||This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (October 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Member of National Assembly|
8 September 1961Rawalpindi, Pakistan
|Political party||Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (2012-present)|
|Education||Masters in Business Administration (MBA)|
Government College, KarachiInstitute of Business Administration, Karachi
Asad Umar (Urdu: اسد عمر ) (born 8 September 1961) born as Asad Farooq  is a Pakistani lawmaker and former business administrator . He is son of a retired Major General Ghulam Umar. Since his father was an army officer, he moved from one city to another and for that reason, all of them were born in different cities. He was born in Pindi in 1961 and after his father’s retirement, they decided to move to Karachi. While growing up, he wanted to be a GD pilot. In fact, the F104 Starfighter was the first love of his life.He served as CEO and President of Engro Corporation for 8 years during a 27-year career with the company with 4.5 lac income monthly. He resigned from his post at Engro and Joined Imran Khan led political party Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf on April 2012. He received Sitara-i-Imtiaz Pakistan.
Tenure at Engro
Umar's 27-year career at Engro began in 1985,when the company was still a subsidiary of ExxonMobil, the global oil giant. He joined the company as a business analyst, and was working for it abroad in Canada when the famous management buyout of Engro took place in 1991. Umar came back to Pakistan and in 1997 was appointed the first CEO of Engro Polymer & Chemicals, the chemical arm. Later on, he was elected as the President and CEO of Engro Corporation in January 2004 and transformed the business from a mere chemical company to a giant conglomerate. It was his idea to diversify into dairy and food business and today 'Engro Foods' stand as the highest profit producing subsidiary of Engro Corporation. It was in his tenure when Engro became the first Pakistani company to buy a business entity abroad when the company earlier in 2012 bought Canadian based food company 'Al Safa Halal'.
Asad Umar resigned as CEO of Engro Corporation on 19 April 2012 and joined Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf. At PTI, he will be part of committee to work on a draft paper to suggest economic reforms to take Pakistan out of current financial crisis. Asad Umar was appointed Central Senior Vice President of PTI on 21 April 2012. He was elected as a Member of the National Assembly of Pakistan for NA-48 Islamabad in a 2013 by-election. Asad Umar appointed as National Campaign Manager for 2013 General Elections. Asad Umar Appointed as Chairman PTI Policy Council.
- "Original Name". Ary News.
- "Winds of change".
- "EX Engro CEO Asad Umar joins PTI". Retrieved 2012-04-19.
- "Engro CEO Asad Umar decides to quit". Daily Times.com. 17 April 2012. Retrieved 2012-04-19.
- "Asad Umar, Ishaq Khakwani, Khwaja Hoti & Iftikhar Gillani appointed as Central Senior Vice Presidents Khwaja Hoti & Iftikhar". Retrieved 2012-04-25.
- "By-election: 32 per cent turnout in NA-48 by-election". 24 August 2013. Archived from the original on 23 August 2013.
- "Asad Umar appointed as National Campaign Manager for 2013 General Elections". 11 November 2012. Archived from the original on 23 July 2015.
- "Notification for Setting up a PTI Policy Council". 17 June 2015. Archived from the original on 5 July 2015.