As Good as I Once Was
|"As Good as I Once Was"|
|Single by Toby Keith|
|from the album Honkytonk University|
|Released||May 9, 2005|
|Toby Keith singles chronology|
"As Good as I Once Was" is a song co-written and recorded by American country music singer Toby Keith that reached the top of the Billboard Hot Country Songs chart. This song and his 2003 single "Beer for My Horses" are both his longest-running Number One hits, each having spent six weeks at Number One. "As Good As I Once Was" was released in May 2005 as the second single from Keith's album Honkytonk University. Keith wrote the song with Scotty Emerick.
The song was named BMI's song of the Year for 2006. It has since become one of Keith's signature songs, as well as one of his most successful.
The narrator, a man approaching or in middle age and apparently sitting in a bar, is put into situations that test his masculinity. Having outlived his glory days, he insists he now is no longer "as good as (he) once was" in his younger days, but although he no longer has the stamina to do what he used to do all the time, he can still be "as good, once, as (he) ever was." Examples given include a set of twins who want to draw him into a threesome and a fight against two rednecks and a "big bad biker man" to bail his buddy out of a botched pool hustle.
Matt Bjorke writing for About.com stated "the song is a good one, so good that it rivals anything off of Toby's "How Do You Like Me Now?!" album. It's a fun track about getting older, and how we don't have as much "energy" as we once had." Sputnik Music called it "a testament to how much old age sucks" while Allmusic declared the song was "wonderfully self-depreciating".
Kevin John Coyne, reviewing the song for Country Universe, gave it a negative rating. He said that "does anybody believe, unless they knew the size of his bank account, that two hot twins would approach Toby in a crowded bar and request a threesome?" 
"As Good as I Once Was" debuted at number 37 on the U.S. Billboard Hot Country Singles & Tracks for the week of May 21, 2005.
|US Hot Country Songs (Billboard)||1|
|US Billboard Hot 100||28|
|US Billboard Hot 100||84|
|US Country Songs (Billboard)||2|
- Bjroke, Matt. "Toby Keith – Honky Tonk University". About.com - Country Music. Retrieved 2010-07-13.
- "Toby Keith Honkytonk University". Sputnik Music. 2005-08-15. Retrieved 2010-07-13.
- Erlewine, Stephen Thomas. "Honkytonk University Review". Allmusic. Retrieved 2010-07-13.
- Coyne, Kevin John (2005-05-21). "Toby keith - "As Good as I Once Was"". Country Universe. Retrieved 2010-06-17.
- "Toby Keith Chart History (Hot Country Songs)". Billboard.
- "Toby Keith Chart History (Hot 100)". Billboard.
- "Hot 100 Songs Music Chart". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. 2005. Retrieved August 12, 2017.
- "Best of 2005: Country Songs". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. 2005. Retrieved June 16, 2012.