The Artxanda Funicular (Basque: Artxandako Funikularra; Spanish: Funicular de Artxanda) is a funicular railway in the city of Bilbao in Spain's Basque Country. It links downtown Bilbao with the recreational area at the summit of the nearby Artxanda Mountain, which has a park, several restaurants, a hotel, a sports complex, and offers panoramic views of the city.
A rack railway to the top of the Artxanda mountain was first proposed in 1901, but not built due to lack of finance. The current funicular was opened in 1915. During the Spanish Civil War the funicular was damaged by bombing, but reopened in 1938. The funicular closed in 1976 after an accident that injured several employees of the operating company, and did not reopen again until April 1983. The line was closed again in August of the same year, as a result of flood damage, and did not reopen until November.
The Bilbao departure point of the funicular is just north of Zubizuri bridge, on the right bank of the River Nervion, within walking distance of the Guggenheim Museum. Services run every 15 minutes throughout the day. Tickets can be bought at the stations, or the Creditrans card can be used.
In 2005 the total number of passengers carried by the Artxanda Funicular was 453,000, a 5% increase on the previous year. The funicular is run by the Funicular de Artxanda S.A., a company wholly owned by the Municipality of Bilbao.
The funicular has the following technical parameters:
- Length: 770.34 meters
- Height: 226.49 meters
- Maximum steepness: 44,98 %
- Capacity: 70 people per car
- Trip time: 3 minutes
- Maximum speed: 5 metres per second
- Configuration: Single track with passing loop
- Traction: Electricity
- "Brief History of the Funicular de Artxanda". Funicular de Artxanda, S.A. Retrieved February 8, 2007.
- "How to get to the Funicular de Artxanda". Funicular de Artxanda, S.A. Retrieved February 8, 2007.
- "Funicular de Artxanda - Timetable / Prices". Funicular de Artxanda, S.A. Retrieved February 8, 2007.
- "Reports on Public Transport". Biscay Transport Consortium. Retrieved February 14, 2007.
- "Funicular de Artxanda - Home Page". Funicular de Artxanda, S.A. Retrieved June 6, 2007.
- "Funicular de Artxanda - Technical Characteristic". Funicular de Artxanda, S.A. Retrieved February 8, 2007.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Funicular Artxanda.|
- Artxanda Funicular web site (in English)