The Lake of Pareloup
|Canton||Monts du Réquistanais|
|• Mayor (2014-2020)||Gilles Bounhol|
|46.91 km2 (18.11 sq mi)|
|• Density||17/km2 (43/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+01:00 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+02:00 (CEST)|
|Elevation||606–929 m (1,988–3,048 ft) |
(avg. 730 m or 2,400 ft)
|1 French Land Register data, which excludes lakes, ponds, glaciers > 1 km2 (0.386 sq mi or 247 acres) and river estuaries. 2 Population without double counting: residents of multiple communes (e.g., students and military personnel) only counted once.|
The inhabitants of the commune are known as Arvieunois or Arvieunoises.
- 1 Geography
- 2 History
- 3 Administration
- 4 Population
- 5 Culture and heritage
- 6 Notable people linked to the commune
- 7 See also
- 8 Notes and references
Arvieu is located some 23 km south by south-east of Rodez and 7 km north of Alrance. Access to the commune is by the D56 road from Pont-de-Salars in the north-east passing through the commune and the village and continuing south to Durenque. The D82 branches off the D56 north of the village and goes north to Flavin. The D577 branches off the D56 in the south of the commune and goes west to Salmiech. The commune is entirely farmland except for some small patches of forest.
The eastern border of the commune is the Lac de Pareloup. The Céor river rises in the east of the commune and flows west through the village then south forming part of the western border before continuing west to join the Viaur at Saint-Just-sur-Viaur. The Ruisseau de Glauzeilles rises in the north of the commune flowing west then south-west, forming the north-eastern border of the commune, to join the Céor. The Ruisseau de Calieres rises in the east of the commune and flows north to join the Vioulou just north of the commune.
- Les Auglanes
- Le Besset
- Bois de Nouet
- Bois Grand
- Le Bose
- La Brauge
- La Calmette
- Cayras Bas
- Les Cazals
- Les Combes
- Le Coutal
- La Croix de l'Ouradou
- Fau du Dours
- Les Faux
- Font Bonne
- Girman Bas
- Girman Haut
- La Graille
- La Lumiere
- Mas Roux
- Le Mas Roussel
- Le Mas Vayssettes
- Le Mouli
- Le Moulin d'Aigles
- Le Moulin de la Gineste
- N.-D d'Aures
- Le Pouget
- La Pendarie
- Pauhle Rouby
- La Pendarie
- La Plane
- Le Puech
- Puech d'Anglas
- Puech Cabane
- Le Puech de Clauzelles
- Puech d'Espinous
- Puech de Girman
- Le Puech Granier
- Puech de Grima
- Puech Grimal
- Le Rhan
- Les Rials
- Rochers du Diable
- le Roucan
- Le Rueillou
- Saint-Martin des Faux (partly in Arvieu and partly in Salles-Curan)
- Les Sottes
- There are traces of the Gallo-Romans
- In the 16th century the village was besieged
- In the 18th century the Vigouroux family of Rodez bought the Lordship
- The Arvieu Affair: The village was attacked by a band of counter-revolutionaries from the former Army of Charrié who hid in the Palanges Forest. The house of Citizen Bonnefous, the leading citizen of the commune, was pillaged. Many people were accused of supporting the attackers who were from the de Barrau family of Carcenac-Salmiech.
- The ramparts were destroyed in the 19th century.
|[[Image:|120px|center|Arms of Arvieu]]||Blazon:|
Party per bend sinister, at 1 Azure with a Cross of Malta of Or; at 2 Gules, a lion Argent.
List of Successive Mayors
- Mayors from 1941
(Not all data is known)
Culture and heritage
- A Feudal Château Sainte-Famille (a former convent).
- The Château of Saint-Louis (now the Town Hall).
- The Château of Montfranc (Arvieu, private property).
- A Pond, Mill, and Lavoir (Public laundry) at Arvieu.
- The Church of Notre-Dame d'Aures (12th centuries) is registered as an historical monument. The church contains a Statue of Saint Foy (15th century) which is registered as an historical object.
- The Parish Church of Saint-Amans at Arvieu had a Painting: The Assumption of the Virgin (disappeared) (1850) which is registered as an historical object.
- The Church of Saint-Saturnin or Saint-Sernin at Caplongue.
- The Church of Saint-Martin at Faux.
- The Chapel of Saint-André at Clauzelles.
- Jean Dupin, (1936-), former senior Post Office official, wrote seven novels set in Lévézou, originally from Arvieu village.
- Joël Serin, former secretary in the Town Hall.
- Henri Grimal, born in Arvieu in 1910, academic and historian.
- Christian-Pierre Bedel, preface by Bernard Destours, Cassanhas: Arviu, Auriac, Caumont, La Grand'Vila, Saumièg, Senta-Jaleda or Christian-Pierre Bedel e los estatjants del canton de Cassanhas, Rodez, Mission départementale de la culture, 1996, Al canton collection, 240 pages, ill., couv. ill., 28 cm, ISBN 2-907279-30-0, ISSN 1151-8375, BnF 366930046 (in French)/(Occitan)
- Arvieu official website (in French)
- Arvieu tourism website (in French)
- Arvieu on the National Geographic Institute website (in French)
- Arvieu on Lion1906
- Arvieu on Google Maps
- Arvieu on Géoportail, National Geographic Institute (IGN) website (in French)
- Arvieu on the 1750 Cassini Map
- Arvieu on the INSEE website (in French)
- INSEE (in French)
Notes and references
- Inhabitants of Aveyron (in French)
- Google Maps
- Géoportail, IGN, consulted on 4 May 2014 (in French)
- Henri Grimal, The Affair of Arvieu (October 1793), Revue du Rouergue, No. 87, New series, Autumn 2006, pp. 349 to 382. (in French)
- List of Mayors of France (in French)
- Ministry of Culture, Mérimée PA12000030 Church of Notre-Dame d'Aures (in French)
- Ministry of Culture, Palissy PM12000002 Statue: Saint Foy (in French)
- Ministry of Culture, Palissy IM12000212 Painting: Assumption of the Virgin (in French)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Arvieu.|