manjaro Linux Forum. July 28, 2017. Retrieved September 4, 2019.
- "Early Artix Linux ISOs". Retrieved April 8, 2020.
- "Early Artix Linux ISOs / i3". Retrieved April 8, 2020.
- "Artix Linux minimal ISOs". Retrieved April 8, 2020.
- "Artix Linux community ISOs". Retrieved April 8, 2020.
- "First Artix Linux review at Distrowatch". Retrieved April 4, 2020.
- "New Arch Linux variant without systemd". Retrieved September 26, 2020.
- "Artix Linux 20200125". Retrieved September 26, 2020.
- "Small and compact: Artix - Arch Linux without Systemd". Retrieved September 26, 2020.
- "A simple, fast, systemd-free operating system based on Arch Linux and OpenRC or Runit". Retrieved April 27, 2020.
- "Reader supplied reviews for Artix Linux". Retrieved April 8, 2020.