Arturo Azcorra in Madrid, March 2010
November 11, 1962
Santurce, Vizcaya, Spain
|Alma mater||Universidad Politécnica de Madrid (UPM) (Technical University of Madrid)|
|Known for||Research on network science, telecommunications and telematics|
|Website||IMDEA Networks site UC3M site|
|Fields||Computer Science, Telematics (Information and Communications Technology) and Telecommunications Engineering|
|Institutions||Universidad Carlos III de Madrid (Charles III University of Madrid) IMDEA Networks Institute|
|Thesis||[permanent dead link] Modelado formal de sistemas síncronos (1990)|
Arturo Azcorra (born November 8, 1962, in Santurce, Spain) is a Spanish computer scientist and telecommunications engineer, who is recognized as a pioneer of internet and network science research in Spain, as well as a promoter of telematics as a scientific and academic discipline born from the integration of telecommunications and informatics.
Life and career
Azcorra graduated from Loy Norrix High School (Michigan, USA) in 1980. In 1986, he received his M.Sc. degree in Telecommunications Engineering from the Universidad Politécnica de Madrid (UPM) (Technical University of Madrid) (Madrid, Spain), with the "Sobresaliente" (Outstanding) grade, and was subsequently awarded the Price Waterhouse Prize for Best Student in 1986. He then obtained his Ph.D. in Telecommunications Engineering from the same university in 1989, receiving the National Award COIT-AEIT-ANIEL (AMETIC) for Best Thesis (Premio Nacional a la Mejor Tesis Doctoral). In 1993, he obtained an MBA from the Instituto de Empresa, graduating first in his class.
He began his career in the Madrid Metropolitan Company (Compañía del Metropolitano de Madrid), where he developed the software for ten-trip tickets and monthly passes, while simultaneously performing research work in telecommunications at the UPM. He was an Associate Professor at UPM from 1989 to 1998, the year he moved to the Universidad Carlos III de Madrid (UC3M) (Charles III University of Madrid) where he became Full Professor and founder of the NETCOM Research Group on Networks and Communication Technologies, which he has coordinated since, at the Department of Telematics Engineering. He was later on appointed Deputy Vice-Provost for Academic Infrastructures at the UC3M and held this post from 2000 to 2007. He was a Visiting Researcher at ICSI University of California at Berkeley (USA) in 1999 and at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) (USA) in 2002. In 1998 he was appointed Director of the UC3M Telefónica Chair and worked in this role until 2009. In June 2002 he earned the distinction of being named IEEE (Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers) Senior Member. From 2003-2008 he was Director of REDIMadrid, the Telematics Research Network of the Community of Madrid. From 2006 to November 2009 he was Director of the international research IMDEA Networks Institute.
In November 2009 he was appointed Director General for Technology Transfer and Corporate Development at the Spanish Ministry of Science and Innovation (MICINN)(now known as Ministry of Economy and Competitiveness / Ministerio de Economía y Competitividad - MINECO), a position he held until his appointment as Director General at the Centre for the Development of Industrial Technology (Centro para el Desarrollo Tecnológico Industrial - CDTI), an agency of the MICINN, on May 30, 2010. In February 2012 he resigned as Director General of CDTI and returned to his post as Full Professor at the Department of Telematics Engineering at Universidad Carlos III de Madrid and Director of IMDEA Networks Institute.
He has participated in or directed 57 advanced research projects, mainly in the Framework Programmes for Research and Technological Development of the European Union ESPRIT, RACE, ACTS, IST and ICT. He was the coordinator of the European Networks of Excellence E-NET, E-NEXT and CONTENT, and of the European project CARMEN, and he is currently coordinating the EU projects 5G-TRANSFORMER (ends December 2019) and 5G-CROSSHAUL (ends December 2017). He has licensed technological developments in telecommunications for Ericsson-Telebit Denmark, NEC Europe and Huawei China. He has also performed advisory and technological consulting work for organizations such as Servicom, the European Space Agency, MFS-Worldcom, the Community of Madrid, RENFE, REPSOL, the Spanish Ministry of Education, Culture and Sports (Ministerio de Educación, Cultura y Deporte), Ericsson-Telebit and the Spanish Ministry of Science and Technology. He is a Member of the Advisory Board of the Future Internet PPP, European Commission, since February 2012. He was a member of the Steering Board of the European Union 5G Public-Private Partnership (5G-PPP) during its inception period 2013 to 2015. From 2013 to 2017 he was also a member of the Steering Board of the NetWorld2020 European Technology Platform (ETP) (formerly Net!Works & ISI ETPs), to which he remains engaged as Chairman of its Expert Advisory Group. Since 2014 he is partnership Board member and member of the Vision Group within the 5G Infrastructure Association, and since 2015 he is Vice-Chairman of the Steering Board of the 5TONIC Laboratory.
Arturo Azcorra is the founder of the ACM CoNEXT conference series, of which he was the first General Chair. He is a member of the Standing Committee of the IEEE INFOCOM Conference since 2005, and has chaired prestigious international conferences such as IEEE INFOCOM, ACM CoNEXT and PROMS-IDMS. He has authored over one hundred and eighty technical publications in journals and international and national conferences.
- Kshitiz Verma, Gianluca Rizzo, Antonio Fernández Anta, Rubén Cuevas, Arturo Azcorra (2012), Greening the Internet: Energy-Optimal File Distribution, In: 11th IEEE International Symposium on Network Computing and Applications, NCA 2012, August 23–25, 2012, Cambridge, MA, USA
- Michal Kryczka, Rubén Cuevas, Carmen Guerrero, Arturo Azcorra (2011), Unrevealing the structure of live BitTorrent Swarms: methodology and analysis, In: The IEEE International Conference on Peer-to-Peer Computing (P2P 2011), 31 August - 2 September 2011, Kyoto, Japan
- Arturo Azcorra, Michal Kryczka, Alberto García-Martínez (2010), Integrated routing and addressing for improved IPv4 and IPv6 coexistence, IEEE Communications Letters, 14. pp. 477–479. ISSN 1089-7798. May 2010
- Guillermo Ibáñez, Alberto García-Martínez, Arturo Azcorra, Ignacio Soto (2008), ABridges: Scalable, self-conﬁguring Ethernet campus networks, Computer Networks Journal, 52 (3). pp. 630–649. ISSN 1389-1286. February 2008
- Marcelo Bagnulo, Alberto García-Martínez, Arturo Azcorra (2006), BGP-like TE Capabilities for SHIM6, In: 32nd EUROMICRO Conference on Software Engineering and Advanced Applications (EUROMICRO-SEAA 2006), August 2006, Dubrovnik, Croatia
- Albert Banchs, Arturo Azcorra, Carlos García, Rubén Cuevas (2005), Applications and Challenges of the 802.11e EDCA mechanism: An Experimental Study, IEEE Network Magazine, 19 (4). Pág. 52-58. ISSN 0890-8044. July 2005
- Marcelo Bagnulo, Alberto García Martínez, Arturo Azcorra, Efficient Security for IPv6 Multihoming, ACM SIGCOMM Computer Communications Review, 35 (2). pp. 61–68, April 2005
- Niels Engell Andersen, Arturo Azcorra, Erik Bertelsen, Jorge Carapinha, Lars Dittmann, David Fernandez, Jen Kristian Kjaergaard, Iain McKay, Janusz Maliszewski, Zdzislaw Papir, Applying QoS Control through Integration of IP and ATM, IEEE Communications Magazine, 38 (7). pp. 130–136. July 2000
- Pedro J. Lizcano, Arturo Azcorra, Josep Solé-Pareta, Jordi Domingo-Pascual, Manuel Alvarez-Campana, MEHARI: A System for Analysing the Use of the Internet Services, Computer Networks: The International Journal of Computer and Telecommunications Networking, 31 (21). pp. 2293–2307. November 1999
- Arturo Azcorra, Enrique J. Hernandez-Valencia, Julio Berrocal, David Larrabeiti, IP/ATM Integrated Services over Broadband Access Copper Technologies, IEEE Communications Magazine. 37 (5). pp. 90–97. May 1999
- María Calderón, Marifeli Sedano, Arturo Azcorra, Cristian Alonso, Active Network Support for Multicast Applications, IEEE Network 12 (3). pp. 46–53. ISSN 0890-8044. May/June 1998
- Juan Quemada, David De Frutos, Arturo Azcorra, TIC: A Timed Calculus, Formal Aspects of Computing, 5 (3). pp. 224–252. ISSN 0934-5043. May 1993
- Guillermo Agustín Ibáñez Fernández, Juan Antonio Carral Pelayo, Alberto García Martínez, Arturo Azcorra, Data frame routing method and network bridge (Procedimiento de encaminamiento de tramas de datos y puente de red), Patent WO2010097489 A1, US20120044837 A1
- Carlos Jesús Bernardos Cano, Ignacio Soto Campos, María Calderón Pastor, Arturo Azcorra, Albert Banchs Roca, Procedimiento y dispositivo de gestion de movilidad IP localizada basada en la red, red de acceso y dispositivos de paserala de acceso fijos y moviles a dominios con movilidad IP localizada, Spanish Patent ES2360678
- Guillermo Agustín Ibáñez Fernández, Arturo Azcorra, Alberto García Martínez, Procedimiento de gestión de enlaces en el nivel de enlace de datos para redes de comunicaciones, procedimiento de encaminamiento de tramas de datos, dispositivo de interconexión de redes y red que combina ambos procedimientos, Spanish Patent Application No. P200702358 OEPM
- COITT AMETIC is born (in Spanish)
- Arturo Azcorra's personal website at the Department of Telematics, UC3M
- Scientific Workshop held in 2006 where Arturo Azcorra appears as Director of REDIMadrid (in Spanish), May 4, 2006
- Arturo Azcorra takes over new responsibilities at the Spanish Ministry of Science and Innovation (in Spanish), November 2, 2009
- Arturo Azcorra appointed Director General for Technology Transfer and Corporate Development at the Spanish Ministry of Science and Innovation (in Spanish), October 22, 2009
- Government of Spain-La Moncloa: Reference of the Council of Ministers held on Friday: Royal Decree appointing D.Arturo Azcorra as Director General of Technology Transfer and Corporate Development Archived December 24, 2013, at the Wayback Machine. (in Spanish), October 16, 2009
- Arturo Azcorra, new Director General at CDTI, (in Spanish), May 30, 2010
- CDTI Appointment of Arturo Azcorra (in Spanish), May 30, 2010
- Arturo Azcorra takes office as Director General of CDTI, the Spanish Centre for the Development of Industrial Technology
- Arturo Azcorra's public profile at IMDEA Networks
- Arturo Azcorra's personal website at IMDEA Networks
- "Towards 5G, February 20, 2014".
- "NetWorld2020 Expert Advisory Group".
- "Article in El Mundo newspaper announcing the launch of the 5G Infrastructure Association: “Una red mil veces más rápida” (in Spanish), February 24, 2012".
- "Telefónica signs multilateral agreements to boost 5G technologies in Spain, December 9, 2015".
- Arturo Azcorra’s full list of publications
- IMDEA Networks Institute
- NETCOM Research Group on Networks and Communication Technologies
- Universidad Carlos III de Madrid
- 5TONIC laboratory
- COITT-Revista Antena de Telecomunicación, núm.177 September 2009: Interview with Arturo Azcorra, Director at IMDEA Networks: “En una o dos décadas, las comunicaciones cuánticas podrían impregnar nuestra vida diaria”, (in Spanish), September 2009
- Arturo Azcorra's article on El País: "La innovación es el único camino" (in Spanish), June 18, 2010
- Madri+d: Interview with Arturo Azcorra, Director General of Technology Transfer and Corporate Development at the Spanish Ministry of Science and Innovation (MICINN): "La Estrategia Estatal de Innovación tiene como objetivo ampliar el número de empresas innovadoras y la intensidad de su compromiso con la innovación" (in Spanish), March 10, 2010
- Universidad Carlos III de Madrid Cinco Días: Interview with Arturo Azcorra, Director General of CDTI: "Queremos ir hacia un modelo de mayor riesgo y rentabilidad" (in Spanish), July 26, 2010
- El Mundo | Innovadores: Interview with Arturo Azcorra about 5G communications research: “El 'epicentro' de todas las redes” (in Spanish), June 18, 2014
- Universidad Carlos III de Madrid - Oficina de Información Científica: Interview with Arturo Azcorra, Professor at UC3M: “El 5G transformará nuestra forma de percibir y relacionarnos con el mundo que nos rodea” (in Spanish), September 19, 2016