As the World
|as the world|
|Studio album by echolyn|
|Released||March 7, 1995|
As the World is an album by the progressive rock band Echolyn, released in 1995. It features many complex arrangements and vocal harmonies, showing at times the influence of classic progrock bands such as Gentle Giant and Genesis.
Track 1, "All Ways The Same" is a short instrumental intro to the album, a string ensemble piece composed by echolyn keyboardist Christopher Buzby and performed by studio violinists and echolyn members (laying down the vocals) where it was recorded in Nashville.
Track 2, "As The World" begins in A minor with acoustic guitar and vocals with a simple percussion. As bass and drums are added, vocal harmonies come into play, as well as an organ continuo by Buzby. Toward the middle of the song, the syncopated vocals and contrapuntal instrumentation perhaps remind the listener of a Gentle Giant influence on this song more than most other echolyn pieces.
Track 16, "Never the Same" is the most requested song at live performances. Echolyn guitarist Brett Kull has remarked about this apparent paradox, because while the group is hailed for being extraordinarily "proggy", the song is a relatively simple one in 3/4 time. This song marks the influence of The Beatles and Simon and Garfunkel more than the often-cited progressive rock influences.
- "All Ways the Same" (Echolyn) – 0:36
- "As the World" (Echolyn, Kull, Weston) – 4:50
- "Uncle" (Echolyn, Weston) – 6:54
- "How Long I Have Waited" (Buzby, Echolyn) – 4:43
- "Best Regards" (Buzby, Echolyn, Kull) – 4:11
- "The Cheese Stands Alone" (Buzby, Echolyn, Kull, Weston) – 4:48
- "Prose" (Echolyn) – 1:45
- "A Short Essay" (Echolyn, Kull, Weston) – 4:34
- "My Dear Wormwood" (Echolyn, Kull) – 3:34
- "Entry 11-19-93" (Echolyn, Weston) – 5:33
- "One for the Show" (Echolyn, Kull) – 4:31
- "The Wiblet" (Echolyn) – 0:47
- "Audio Verité" (Echolyn, Weston) – 4:27
- "Settled Land" (Echolyn, Kull, Weston) – 5:42
- "A Habit Worth Forming" (Echolyn, Weston) – 4:29
- "Never the Same" (Echolyn, Kull) – 7:54
- Christopher Buzby - keyboards, backing vocals
- Tom Hyatt - bass, Midi pedals
- Brett Kull - guitars, lead and backing vocals
- Paul Ramsey - drums, percussion
- Ray Weston - lead and backing vocals
- Orchestra Arranged and Conducted by Christopher Buzby
- Connie Ellisor - strings section leader
- Connie Ellisor - violin
- Ted Madson - violin
- Catherine Ulmstead - violin
- Pamela Sixfin - violin
- David Davison - violin
- Cate Meyer - violin
- Katherine Shenk - violin
- Carol Ellisor - violin
- Jim Grosjean
- Alan Ulmstead - viola
- Kris Wilkinson - viola
- Bob Mason - cello
- Sam Levine - piccolo, flute, recorder
- "allmusic ((( As the World > Overview )))". www.allmusic.com. Retrieved 2009-09-24.
- "DPRP Reviews - 2005 - Volume 48". www.dprp.net. Retrieved 2009-09-24.
- "ProgArchives (as the world)". www.progarchives.com. Retrieved 2015-07-22.
- "echolyn - As The World (CD, Album) at Discogs". www.discogs.com. Retrieved 2009-09-24.