|Acting Under Secretary of Energy|
March 2011 – June 2012
|Preceded by||Kristina M. Johnson|
|Succeeded by||David B. Sandalow (Acting)|
|Director of Advanced Research Projects Agency-Energy|
September 2009 – June 2012
|Preceded by||Position established|
|Succeeded by||Cheryl Martin (acting)|
|Education||Indian Institute of Technology, Bombay (BS)|
University of California, Berkeley (MS, PhD)
Arunava "Arun" Majumdar is a materials scientist, engineer, and professor who was nominated for the position of Under Secretary of Energy between November 30, 2011 and May 15, 2012 but then the nomination was retracted. He was previously the Director of the Environmental Energy Technologies Division at the Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, where he was also deputy director of LBNL as well as professor of mechanical engineering at the University of California, Berkeley. He was nominated to be the first director of the U.S. Department of Energy's Advanced Research Projects Agency-Energy (ARPA-E) and appointed to that position in September 2009.
In 2012, he joined Google to drive Google.org's energy initiatives and advise the company on their broader energy strategy. He is now the Jay Precourt Professor at Stanford University, where he serves on the faculty of the Department of Mechanical Engineering and is a Senior Fellow of the Precourt Institute for Energy. He also served on the Engineering and Computer Science jury for the Infosys Prize from 2012 to 2016.
He completed his PhD at University of California, Berkeley after a bachelor's at Indian Institute of Technology Bombay. His scientific work is in the fields of thermoelectric materials, heat and mass transfer, thermal management, and waste heat recovery. He has published several hundred papers, patents, and conference proceedings, and is a member of the National Academy of Engineering. He served as one of the Science Envoys of the US in 2014.
In November 2020, Majumdar was named a volunteer member of the Joe Biden presidential transition Agency Review Team to support transition efforts related to the United States Department of Energy, Federal Energy Regulatory Commission, and the Nuclear Regulatory Commission.
- "President Obama Announces More Key Administration Posts". U.S. Department of Energy. Retrieved 30 November 2011. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Presidential Nominations and Withdrawal Sent to the Senate". whitehouse.gov. May 15, 2012.
- llbl-nomination (September 18, 2009). "White House nominates Berkeley Lab's Majumdar to head key DOE agency". Berkeley Lab News Center. Retrieved 2009-10-03. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Dr. Arun Majumdar - Energy". Stanford University. Retrieved 10 November 2020. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Infosys Prize - Jury 2016". Retrieved 1 March 2021.
- Arun-website. "Arun Majumdar's publications".
- "Agency Review Teams". President-Elect Joe Biden. Retrieved 10 November 2020. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)