February 29, 1976|
Yerevan, Armenian Soviet Socialist Republic, USSR
|Citizenship||USSR → Armenia → Russia|
Artur Janibekyan (Armenian: Արթուր Օթարիի Ջանիբեկյան, Russian: Артур Отариевич Джанибекян) (born February 29, 1976) is the Head of the "Gazprom Media Holding" JSC (sub-holding of entertainment channels), founder of Comedy Club Production.
- 1993–96— advertiser, administrator, project coordinator, film set director at Sharm company.
- from 1994— one of the founders and director of the New Armenians KVN (Club of the Funny and Inventive) team (won the 1997 Top KVN League Championship).
- 2000–05— producer for the New Armenian Radio program on the Russian Radio station.
- 2001–02— producer for the 'Good Evening with Igor Ugolnikov' program on STS(a Russian TV channel).
In 2003 created comedy show Comedy Club along with his comedy sketch friends. Comedy Club introduced Russian viewers to comedy. Since 2005 Comedy Club has aired on TNT (a Russian TV channel) till nowadays.
In 2007 founded the multi-functional producer center Comedy Club Production, where he serves as CEO and general producer till nowadays. This year GQ magazine (Russia) named Artur Person of the Year in the 'Producer of the Year' category.
In 2008 – launched 24-hour humor channel Comedy TV.
In November 2009 – opened restaurants called Comedy Café.
In 2012 – “Media-Manager of Russia 2012” award for 'outstanding achievements in creating brands and TV programs, as well as for the largest business deal in the history of Russian television and content production.’
On March 30, 2015 the "Gazprom Media Holding" JSC announced about establishment of the entertainment channels sub-holding, which included four terrestrial TV channels: TNT, TV-3, «Friday!» и «2х2», as well as Comedy Club Production and «А Plus production» (former Good Story media). Artur Janibekyan took charge of the sub-holding of entertainment.
In 2015, Artur Janibekyan entered the top 5 best managers in the country in the media business in the annual rating of “TOP-1000 Russian Managers” based on results of expert voting of top managers of the Russian Managers Association (RMA). The rating is published annually in the daily business publication “Kommersant”.
On January 1, 2016, the sub-holding GPM RTV under the guidance of Artur Janibekyan started a new TV channel TNT-4, the viewing grid of which comprises the best library projects of the TV channel TNT from the moment of its broadcasting.
In June 2016, Artur Janibekyan also became the head of the TV channel TNT in the position of the General Director.
On July 7, 2016, Artur Janibekyan became the prize winner of the competent professional award “Media-Manager of Russia 2016”. He got a golden statuette “For establishment and effective management of sub-holding of entertainment TV channels of Joint-Stock Company “Gazprom-Media-Holding”.
In 2016, projects of two TV channels being the part of the sub-holding GPM RTV received 7 statuettes of the major Russian Television Award “TEFI” in the categories “Daily air” and “Evening prime”.
On July 6, 2017, Artur Janibekyan, General Director of “Gazprom-Media Entertainment Television” and the channel TNT, was awarded the title of laureate of the XVIIth National Award “Media Manager of Russia - 2017” for the third time. The award was received in the category “Federal Media Holdings” for “development and effective management of the sub-holding, for outstanding achievements in creating entertaining and humorous content”.
In 2017, projects of TNT and “Friday!” channels, Comedy Club Production and Good Story media, part of the GPM RTV sub-holding, won 4 TEFI statuettes in the categories “Daily air” and “Evening prime”.
Personal initiatives and public activity
Co-owner of JAZZVE, a chain of coffee shops in Armenia and Russia.
Artur holds workshops for students of the Skolkovo MBA program; he is also a member of the Snob discussion club.
One of the founders and sponsors of the Ayb Educational Center, the first innovative Armenian educational center comprising a school, a church, a community center and a kindergarten all combining the best traditions of Armenian education and cutting-edge technology in the field of education. He holds educational master classes. 
Initiator and sponsor of a project for the erection of two sculptures in Yerevan, Armenia – 'The Life of Eternity' by David Yerevantsi (glorifies two Armenian women who saved the most valuable ancient manuscript, 'Mushsky Izbornik', during the genocide) and the sculpture 'Men' by David Minasyan, inspired by the eponymous film directed by the famous Edmond Keosayan.
In 2013 – lectured on 'Trends in Russian Media' for students at Columbia University.
Founder of the Cultural Renaissance Fund that aims to revive Armenian folk music. Unprecedented work was carried out with the support of the Fund to restore and record and create a digital music library and launch a worldwide portal of Armenian national folk and sacred music www.armenianmusic.am, where you can find a digital music library that includes Armenian folk songs, samples of Armenian medieval music, instrumental music, and Ashik songs (about 600 tracks).
Supporter of the research and educational non-governmental organization, Wikimedia Armenia, to preserve, develop and promote the Armenian language and the intellectual and cultural heritage of Armenia.
Producer and sponsor of 'The Book' (2013), a documentary film directed by V. Mansky. In 2014 the film was shown during the official program of the documentary film 'Free Thought' at the 36th Moscow International Film Festival.
Being the supporter of the ideas of the Armenian poet, philosopher and theologian St. Grigor Narekatsi (Gregory of Narek); Artur organizes and sponsors all events and activities associated with his name and work in Armenia.
In 2016, in Armenia Artur Janibekyan was awarded the first-class medal “For Merit for the Motherland”.
As the founder of the Cultural Renaissance Fund, Artur Janibekyan developed the “Saroyan House” project, within the frames of which the mansion of the American writer and playwright of Armenian origin William Saroyan, located in Fresno, California, will be turned into a museum house. The works will end, and the house-museum will be open for visits in August 2018 - to the 110th anniversary of the birth of the great writer.
The name of Artur Janibekyan, as a name of Armenian who loves the church and the people of the Armenia, is immortalized in a bas-relief in the Cathedral of the Holy Transfiguration of the Lord of the Armenian Apostolic Church in the city of Moscow.
In 2016, an open letter “The Future of the Armenian Nation is Decided Now” was published in the newspapers The New York Times and “Hayastani Hanrapetutiun” (“Republic of Armenia”) on the initiative of IDeA Fund, being timed to the 110th anniversary of the All-Armenian Charitable Union (AGBU). The letter calls on individuals, organizations, state and public institutions of Armenia to rethink the future, to unite efforts for development of the Armenian people. The letter was signed by the world's most famous Armenians living in different countries: Ruben Vardanyan, Noubar Afeyan, Vartan Gregorian, Charles Aznavour, Lord Ara Darzi, Samvel Karapetyan, Artur Janibekyan and others.
In January 2017 Artur Janibekyan presented to the Cathedral a part of the relics of St. Gregory the Illuminator, acquired at one of the auctions in Paris, where relics of the Armenian culture and unique church ornaments were presented.
In 2017, 120 years after the first edition, one of the most important pearls of Armenian sacred music, the Sacred Liturgy of Makar Yekmalyan, was released in Yerevan. The liturgy, classic of the Armenian sacred music, was reissued with new notes and additions due to the initiative of the “Cultural Renaissance” Foundation and personally its founder Artur Janibekyan.
- Comedy Club (2005, TNT )
- Nasha Russia (2006, TNT)
- Celebrities against Karaoke (2006, TNT)
- Beshenl Geographic (2007, TNT)
- No-Rules Laughing (2007, TNT)
- The Smash League (2007, TNT)
- The Smash Night (2008, TNT)
- Comedy Woman (2008, TNT)
- Univer (2008, TNT)
- Show News (2008, TNT)
- Dom-2 (2009, TNT)
- The Smash Evening (2009, TNT)
- Two Antons (2009, TNT)
- Proverb Busters (2010, DTV)
- New Comedy Club (2010, TNT)
- The Ideal Man (2010, STS)
- Comedy Battle (2010, TNT)
- Nezlobin and Gudkov (2010, MTV)
- The Interns (2010, TNT)
- Univer. New Dorm (2011, TNT)
- Comedy Club in Jūrmala (2013, 2014, TNT)
- SashaTanya (2013, TNT)
- KhB (2013, TNT)
- Nezlob (2013, TNT)
- Stand Up (2013, TNT)
- No sleep! (2014, TNT)
- What a morning! (2014, TNT)
- Danc-off (2014, TNT)
- Once upon a time in Russia (2014, TNT)
- Adulteries (2015, TNT)
- Show of improvisations (2015, TNT)
- Where's the logic? (2015, TNT)
- Hot and bothered (2015, TNT)
- Borodach. To understand and forgive (2016, TNT)
- Open microphone (2017, ТНТ)
- Love is… (2017, TNT)
- “Soyuz Studio” (2017, TNT)
- The Best Movie (2008)
- The Best Movie 2 (2009)
- Our Russia. The Balls of Fate (2010)
- The Best Movie 3 (2011)
- The Parrot Club (2014)
- The Book (2014)
- Gogol. The Beginning (2017)
- Gogol. Viy (2018)
Family and personal life
His father, Otari Akopyan, was a top-level political party member in Soviet times.
His mother, Ella Akopyan, was a dentist.
His sister, Lilit Akopyan, works in an international organization.
Married to Elina Janibekyan. They have three children: two sons, Narek and Aram, and one daughter, Eva.
- "Gazprom-media purchased Comedy club". korrespondent.net. Retrieved 2015-10-23.
- "Transaction with humour". Газета.Ru. Retrieved 2015-10-23.
- Rating of Top Managers “Kommersant” Newspaper, 2015
- Media Manager of Russia 2017
- TEFI 2017, winner of the “Humorous Program/Show” nomination
- Master-class of Artur Janibekyan at “Ayb” School, 13.10.2017
- Web-site of Armenian national folk and sacred music
- “Global Armenians” Ad in NY Times сalls for “inclusive leadership” in Armenia, 28.10.2016, 28.10.2016
- Official site of Comedy Сlub (in Russian)
- Comedy Club – list of the most successful Russian projects – Forbes Magazine, 03.08.2006 (archived from the primary source 29.10.2014)
- About Artur Janibekyan – Snob Magazine, 2008 (archived from the primary source 29.10.2014)
- «The Best Movie» hits the box offices – «Kommersant» Newspaper, 30.01.2008 (archived from the primary source 24.07.2014)
- Artur Janibekyan – E-xecutive.ru – «Comedy Club» is doomed to be eternal, 08.04.2009 (archived from the primary source 07.08.2014)
- «Comedy» put a price on laughter – «Kommersant» Newspaper, 26.03.2010 (archived from the primary source 24.07.2014)
- Conveyor-belt humor – «Kommersant» Newspaper, 29.03.2010 (archived from the primary source 24.07.2014)
- Artur Janibekyan – «Kommersant» Newspaper – Entertainment TV in Russia—liberal as possible, 08.04.2010 (archived from the primary source 07.08.2014)
- New season of «Comedy Club» to start on April 23rd on TNT – RIA Novosti, 08.04.2010 (archived from the primary source 24.07.2014)
- Artur Janibekyan – «Kommersant» Newspaper – Intimidation works best in business, 12.04.2010 (archived from the primary source 23.07.2014)
- Students and interns join «Comedy Club» – «Kommersant» Newspaper, 08.09.2010 (archived from the primary source 24.07.2014)
- In 2010 sales covered production costs for only six Russian movies («Nasha Russia: The Balls of Fate») «RBK Daily», 29.12.2010 (archived from the primary source 24.07.2014)
- Comedy is breaking down in «Dom-2» – «Kommersant» Newspaper, 14.01.2011 (archived from the primary source 24.07.2014)
- Half a billion dollars for «Comedy Club». – Radio «Business FM», 11.04.2012 (archived from the primary source 01.08.2014)
- Artur Janibekyan –«Aeroflot» magazine – The seven-time fake, May 2013[permanent dead link]
- Artur Janibekyan —«Aeroflot Premium»—On cultural differences, solar energy and the true meaning of humor, May 2013[permanent dead link]
- Comedy Club Production – list of the content producers – Forbes Magazine, 12.12.2013 (archived from the primary source 29.10.2014)
- Artur Janibekyan – sponsor of the Ayb Educational Center (archived from the primary source 18.08.2014)
- Artur Janibekyan – sponsor of the Ayb Educational Center – about the Ayb Educational Center (archived from the primary source 23.07.2014)
- Artur Janibekyan – sponsor of the sculpture ‘The Life of Eternity’ by David Yerevantsi, 2012 – «National idea» website (archived from the primary source 07.08.2014)
- Artur Janibekyan – sponsor of the sculpture ‘The Life of Eternity’ by David Yerevantsi, 2012 – «New Times» magazine (archived from the primary source 07.08.2014)
- Artur Janibekyan – sponsor of David Manisian’s sculpture ‘The Men’- «Armenian Travel Agency» (archived from the primary source 07.08.2014)
- Artur Janibekyan – sponsor of David Manisian’s sculpture ‘The Men’- website «DeFacto» – interviewed by David Manisian (archived from the primary source 07.08.2014)
- Artur Janibekyan – lecture at Columbia University, 09.11.2013 – Columbia Sipa (School of international and Public Affairs at Columbia University) website (archived from the primary source 07.08.2014)
- Artur Janibekyan – lecture at Columbia University. LifeNews.ru. (archived from the primary source 07.08.2014)
- Artur Janibekyan – producer of «the Book» with Vitaly Mansk, 2014 – website of the 36th Annual Moscow Film Festival (archived from the primary source 07.08.2014)
- Artur Janibekyan – producer of «the Book» – Mediamax website (archived from the primary source 07.08.2014)
- Artur Janibekyan – The Order of St. Grigor (Gregory) the Illuminator – Armenian Apostolic Church website (archived from the primary source 07.08.2014)
- Arthur Janibekyan have led "GasProm Media" entertainment television(in Russian)
- The founder of Comedy Club has become the head of 4 TV channels of "GasProm Media" (in Russian)
- "Gazprom Media" approved the new strategy for building up non-advertising profits – Interfax, 03.07.2015 (in Russian)
- The New Economic Strategy of Gazprom Media Holding – the World of modern media – GENEFIS.RU, July 4, 2015 (in Russian)
- Restructuring in “Gazprom-media” has been completed and a new model of management of a group of entertainment TV channels has been introduced – Newspaper “Kommersant” - 27.07.2016 (authentically archived on September 27, 2016)
- A new federal TV channel TNT4 starts broadcasting in Russia – RIA Novosti - 01.01.2016 (authentically archived on September 27, 2016)
- Chinese media company JSBC acquired from TV channel TNT the rights to produce “Interns” – RBK – 28.04.2016 (authentically archived on September 27, 2016)
- The show Comedy Club will be included in a cultural program of the stage «Formula-1» in Sochi – RIA Novosti – 29.02.2016 (authentically archived on September 27, 2016)
- Artur Janibekyan – Media-Menager of Russia! – tnt-online.ru – 08.07.2016 (authentically archived on September 27, 2016)
- “The Future of the Armenian Nation is Decided Now” - “Development Initiatives of Armenia” Charitable Foundation, 28.10.2016
- Charles Aznavour, Samvel Karapetyan, Ruben Vardanyan, Artur Janibekyan and other prominent Armenians call for unification - THE RUSSIAN-ARMENIAN INFORMATION AGENCY, 28.10.2016
- White Studio: Artur Janibekyan (archived from the primary source 10.07.2017)
- The Director of the Cultural Renaissance Fund, the head of the project “Armenian National Music Treasury”, Marina Sultanyan about a unique digital music library – web-site “Nasha Sreda” (archived from the primary source 10.07.2017)
- Artur Janibekyan - founder of the Intellectual Renaissance Fund, web-site of the fund (archived from the primary source 10.07.2017)
- Artur Janibekyan - founder of the Intellectual Renaissance Fund, his page on Facebook
- Artur Janibekyan - “Saroyan house” project, opening of the house-museum, web-site of the Russian-Armenian News Agency (archived from the primary source 10.07.2017)
- Arthur Janibekyan presented to the Moscow Armenian Church a part of the relics of St. Gregory the Illuminator – web-site of the Church (archived from the primary source 10.07.2017)
- Arthur Janibekyan presented to the Moscow Armenian Church a part of the relics of St. Gregory the Illuminator – see on Youtube (archived from the primary source 10.07.2017)
- 120 years later the Holy Liturgy of Makar Ekmalyan was published in Yerevan - News.am website, 30.06.2017 (archived from the primary source 10.07.2017)
- Artur Janibekyan Foundation reissued the Sacred Liturgy of Ekmalyan - Rusarminfo.ru website, 01.07.2017 (archived from the primary source 10.07.2017)
- Laureates of the “Media Manager of Russia – 2017” were handed out awards - Information Agency of Russia TASS, 07.07.2017 (archived from the primary source 10.07.2017)
- “Blue Bird” program, Maxim Galkin and Comedy Club were awarded with TEFI, TASS, 03.10.2017
- “Gazprom-Media” TV channels received 9 TEFI awards, Gazprom-media.com, 04.10.2017