Arvada West High School
|Arvada West High School|
|11595 Allendale Drive
Arvada, Colorado 80004
|School type||Public secondary|
|School district||Jefferson County Public Schools|
|Teaching staff||87.60 (FTE)|
|Student to teacher ratio||19.39|
|Campus size||23 acres (93,000 m2)|
|Color(s)||Purple and white|
|Slogan||Excellence is our expectation|
|Athletics conference||Jefferson County League|
|Mascot||Willie the Wildcat|
Arvada West High School was contracted in 1961 and opened in 1963.
Student groups and activities include art club, care team, chess club, Close-Up, color guard, DECA, diversity club, drum line, EPYCS, FCCLA, Future Educators, French club, German club, GSA, Link Crew, math club, mock trial, National Honor Society, newspaper, Peace Jam, philosophy club, Spanish club, student government, theatre, ultimate frisbee, vocal music, and yearbook.
The school's athletic teams, known as the Arvada West Wildcats, compete in CHSAA class 5A in the Jefferson County League. Teams are fielded in interscholastic competition in baseball, basketball, cheerleading and poms, cross country, football, golf, gymnastics, soccer, softball, swimming and diving, tennis, and volleyball.
State championship titles held by the school include:
- Baseball: 1994 (6A)
- Cheerleading: 1993 (6A)
- Girls' basketball: 1978 (AAA)
- Boys' cross country: 1974 (I)
- Football: 1972 (AAA), 1997 (5A)
- Girls' soccer: 1987
- Softball: 1993 (6A), 1994 (6A), 1995 (5A), 1996 (5A), 1999 (5A), 2000 (5A)
- Boys' track and field: 1975 (AAA), 1994 (6A), 2014 (5A)
- Girls' track and field: 1976 (AAA), 1977 (AAA)
- Volleyball: 1977 (AAA)
- Wrestling: 1988 (AAA), 1992 (6A), 2014 (5A), 2015 (5A)
- Roy Halladay (1995) - MLB pitcher for the Toronto Blue Jays and Philadelphia Phillies
- Barry Kooser (1987) - artist, painter, animation filmmaker, CCO of Worker Studio
- Kevin McDougal (1995) - NFL player
- Jayne McHugh - member of the United States women's national volleyball team in the 1988 Summer Olympics
- Casey Malone (1995) - Olympic discus thrower
- Brad Pyatt - NFL player for the Indianapolis Colts in 2003-2006; CEO of the company MusclePharm
- John Roush - University of Oklahoma football player; drafted by the San Diego Chargers in the 1975 NFL Draft
- "Arvada West High School". Geographic Names Information System. United States Geological Survey. Retrieved 2009-10-19.
- "School Detail for Arvada West High School". National Center for Education Statistics. Retrieved January 19, 2016.
- "Place Names Directory - Arvada West High School". Jefferson County, Colorado Archives & Records Management.
- Cummins, Cathy (1998-02-21). "West Arvada seeks silver lining in new high school". Rocky Mountain News.
The school, funded through a bond issue approved in November, will cost $26 million and alleviate pressure on overcrowded Arvada West High School.
- "State Team Champions" (PDF). Colorado High School Activities Association. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2008-12-30.
- Willis, Paul (2007-07-04). "Halladay's talent was obvious early on". Rocky Mountain News. Archived from the original on 2009-06-03.
As a high school player at Arvada West, Roy Halladay was physically superior to his peers and was a cinch for the all-conference team.
- "Hughes Stadium memories: A letter by Kevin McDougal". Coloradoan. Retrieved 10 September 2016.
- "Feddersen earns Olympic berth". Denver Post. 1992-01-26. p. 3B.
A reception at Arvada West High School will begin at 2:30 pm Tuesday for Jayne Gibson McHugh, a 1978 graduate of the school and member of the 1988 US...
- "Casey Malone". USA Track & Field. 2009-12-28.
- Moss, Irv (1989-10-25). "Unruh opted for warmth". Denver Post.
John Roush of Arvada West was an all-Big Eight and All-America guard...