|IATA: RUA – ICAO: HUAR|
|Owner||Uganda Civil Aviation Authority|
|Elevation AMSL||3,951 ft / 1,204 m|
Arua Airport (IATA: RUA, ICAO: HUAR) is a civilian airport serving the city of Arua in the Northern Region of Uganda. The airport is 19 kilometres (12 mi) from Uganda's border with the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) and about 32 kilometres (20 mi) from the border between Uganda and South Sudan. It is approximately 371 kilometres (231 mi) by air north-west of Entebbe International Airport, Uganda's largest airport.
Arua Airport is the second-busiest airport in Uganda, behind Entebbe International Airport. Its strategic location makes Arua Airport an important center for passenger and cargo air traffic between Uganda and its two neighbors, the DRC and South Sudan.
Airlines and destinations
|Eagle Air||Entebbe, Yei|
In July 2009, the Civil Aviation Authority of Uganda, which owns and operates Arua Airport, publicly announced that it had started to upgrade the airport to international standards. Plans included a modern airport terminal with capacity for 200 passengers, paving the runway, widening it to 45 metres (148 ft), and extending it to 2.5 kilometres (8,200 ft).
These improvements are part of efforts to improve Arua Airport, Gulu Airport, and Kasese Airport to international standards. When these improvements are complete, Uganda will have four international airports, including the only preexisting international airport at Entebbe.
Arua Airport is one of twelve upcountry airports administered by the Uganda Civil Aviation Authority. It is also one of five upcountry airports authorized to handle cross-border air traffic from member countries of the East African Community, part of an effort to promote tourism within Eastern Africa.
- "Airports in Uganda". aircraft-charter-world.com.
- Eagle Air May 2014 Timetable, http://eagleair-ug.com/scheduled-flights/flight-times
- "Upgrading of Arua airfield commences". New Vision. 9 July 2009. Archived from the original on 12 July 2009.
- Arua airport project stalls Uganda Daily Monitor 18 July 2013
- CAA begins paying compensation Uganda Radio Network 7 January 2016
- "East Africa tourism report". eTurboNews.com. 22 January 2009.
- Uganda CAA
- "Aerodromes". Uganda Civil Aviation Authority.[dead link]
- Location of Arua Airport at Google Maps
- Uganda Civil Aviation Authority
- Eagle Air Uganda
- Airport information for HUAR at Great Circle Mapper.
- Aeronautical chart for HUAR at SkyVector
- OpenStreetMaps - Arua