Duraković was born in Stolac, Bosnia and Herzegovina and educated at the University of Zagreb in Zagreb, Croatia where he earned both master's and doctoral degrees. During this time he worked at the Ruđer Bošković Institute. Afterwards he continued with post-doctoral work at Oxford University. In 1968 he immigrated to Canada, where he attended McMaster University in Hamilton. He worked at the University of Toronto, the University of Washington, and University of Rochester (UofR). He has been associated with the Croatian Literary Journal. Durakovic is the one of the co-founders of Croatian Islamic Centre in Etobicoke, Toronto. Construction was over on June 23, 1973. Its mosque is the oldest in Toronto. The minaret is Osmani-style and it is the oldest minaret in Ontario.
In 1990, Duraković was one of the founders of the Croatian Muslim Democratic Party, formed in Zagreb.
Dr. Duraković, a former U.S. army Colonel, was Chief of the Nuclear Sciences Division of the Armed Forces Radiobiology Research Institute, and worked at the VA hospital in Wilmington, DE; he's been fired and blacklisted for refusing to discontinue his work on (medical problems of army Veterans caused by) DU and other kinds of WDU (Weapons Derived Uranium). To continue his work, he founded and is Medical Research Director of the Toronto-based Uranium Medical Research Centre. He is also a member of the Editorial Board of and contributor to the Croatian Medical Journal.
Duraković also founded the World Life Institute, an international non-profit humanitarian organization based in Orleans County, New York.
- Dark Sea-Weeds
- Smoke and Mist
- Paths of Ahasver
- From Bleiburg to Muslim Nation (Vedrina, Toronto, 1972)
- Status of Moslim People in Croatian National Community (Vedrina, Toronto, 1973)
- Croatian Medical Journal, March 1999 (Volume 40, Number 3)
His literary works were dedicated to Croatia's freedom, a dream of many generations of Croats. During the communist regime in his home country, he spoke about Croatia's need for freedom throughout the world. During the war in Croatia, he put all of his efforts in helping defend his homeland. His father's homeland is reflected in most of his verses. He has been an associate of the Croatian Literary Journal before and after the Croatian Spring Movement in 1971. Some of his works have been published in Barcelona in the anthology of Croatian young poets, edited by Vinko Nikolić and some in the Croatian Literary Journal (Barcelona) and in many other journals. He wrote several essays and books on Croatia's freedom...
- Dr Bill Deagle Talks To Robert Felix of IceAgeNow.Com & Dr Asaf Duraković about the unfolding events related to the crisis in Japan
Dr Duraković is a Croatian biomedical physician and expert in nuclear medicine and depleted uranium.
- Croatian mosque and Hadži Kerim Reis. H.A.
- Asaf Duraković, MD, PhD
- BH raja.ca - Toronto: "Hrvatska" džamija slavi 35 godina postojanja!, bhraja.com, June 24, 2008
- The Quantitative Analysis of Uranium Isotopes in the Urine of Civilians in Jalaabad, Afghanistan Asaf Durakovic, San Diego, HPS, 2003
- DemocracyNow! - Dr. Asaf Durakovic Gives a Rare Interview About Depleted Uranium in Iraq, January 30, 2003
- Search Results for author Durakovic A on PubMed.