|Vice Chairman of NITI Aayog of India|
September 30, 1952 |
|Alma mater||Rajasthan University, India
Arvind Panagariya is an Indian-American economist and a professor of economics at Columbia University, who is the current Vice-Chairman of the Niti Aayog of India. He was previously Chief Economist at the Asian Development Bank. In the past, he has been a professor of economics at the University of Maryland at College Park. He has also worked for the World Bank, International Monetary Fund, World Trade Organization, and the United Nations Conference on Trade and Development (UNCTAD). He holds a Ph.D in economics from Princeton University.
Panagariya has written or edited ten books. His most recent book, India: The Emerging Giant, was published in March 2008. It was described as the ‘definitive book on the Indian economy’ by Fareed Zakaria. He has appeared on Bloomberg TV India for the show "Transforming India With Arvind Panagriya" On Jan 5, 2015, he was appointed Vice-Chairman of the National Institution for Transforming India Aayog, the replacement for the Planning Commission. Panagariya is also heading analysing the data of the Socio Economic and Caste Census 2011.
- http://pib.nic.in/newsite/mbErel.aspx?relid=114338 PIB notice on NITI Aayog
- Arvind Panagariya: The revival of optimism
- Arvind Panagariya: Narendra Modi's real report card
- 5 things you should know about Arvind Panagariya
- Transforming India With Arvind Panagriya
- "Govt sets up expert group to collate caste census data".