|• Revised Romanization||Asan-si|
Location in South Korea
|Administrative divisions||2 eup, 9 myeon, 6 dong|
|• Total||542.25 km2 (209.36 sq mi)|
|Population (December 31, 2013)|
|• Density||529.41/km2 (1,371.2/sq mi)|
Asan is known for its hot springs and is a city of spas.
Asan has grown into the neighboring village, Onyang-dong, which is also known for its hot springs.
Asan should not be confused with Ansan, in Gyeonggi Province.
The city of Asan shares a station for the KTX high speed trains with the neighbouring city of Cheonan called Cheonan-Asan Station. It takes about 30 minutes to travel from Asan to Seoul by the KTX train. It can be reached within 2 hours from Incheon International Airport by car. Seoul Metropolitan Subway extended one of its lines to service Asan on December 15, 2008. Two major highways, the Seoul-Busan and West Coast expressways, also pass through Asan city.
Industry and commerce
Companies like Hyundai Motor, Samsung LCD, and Samsung Electronic have factories in Asan. A total of 14 industrial complexes are currently occupied by autoparts, electronic parts and other factories.
The Port of Pyeongtaek, closest to the east China coast among Korean ports, is nearby.
Asan is the home of five universities.
- Hoseo University
- Asan Information and Technology Polytechnic College
- Seonam University
- Soonchunhyang University
- Sun Moon University
Domestic secondary schools:
- Onyang Chinese Elementary School (溫陽華僑小學校/온양화교소학교)
Asan is homegrund of Wooribank wibee basketball team. ( K woman basktball League). In 2016, Wooribank basketball team moved their homeground city Chuncheon to Asan. Their home stadium is Yi Sun-sin stdium.
- In 1983, an alteration of townships (ri) and towns (myeon) was made.
- In 1986, Onyang eup (town) of Asan was separated and the independent city of Onyang was created.
- In 1995, the City of Onyang and Asan County were combined into the City of Asan.
Admiral Yi Sun-sin, who defeated the Japanese navy in the 16th century, lived for some time in Asan. There is a miniature replica of a turtle ship made famous by Admiral Yi on the outskirts of town.
Twin towns – Sister cities
- "溫陽華僑小學校." International School Information, Government of South Korea. Retrieved on March 30, 2016. "58 Samdong-ro 28beon-gil, Asan-si, Chungcheongnam-do, 336-802, Korea"
- lee, jinhak (2016-03-30). "wooribank basketball team move homeground to Asan".
- Provisional changes including Guri city and 11 cities and counties and permission of modification naming Naju.(1985.12.28.) from Constitution of the Republic of Korea
- "Sister City Programme". Sustainable Petaling Jaya 2030. Archived from the original on 21 December 2015. Retrieved 21 December 2015.
- "Lansing, Michigan". Sister Cities International. Retrieved 26 April 2014.