The City of Mines
|Mega City / Metropolitan City / Urban Agglomeration|
Asansol cityscape Clockwise from top: Asansol Railway Station, IISCO Steel Plant, TV Tower, Galaxy Mall, Asansol Engineering College, Asansol Indoor Stadium, Rabindra Bhavan, Eastern Coalfields Limited.
|Nickname(s): The City of Mines|
|Named for||Eastern Coalfields Limited, Indian Railways, Hindustan Cables, Chittaranjan Locomotive Works, IISCO Steel Plant, LICI, Kazi Nazrul University, Kazi Nazrul Islam Airport.|
|• Type||Civic Administration|
|• Body||Asansol Municipal Corporation asansolmunicipalcorporation
|• Mayor||Jitendra Tewari — AITC (Asansol Municipal Corporation)|
|• Commissioner of Police (CP)||Shri Ajay Kumar Nand, IPS on 25.05.2015 (Asansol-Durgapur Police Commissionerate)|
|• Mega City / Metropolitan City / Urban Agglomeration||127.3 km2 (49.2 sq mi)|
|Elevation||97 m (318 ft)|
|• Rank||35th most populated Urban Agglomeration in India|
|• Density||4,434/km2 (11,480/sq mi)|
|Demonym(s)||Asansolians / Asansolites/ Asansolbashi|
|• Official||Bengali, English|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
|Vehicle registration||WB 37 / WB 38 / WB 44|
|Sex ratio||1.08 ♂/♀|
|Lok Sabha constituency||Asansol (MP — Babul Supriyo — Bharatiya Janata Party)|
|Vidhan Sabha constituency||
Asansol Uttar (MLA — Malay Ghatak — AITC),Asansol Dakshin (MLA — Tapas Banerjee — AITC)
Asansol is a city in Bardhaman District in the Indian state of West Bengal. It is the second largest city in West Bengal after Kolkata and the 35th largest urban agglomeration in India. According to a 2010 report released by the International Institute for Environment and Development, a UK-based policy research non-governmental body, Asansol is ranked 11th among Indian cities. and 42nd in the world in its list of 100 fastest-growing cities. As per the recommendations of the Sixth Central Pay Commission, Asansol has been listed as a Y-category city for calculation of HRA (House Rent Allowance) for public servants. It is one of the three non-Z category cities in West Bengal apart from Kolkata, which belong to the X category making it a tier-II city.
- 1 Geography
- 2 History
- 3 Administration
- 4 Transport
- 5 Economy
- 6 Education
- 7 Media
- 8 Sports facilities
- 9 Places of interest
- 10 Climate
- 11 See also
- 12 Notes
- 13 Further reading
- 14 External links
Asansol is a cosmopolitan city located in Barddhaman District of the Indian state of West Bengal. It forms the lower Chota Nagpur plateau, which occupies most of Jharkhand. It is located between the Damodar and Ajay rivers. Another river, Barakar, joins the Damodar near Dishergarh. A small rivulet, Nunia, flows past Asansol.
The locations of Proper Asansol or neighbourhood in Asansol includes Kalipahari, Domahani, Ushagram, Murgasol, Upper Chelidanga, Lower Chelidanga, Mohishila, Ismile, Hill View Park, Sripally, East Apcar Garden, West Apcar Garden, Hindusthan Park, Rabindranagar, Kumarpur, Burnpur, New Town, Riverside, Surya Nagar, Gopalpur, Kanyapur, Kalyanpur, Dhadka, Gopalnagar, Railpar, Fathepur, Main Dhemo, Jhila, Shibpur, Nandi, Damodarpur, Jamuria, Kaithi, Pariharpur, Sripur, Kundlia, Joba, Khokhula, Nigha, Chanda, Bogra, Banali, Mithapur, Satgram, Ratibati, Amkula, Katagora, Bijpur, Balanpur, Mondalpur, Ikra, Sekpur, Mamudpur, Sarthakpur, Egra, Ballavpur, Jemari(J.K Nagar), Tirat, Raniganj, Searsole, Amrasota, Ronai, Kumarbazar, Mangalpur, Debipur, Duburdi, Indkata, Damagoria, Jamaldi, Chariptaria, Digari, Sabanpur, Barira, Lalbazar, Ramnagar, Manberia, Balitora, Kendua, Petna, Kulti, Lachhmanpur, Rampur, Calbalpur, Dedi, Kultora, Pupuri, Badirachak, Mahutdi, Shipur, Kuldi, Namagarara, Gangutia, Raydi, Barakar, Chungari, Mahatadi, Boldi, Narayanchak, Hatinal, Para, Jasaidi, Sanctoria, Dishergarh, Shitalpur, Monoharchak, Chotta Dhemua, Sodepur, Radhanagar, Asanboni, Bhanrra, Kalikapur, Sitarampur, Belrui, Lachhipur, Kumardiha, Neamatpur, Bamandiha, Aladhi, Methani, Kamalpur, Henrelgaria, Bejdihi, Paidi and Chinakuri.
The other major locations that are considered to be a part of Greater Asansol or suburbs of Asansol are Rupnarayanpur, Chittaranjan, Salanpur, Barabani, Jemari and Churulia.
While Dhanbad district lies on the western side, Durgapur sub division of Barddhaman district lies on the eastern side. To the south, across the Damodar river are the Purulia and Bankura districts. To the north are Dumka and Birbhum districts. Dhanbad district across the Barakar river in Jharkhand is also a major mining area and has close links with Asansol. Both lie in the Damodar valley.
A tryst with Asansol history divulge that the name Asansol is from two names – Asan the tree and sol which means a mineral enhanced land. The Asan tree is found here in abundance on the banks of the River Damodar. In addition, it is also a land packed with minerals.
As per the historical evidence, people of Dravidian and Austroloid descent colonized the region of Asansol. Around 2500 years ago, Asansol has been believed as an area of significant Jainism activities. According to a number of scholars, Mahavira Vardhamana - the last Tirthankar of Jain religion, used to stay and work in this region. Thus the name Bardhaman (Burdwan District) was accepted for the districts and headquarters of this city Asansol.
There are no of Jain temples to be located in Asansol and its adjacent locality and a Jain Bhawan. There are many Jain temples on the Pareshnath Hill in neighboring district of Jharkhand. There is also an old and pre-historic Jain place of worship on the bank of river Barakar, situated at Begunia. A flock of holy places in the neighboring Bankura district also put up with strong proof of major Jain activities in the area. There is a Jain temple and a Jain Bhawan in Asansol dedicated to Vasupujya – the 12th Tirthankara of Jain faith. This temple is to be found in the Mehta Road near Durga Mandir. All these put up with historical evidence of strong Jainism movement being in existence in the locality of Asansol, West Bengal. Several people believe that growth of Jainism in West Bengal is through Asansol.
History of Asansol and the Inhabitants Afterwards:
In the later years, Asansol was thought to have become a part of the vast Vishnupur Kingdom. This kingdom was governed by the great Malla dynasty, for about 1000 years until the advent of the British rule in India. A Vishnupur manner temple is to be seen in the Chhotodighari village of Asansol, which give proof to its connections with the Vishnupur Kingdom. Even the local language, traditions and customs of this area have closer similarity with those of Bankura and Vishnupur, rather than the other areas in the region of West Bengal and Jharkhand.
Asansol subdivision was a vital part of the Muslim empire who ruled earliest in the region. The Muslim rulers had made Bardhaman district as their major administrative centre during the times of their rule. Later on, it was allotted to Bardhaman Raj running under the Mughal rule. These all speak out of obvious evidence that the area was part of different kingdoms at different era of times.
History of Asansol and the East Indian Railway (EIR):
The coal and railways industry had begun to grow in Asansol, West Bengal, during the time of British East India Company. The East Indian Railway (EIR) required generously balanced land area to construct a road and rail system to run the Railways smoothly. Searsole was their apparent first option because of the much developed coal mines. But sadly, the Malias, the Raj family of Searsole (Raniganj) did not agree to the offer of conceding them with enough amount of land part. On the other hand, during 1863–1864, this prospect was grabbed by the Raj family of Panchakut (Cossipore, Adra). They sold a vast area of forest land to the East Indian Railway (EIR). Asansol was a part of this jungle territory, which was then known as "Shergarh". Afterward, it helped in guiding the establishment of Asansol, from the wilds of forests and jungles, to rapidly developing modern Industrial City.
Since then, railway buildings started growing all over Asansol in West Bengal. Soon after various Railway townships were raised and they get names like Loco Colony, Traffic Colony and Officers Colony. In 1877 the St. Vincent Technical School was started. The land was acquired from Railways at a very minimal cost. This school was expected to turn out skilled Mechanical and Electrical workers. In the year 1898 a Bengali mode school was opened which has now grown into the esteemed "Eastern Railway H S School".
Two glorious structures were setup in the heart of the city to offer amusement to the Railway staff. The first one was raised in 1878 close to the hospital. It obtains the name of 'European Institute' in 1915. In 1925 it was renamed as 'Durand Institute' after Sir Mortimer Durand, the planner of the famous Durand line between Afghanistan, Tibet and India. Now it was called 'Vivekananda Institute' from 1987. This Institute has the honor of being the first recreational institute on the entire Indian Railways. It was set up mainly to provide the recreational requirements of the mechanical engineers of East Indian Railway. This institute was much admired among the high officials of E.I.R., right from Kolkata (Calcutta) to Saharanpur, and they desire to dance in the classy dance hall during the Christmas festival. The entire flooring was made of Burma Teak! However, admission to this institute was limited only to the Europeans. Indians found entry only past Independence.
The history of Indian Institute, Asansol:
The second one was raised in the year 1915 to meet the recreational necessity of the Indian. The Institute became running in the year 1917. Afterward the eve of independence the Institute came to be recognised as 'Subhash Institute' after the legendary freedom fighter of India. In its preliminary days the institute also organised cultural and sports events. This institute set up cinema shows in 1925 with the assistance of Arora Studio. Afterward with the Independence movement spreading up the institute became a centre of nationalistic movement. These two Institutes today keep busy the Railway staff and also other citizens of Asansol by including usual cinema shows. 'Vivekananda Institute' is also the venue for all the main Divisional cultural activities such as Pension Adalat, monthly retirement day gathering, Considerate Meeting Adalat etc.
Coal and railways
In 1774, Suetonius Heatly and John Sumner of the British East India Company realized that local people were using coal in the region of which Asansol is a part. Their early explorations and mining operations were carried out in a haphazard manner and demand was limited. Regular mining operations started in 1820, led by an agency house, Alexander and Co. In 1835, Prince Dwarkanath Tagore bought over the collieries and Carr and Tagore Co. led the field.
Today, Asansol is a corporation administered by the Asansol Municipal Corporation. In 1850, a union committee was formed to look after the civic needs of Asansol. The municipality was approved in 1885 but started functioning effectively in 1896. It has been upgraded to the status of a corporation in 1994. Since 2011 it has had its own Police Commissionerate. From the year 2015, Kulti, Jamuria and Raniganj Municipalities have been dissolved and now these areas are administered by the Asansol Municipal Corporation. Thus the proper city limits of Asansol includes the old Asansol Area including Burnpur as well as other prominent locations like Raniganj, Chinakuri, Mithani, Barakar, Kulti, Dishergarh, Neamatpur, Sitarampur and Jamuria. Asansol Municipal Corporation has 106 wards thus making it the second biggest city and corporation after Kolkata.
Asansol-Durgapur Development Authority or ADDA was established under the provision of West Bengal Town and Country (Planning & Development) Act 1979, (West Bengal Act XIII of 1979)by the merger of the former Asansol Planning Organization, Asansol, which was established in 1964, and the erstwhile Durgapur Development Authority, Durgapur established in 1958. ADDA started its functioning from 1 April 1980. Jurisdiction of ADDA is co-terminus with the jurisdictions of Asansol Municipal Corporation, Jamuria Panchayet Samiti, Community Development Blocks of Andal, Pandabeswar and Durgapur-Faridpur, Durgapur Municipal Corporation and a small part of Kanksa Community Development Block.
The main mode of transport inside the city is Public Bus Service. Other than that one can reserve autorickshaws as well as Cabs.The Grand Trunk Road (NH 2) runs across the subdivision. The highway has been broadened as part of the Golden Quadrilateral project and now allows two lane traffic each way. A highway bypass avoids the areas of Ushagram, Murgasol, Asansol Bazar, Chelidanga, BNR, Gopalpur, Neamatpur, Kulti and Barakar. Asansol is connected to Kolkata by road with daily Volvo buses as well as non-ac government buses run by the South Bengal State Transport Corporation which ply at half-an-hour interval duration and this 224 km distance takes 4 hours approximately. The South Bengal State Transport Corporation also plies buses in various other routes such as Malda, Siliguri, Midnapur, Bankura,Siuri, Purulia, Burdwan, Kalna, Habra, Barackpore, Digha, Berhampore etc. Also there are many Private Operators which ply express and Super Fast as well as Deluxe(Volvo AC) Buses to various other towns of the State as well as Outside the State to places such as Dhanbad, Bokaro Steel City, Jamshedpur, Ranchi, Giridih, Hazaribag etc. Government Bus Service operators also includes the North Bengal State Transport Corporation which plies buses to towns of North Bengal such as Malda,Suri, Raiganj, Siliguri and Coochbihar. National Highway 60 connects Asansol with Odisha.
From its earliest days, Asansol has been the hub of railway transport in the region. Currently a part of the Eastern Railway Zone, the Asansol Railway Division high density of traffic that originates and passes through the region. The railway track from Kolkata to Delhi passes through the subdivision and bifurcates into the main line and the grand chord line, at Sitarampur railway junction, a little to the west of Asansol railway junction. Another railway track links Asansol with Adra and then to Jamshedpur via Purulia and Kharagpur via Bankura. A branch line connects Andal with Sainthia on the Sahibgunj loop.Asansol is well connected to four metropolitan cities of India via rail. Almost all the trains linking Kolkata with north India connect Asansol with Kolkata as well as with north India. As a result, Asansol enjoys superb connectivity with cities like New Delhi, Jammu, Amritsar, Ludhiana, Allahabad, Kanpur, Lucknow, Dehradun, Jaipur, Jodhpur, Jaisalmer, Gwalior, Bhopal, Indore , Patna, Ranchi and Dhanbad on the one hand and commands a fairly good traffic movement towards the western cities like Mumbai, Ahmedabad and Surat and southern cities like Bhubaneshwar, Visakhapatnam, Vijaywada, Chennai, Bangalore and Trivandrum.It is also connected with north-east region Guwahati Asansol also serves as the headquarters of the eponymous division and spans a distance of 493 kilometres spread across West Bengal and Jharkhand. It includes important stations such as Andal, Raniganj and Durgapur.
Asansol has a domestic airport named Kazi Nazrul Islam Airport at Andal, Bardhaman. The airport, which commenced operations in May 2015, is roughly 25 kilometres (16 mi) from Asansol's City Bus Terminus.
The economy of Asansol is primarily dependent on its steel, coal, railways and last but not the least trade and commerce .
IISCO(Indian Iron and Steel Company Ltd.) was the first steel making unit established in India at present day Kulti. The Burnpur unit came up later. The steel plant during the 60s and 70s made a name throughout the country and the shares of the company were quoted at London Stock Exchange. However a decade later the company fell into losses until it was revived in 2006 with the merger with SAIL. Modernization at IISCO Steel Plant (named after acquisition by Steel Authority of India Limited) as seen the city develop at a very rapid pace. The steel plant's capacity will be raised from 0.4 MT of saleable steel to 2.5 MT of saleable steel with the biggest blast furnace of the country coming up of 2.5 MT.
Eastern Coalfields which has its headquarters in Sanctoria near Dishergarh, has a big presence in the area due to the huge deposits of high quality Coal. However, most of the coalfields and surrounding residential colonies are located away from the main city. Nearby areas like Ranigunj, Chinakuri and Jamuria are of particular importance for coal blocks. As on 1.4.2012, the total coal reserve in ECL command area up to 600 metre depth is 49.17 Billion tone out of which 30.61 billion tone is in the State of West Bengal and 18.56 Billion tone is in the State of Jharkhand. Total proved reserve in the state of West Bengal is 12.42 billion tonnes.
Railways also is a big contributor to the economy of Asansol. Railways was the first employer in the city and they are credited with developing the city in late 19th century. Asansol is one of the four divisions of Eastern Railway Zone and among the major revenue generating divisions in Indian Railways. Asansol also has the one of the largest locomotive manufacturing units in the world, Chittaranjan Locomotive Works at Chittaranjan. Production at CLW started on 26 January 1950, the same day India became a republic. Currently it produces the WAP4, WAP 5, WAP 7, WAG 7 and WAG 9 locomotives.
Other business ventures
Other industries include Dishergarh Power Supply, Damodar Valley Corporation, Burn Standard Co. which is now a subsidiary of Eastern Railways, Hindustan Cables Limited and cement factories like Burnpur Cement. There is also presence of a big wholesale market. Business over here is a source of income for a majority of people. Another source of income is the high quality sands taken from the Damodar river ghats. More industries are on the way as Videocon has already been provided land to develop a steel and power plant in Jamuria.
Colleges and institutes
Asansol Engineering College, a self-financing institute established in the year 1998. It is situated at Asansol which is close to West Bengal-Jharkhand border and is about 200 km away from the mega city Kolkata. It offers MCA and BTech in various disciplines. The college is accredited to All India Council for Technical Education and affiliated to West Bengal University of Technology, Kolkata. The College is accredited to All India Council for Technical Education. The College is affiliated to West Bengal University of Technology, Kolkata.
Every year the college publishes its technical magazine TechNext, which publishes articles on science, engineering and technology from professors, guests and students. There are four hostels - two for boys and two for girls. One of the boy's hostel is exclusively for the first years, whilst the senior hostel is home to the boys of the remaining years.
College Festivals: 1. Leganzza: Leganzza started in 2002 and is held in March. Students who are passionate about dance, dramatics, and singing, showcase their talent in the fest. Performances of bands such as Bhoomi, Cactus, Euphoria,Parikrama are held. 2. Infoquest is held in February and attracts students from other colleges to participate in events such as paper presentation competitions, exhibits and talks from guest speakers.
- Gupta College of Technological Sciences is another institute for UG & PG Courses in Pharmaceutical Technology. It is affiliated to WBUT and approved by AICTE & PCI. GCTS was established in the year 2000 with only B.Pharm programme under Trinity Trust and today there are more than 300 students pursuing different courses of their choice at both B.Pharm and M.Pharm Programme. In the last 14 years GCTS has reached to new heights through imparting high quality of education. The spectacular success achieved by GCTS is mainly a creation of unusual foresight & exceptionally dynamic leadership of the founder of GCTS, the commitment & orientation at the helm of affairs of the honorable trustees & the academic leadership rendered by Dr. Kalyan Kr. Sen, Principal, GCTS.
General Degree Colleges
There are nine general degree colleges in Asansol Megacity:
- Saint Xavier's College, Asansol - Keeping to its motto "Nihil Ultra, nothing beyond", St. Xavier's college, Kolkata took off with a new shoot at Asansol, with the motto "reach the Unreached". This new chapter in the history of higher education in West Bengal took place on the 25th July 2015 at St. Joseph's High School campus, in the august presence of the honorable education minister of West Bengal, Mr. Partha Chatterjee and Minister of labour, Mr. Moloy Ghatak.
Bishop Cyprian Monis, Catholic diocese of Asansol, welcomed the gathering in his inaugural address and acknowledged the support of the Jesuits, namely, Fr. Jeyaraj Veluswamy the provincial, and the Bangabhusan Fr. Felix Raj, the principal of St. Xavier's College, Kolkata. The college will operate from the campus of Saint Joseph's High School till its own campus is ready. The new campus will be built at Kalyanpur, Asansol within a total area of about 7 acres.
- Banwarilal Bhalotia College, Asansol - Banwarilal Bhalotia College, known by the abbreviation B. B. College, established in 1944, is a college in Asansol. It offers undergraduate courses in arts, Commerce and sciences. It is affiliated to Kazi Nazrul University. Recently, Banwarilal Bhalotia College has been re-accredited and awarded A grade by the National Assessment and Accreditation Council (NAAC). The college is also recognized by the University Grants Commission (UGC). The departments of the college are:
Science: Computer Science, Microbiology, Chemistry, Physics (both undergraduate and post graduate courses), Mathematics, Botany, Zoology ( both undergraduate and post graduate courses), Electronics.
Arts and Commerce: Education, Bengali, English, Sanskrit, Hindi, Urdu, History, Geography, Political Science, Philosophy, Economics, Commerce.
- Bidhan Chandra College, Asansol - It is also known as B.C.College, Asansol, established in 1961, is the general degree college in Asansol. It offers undergraduate courses in arts, commerce and sciences. It is affiliated to Kazi Nazrul University. The college is recognized by the University Grants Commission (UGC). The departments of the college are:
Science: Chemistry, Physics, Mathematics, Zoology, Computer Science.
Arts and Commerce: Bengali, English, Sanskrit, Hindi, Urdu, History, Geography, Political Science, Philosophy, Economics, Commerce
- Asansol Girls' College - Asansol Girl's College is a women's college in Asansol. It offers undergraduate courses in arts and sciences. The College is affiliated to Kazi Nazrul University. The College is recognized by the University Grants Commission (UGC). The College was established in 1950. They shared the premises of Manimala Girls' High School from their foundation until 1962 when they moved to their own building. For that reason, it became known by local people as Manimala College, but Asansol Girls' College was always the official name. On Establishment Day, a procession goes from the College to Manimala Girls' High School to show respect for its origins. Initially, the College was affiliated to the University of Calcutta. After Burdwan University started it became affiliated with that university. The college is now affiliated to Kazi Nazrul University.
- Raniganj Girls' College - Raniganj Girl's College, established in 1980, is the women's college at Raniganj in Asansol, Burdwan district. It offers undergraduate courses in arts, commerce and sciences. It is affiliated to Kazi Nazrul University. The college is recognized by the University Grants Commission (UGC). The departments of the college are:
Science: Chemistry, Physics, Mathematics, Botany, Zoology, Microbiology.
Arts and Commerce: Bengali, English, Sanskrit, Hindi, Urdu, History, Political Science, Philosophy, Economics, Commerce, Geography.
- Kulti College - Kulti College,is one of the general degree colleges at Kulti in Asansol. It offers undergraduate courses in arts, Commerce and sciences. It is affiliated to Kazi Nazrul University. It was established in 1986. The college is affiliated to the Kazi Nazrul University, and recognised by Govt of West Bengal. The college is accredited by NAAC an autonomous Body of University Grants Commission (UGC). The departments of the college are:
Arts: Bengali, English, Sanskrit, Hindi, Urdu.
Social Science: Economics, History, Geography, Political Science, Philosophy.
Science: Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics, Botany, Zoology, Microbiology.
- Triveni Devi Bhalotia College - Triveni Devi Bhalotia College, also known as Raniganj College, established in 1957, is a college at Raniganj, in Asansol. It is situated in a central location of Raniganj between NH-2 and Eastern Railway. It offers undergraduate courses in arts, commerce and sciences and post graduate courses in Urdu. This is the second biggest college in West Bengal with respect to higher education with 22 Honours subjects. The college celebrated its Golden Jubilee in 2007. The college is affiliated to Kazi Nazrul University and recognized by the University Grants Commission (UGC). The college has an alumni association named TDB College Alumni Association (TDBCAA). TDBCAA was established in 2007 with an aim to create opportunities to create and maintain contacts with the alumnus. Among other activities of TDBCAA, it provides scholarship to the needy students and grants Certificate of Merit to the top three positions of college. The departments of the college are:
Science: Chemistry, Physics, Mathematics, Computer Science, Botany, Zoology, Physiology, Geology, Statistics, Electronics.
Arts and Commerce: Bengali, English, Sanskrit, Hindi, Urdu, History, Geography, Political Science, Philosophy, Economics, Commerce.
- Deshbandhu Mahavidyalaya - Established in 1973, it is a general degree college in Chittaranjan, in Asansol. It offers undergraduate courses in arts, commerce and sciences. It is affiliated to Kazi Nazrul University. The college is recognized by the University Grants Commission (UGC). The departments of the college are:
Science: Chemistry, Physics, Mathematics.
Arts and Commerce: Bengali, English, Sanskrit, Hindi, History, Geography, Political Science, Philosophy, Economics, Commerce.
- Kazi Nazrul Islam Mahavidyalaya - Established in 1981, it is the general degree college at Churulia in Asansol. It offers undergraduate courses in arts and commerce. It is affiliated to Kazi Nazrul University. The college is recognized by the University Grants Commission (UGC). The college has Arts and Commerce Department where the following subjects are offered:
Bengali, English, History, Commerce, Geography, Hindi, Political Science, Sanskrit, Philosophy
- International Institute of Business & Excellence (IIBE) - This institution is running under the Smt. Sobha Devi Educational Forum. The trust was established under the chairmanship of Mr. Abhishek, with a mission to create centers for excellence in education & other fields and thereby serving the society to enhance the quality of life through excellence and leadership in professionally relevant education. It offers the following courses:
Post Graduate Diploma in Management (2 years), with specialization in Marketing Management, Human Resource Management, Financial Management, Operations Management, International Business, Information System. The PGDM is a two-year course, approved by AICTE, New Delhi. The programme is divided into four semesters and involves rigorous training to equip future managers with conceptual framework and specific skills needed to be successful in the corporate world. (four semesters). The program is intending for practicing manager who seek rapid Professional advancement to their careers through up gradation of their knowledge, tuning of their skills and molding their attitudes. The program is regularly updated to development needs of managers and Professionals from a variety of backgrounds.
Executive PGDM (2 years), for working professional, with specialization in Marketing Management, Human Resource Management, Financial Management, Operations Management, International Business, Information System. With this program, one can work full-time while attending PGDM classes on weekends. The program is intending for practicing manager who seek rapid Professional advancement to their careers through up gradation of their knowledge, tuning of their skills and molding their attitudes. The program is regularly updated to development needs of managers and Professionals from a variety of backgrounds. Contemporary course curriculum recognised by Industry. Teaching based on case studies to build and strengthen decision-making and analytical skills.
Certificate Programs that are offered includes: Certificate in Business Communication, Certificate in Supply Chain Management, Certificate in Essential Managerial Skills, Certificate in HR Management, Certificate in Marketing Management, Certificate in Business Strategy, Certificate in Retail Management, Certificate in Sales Management, Certificate in Managing Finance and Certificate in family managed business The Course duration is 24 hrs (1 Month) Saturday and Sunday classes.
- Asansol Society of Hospitality Management (ASHM) - It is a leading professional Institute established in 2008. The aim of the institute is providing a unique combination of academic excellence blended with career focused opportunities and experience. ASHM has an outstanding line of faculties trained to be mentor and not mere instructors. They stimulate and unlock hidden potentials of the students through various curriculum and activities. ASHM is situated at Ushagram in the east of Asansol, where the students find great opportunity to develop themselves through theoretical and practical learning. The college offers the following courses: Bachelor's Degree in Hospital Management, duration 3 years, B.Sc. in Catering Science and Hotel Management, duration 3 years and Diploma in Catering Science and Hotel Management, duration 1 year.
- Raniganj Institute of Computer and Information Sciences (RICIS) - It was established in 2001 and its course are affiliated to "Kazi Nazrul Univerisity" is a premier Institution for the development and dissemination of knowledge and skills in various fields of information technology, computer application and management. RICIS imparts enhance quality education towards nation building. Raniganj Institute of Computer and Information Sciences is a premier institution functioning under the Contemporary Education Society. The society was established under Mr. Abhishek Kumar Burnwal, with a mission to create centers for excellence in education & other fields and thereby serving the society to enhance the quality of life through excellence and leadership in professionally relevant education. The courses offered by the college are BBA (Hons) and BCA (Hons).
- Raniganj Institute of Information Technology (RIIT) - Raniganj Institute of Information Technology has been set up by the educational society, Raniganj Institute of Computer Education, formed under Society's Act of West Bengal in 2001 with view of creating a facility for imparting quality education in business and technology (through a liaison with industry on one hand and educational institution on other hand).
- Bengal Homeopathic Medical College & Hospital
- Asansol Law College - Asansol Law College situated at Asansol, West Bengal is affiliated to Kazi Nazrul University, Asansol was established in 2012 as a private institution. The college offers Bachelor of Laws (LLB) 3-Year Course for LLB degree, BA. LLB 5 Year Course Integrated degree course in law. The contents of syllabus for 3 years bachelor of Law (LLB) course covers topics relating to constitutional law of India, international law, law of crimes, Indian penal code, piracy laws, torts law, cyber law, banking law, marriage law, financial law, copyright law, company law, business laws, contract law, commercial law, corporate law, insurance law, property law, divorce laws labor law, patent laws, patent law, family law, custody laws, domestic laws.
- Bijoy Pal Memorial B.Ed. College, Burnpur
- Vidyapati Bachelor of Education College, Rahmatnagar
- Gourangdi B.Ed. College, Gourandi
- Parbati Teachers Training Institute, Jamuria
- Maulana Azad National Urdu University, College of Teacher Education, Hutton Road
- Asansol Polytechnic, Dhadka
- Kanyapur Polytechnic, Kanyapur
- Nazrul Centenary Polytechnic, Rupnarayanpur
- Asansol Institute Of Engineering And Management-Polytechnic, Kalipahari
- Institute of Chartered Accountants of India, Kanyapur
Some of the major computer and competitive exam training institutes are - NIIT Asansol Centre, ICWA, Mahendra's, Roy's Institute Competitive Examination (RICE), CMC Academy, IIHT, Career Launcher, Aptech, Brainware Consultancy Pvt Ltd, Lalani Computer Academy, Pathfinder Educational Centre, W B Govt Youth Computer Training Centre, Indian Institute Of Job Oriented Training.
Some of the schools of Asansol are: St.Vincent's High and Technical School, St. Patrick's Higher Secondary School, Loreto Convent Asansol, Calcutta Boys H.S School, Assembly of God Church, Asansol, St. Mary Goretti H.S School, Saint Joseph H.S School, Delhi Public School Asansol, Assembly of God Church, Sodepur, DAV Public School, DAV School, Kendriya Vidyalaya Asansol, Asansol Ramakrishna Mission School, Burnpur Riverside School, E.RLY.Boys.H.S.School(Asansol), Manimala Girls High School, Ushagram Boys' High School, Ushagram Girls' High School, Burnpur High School, Burnpur Girls High School, Asansol Collegiate School, Calcutta Girls H.S School, Asansol Arunoday High School, Dhadka Narayan Chandra Lahiri Vidyamandir, Mohishila Govt Colony High School, Asansol Chelidanga High School, Guru Nanak Mission High school, Subhas Pally Bidyaniketan, Hirapur Manick Chand Thakur Institution, J.J.Instittution H.S School, Bengali Girls' Day School. Rahmat Nagar Urdu Higher Secondary School, Rahmania Urdu Higher Secondary School, Danishgah Islamia High School, Murgasol Urdu High School and many more schools are there in Asansol. Students from Asansol are showing continuous improvement in their performance in competitive examination.
Kazi Nazrul University was established under West Bengal Act XIX of 2012. Assent of the Governor was first published in the Kolkata gazette, extraordinary 16 August 2012. The university has been named as a mark of respect to the rebel poet Kazi Nazrul of India who is also the national poet of Bangladesh (died in Dacca, August 29, 1976). The Kazi Nazrul University has been founded with a vision. The vision is to function efficiently as a university encouraging and providing instruction, teaching, training and research in various branches of learning and courses of study for promoting advancement and dissemination of knowledge, and extending higher education to meet the growing needs of the society. The university provides Ph.D Programme in English and will commence M Phil & Ph.D course for Bengali in the coming days.
- A specialised centre for general education, the Kazi Nazrul University is now offering two years (four semesters) full-time Post Graduation Programme in:
• English • Bengali • Hindi • Urdu • History • Education
• Zoology • Mathematics • Physics • Chemistry • Geography • Conservation Biology
• Geology • Philosophy • Applied Psychology • Political Science • Law (LLM) • Commerce
- The colleges/ institutes affiliated to KNU are:
• Durgapur Govt. College • Banwarilal Bhalotia College • Bidhan Chandra College • Asansol Girls' College • Kulti College • Raniganj Girls' College • Triveni Devi Bhalotia College • Kazi Nazrul Islam Mahavidyalaya • Deshbandhu Mahavidyalaya • Durgapur Women's College • Khandra College • Mankar College • Michael Madhusudan Memorial College • Pandaveswar College • Durgapur College of Commerce and Science • Durgapur College of Tourism and Management • Durgapur Institute of Management • Durgapur Institute of Science and Technology • Durgapur Institute of Technology and Management • Raniganj Institute of Computer and Information Science • Raniganj Institute of Information Technology • Durgapur Institute of Legal Studies • Law College Durgapur • Asansol Law College • Binoda Law College
There are several public libraries, including the District Library.
Prasar Bharati has a High Power Transmitter Station at Asansol which broadcasts Doordarshan National / Bangla and Doordarshan News Channel. Transmissions are not only received by the city but also neighboring places. Other than national channels, several local channels are available through cable TV networks like Drishti Channel, ATV, ISP Channel etc.
Asansol currently has 3 FM Channels. All India Radio Station transmitter Station, which transmits 100.3 AIR FM. Other FM channel broadcasters from the city includes 92.7 BIG FM and 93.5 RED FM.
- Polo Ground
It has been the landmark of Asansol for a prolonged period. The ground got its name from the sport Polo which was played here during the British Rule.
- Asansol Indoor Stadium
It is built by Asansol Durgapur Development Authority (ADDA) which is a major sporting arena of Asansol. The stadium has capacity of 500 spectators and has been built at the Polo Ground. The stadium has two badminton courts and an interchangeable volleyball court. The distinctiveness of this indoor stadium is that it has the largest shell concrete roof in the district.
Popularly known as the Loco Ground, houses several district and subdivision level Football and Cricket Tournaments.
- Asansol Stadium
This stadium is adjacent to the Asansol Indoor Stadium. Both district and subdivision level football and cricket matches are organized in this stadium.
- The Burnpur Football Stadium
It is a centre of extensive sport activities. Players groomed in the SAIL Football Academy at Burnpur have represented SAIL in the Kolkata IFA and 1st Division League matches.
It is a first class level cricket stadium located at Burnpur in Asansol. First-Class Matches played on Burnpur Cricket Club Ground, Burnpur:
23 October 1994 Deodhar Trophy 1994/95 Central Zone v West Zone
25 October 1994 Duleep Trophy 1994/95 Central Zone v West Zone
- Other sports complexes
The ISP Sports House, Sports Coaching Centre, ISP Boxing Stadium,Academies, ISP School Sports Complex and Hostel Grounds. ISP’s Sports department organises various sports activities such as football, basketball, volleyball, hockey and athletics. The Table Tennis Academy located here has given birth to a number of world-class players. The ISP cricket team, comprising 30 selected players, is also part of the Sports House. All the candidates playing under different disciplines are trained under the supervision of qualified coaches. Four players belonging to the ISP Sports Academy have represented ISP in the prestigious Commonwealth Games.
- Kazi Nazrul Islam Krirangan
It is an upcoming International level stadium at Sen Raleigh (Previously Sen Raleigh Football Ground), Asansol. When completed, it is expected to hold a capacity of over forty thousand spectators and organize international level tournaments like IPL and ISL.
Places of interest
The following locations can be considered as places of interest within the mega city:
- Kalyaneshwari Temple
It is a temple at Kalyaneshwari in Asansol and is located on the banks of Barakar River, about 5 kilometres downsream from Maithon Dam of Damodar Valley Corporation. Goddess Kalyaneshwari is believed to fulfill the wishes of childless women.
The beautiful stone shrine at Kalyaneshwari is believed to be about 500 years old. According to tradition the shrine and the group of temples attached were erected by an ancestor of the Panchet Raja, who is said to have married the daughter of a Raja Lau Sen of Senpahari. The story is that a Rohini Deoghar Brahman once saw a jeweled arm rise out of the waters in the adjacent nala. He went and informed Raja Kalyana Sinha of Kasipur of Panchet (in Purulia district) who came himself and saw the prodigy. At night the goddess herself appeared to him in a dream and pointing to an irregular stone, somewhat like a rule argha, said, "This is my murti; worship it."
The Raja built the temple and the stone having been duly inscribed was installed in it.Near this temple and in the province of Bihar the township of Maithon has grown as a result of construction of the Maithon Dam, on the river Damodar at the instance of the Damodar Valley Corporation. Kalyaneswar Devi temple has been since its inception a great center for Sakti Puja. The temple has an importance because it belongs to the group of other temples of Sakti complex in the neighboring parts of Bihar.
- Ghagar Buri Temple
Ghagar Buri Chandi Temple is located at Kalipahari in Asansol. It is believed that Maa Ghagar Buri is one of the other images of Maa Chandi, the mother Goddess. The temple is located on the banks of a small rivulet, named Nunia. The temple is open from dawn to dusk and you can offer pujas here during the morning time. This temple is a must visit location for ardent devotees of Mother Goddess. It is the prime example of the religious fervor in India and you can also take part in the wonderful religious practices here. Ghagar Buri Chandi Temple is a year round destination that attracts devotees from all over specially in the winters. It is fairly easy to reach the temple as one can hire a taxi from the Asansol Station to the shrine.
- Chandrachur Temple
It is a highly revered Shiva temple situated at Chandrachur in Asansol. This beautiful shrine has a height of 60 ft and draws a large number of devotees from far and near. According to a local myth, a farmer named Chandranath Bauri had a vision of Lord Shiva at this place. A grand fair is organized here on Chaitra Sankranti. Mahashivaratri is the main festival celebrated at this temple. Shravan Mela and Rath Yatra are the other festivals celebrated here with much pomp and show.
- Bari Maidan (Town Puja)
It is a ground at Burnpur in Asansol, adjacent to which are various temples of Hindu Deities. There is a Sahid Minar at the ground. The name Bari Maidan came from Abdul Bari, who was an Indian academic and social reformer.
- Begunia Temples
There are four temples in one complex known as Begunia temples at Begunia in Asansol's Barakar. These temples are known as Begunia Temples because they are shaped like Eggplants (the Bengali name for eggplant is "Begun"). This place definitely deserves a visit, if you like old temples. It is amongst the oldest Rekh Deul temples in West Bengal. Two other temples are dated around 14th and 15th century. The temples have Shiva lingams and idols of Ganesha and Durga. These temples are collectively recognised as Monuments of National Importance and are protected by the Archaeological Survey of India.
- Panorama Countryclub and Resort
It is located at Four Point(NH-2) Chittranjan Road, Salanpur, Opp. Kulti Outpost, Asansol. It has an Amusement Park cum Water Park for both kids and adults. There are several water park rides like Kids Pool, Wave pool for Adults, Cyclone, Slides. The amusement rides includes Dashing Car, Jumping Kangaroo, Sweet Cat, Gyroscope, Twin Dragon, several other land games and many more. There is a lovely Statue Park and a Large Food Court which serves delicious multi cuisine. The amusement park claims to have the biggest ghost house of Eastern India named the "Horror House".
The Country Club has a Hotel, Conference Hall, two Banquet Halls, two Big Lawns. Maithon Dam and the Kalyaneshwari Temple is roughly 7 to 8 km from there.
- Nehru Park
It is located on the banks of the Damodar River at Burnpur in Asansol in the Indian state of West Bengal. The park was formally named Riverside Park when laid out by a German general manager of IISCO named F.W.A.Lahmeyer. So wide was the appreciation that the common people started calling it Lahmeyer Park. In the birth centenary year (1989) of India’s first Prime Minister, Jawaharlal Nehru, it was renamed Nehru Park. It is one of the most beautiful parks of West Bengal. The park was developed on the banks of the Damodar, retaining the undulating terrain of the area. A small stream flows through the park. The slopes have been utilised to develop gardens and walkways. There is a big playground within the park and a few rides for children are available. A musical fountain has been added and is operated on weekends and Thursdays. There is a restaurant in the park and picnic spots are earmarked. There is a nominal entrance fee. One big pond is there inside the park with boating arrangement for the visitors. Big Grass Crap fishes are found inside the pond.
Nehru Park is at the far end of Burnpur. It is about 14 km from Asansol railway station. Taxis and auto rickshaws can be hired at Asansol Station for a return trip. There is a manned stand for two wheeler. Minibuses plying from Asansol Station up to Riverside (via Burnpur) drop/pick up visitors near the park entrance gate. Country boats are available near the adjacent pump house and near the airstrip (about 2 km away) for crossing the Damodar and visiting the Saltora area in Bankura district. Water level in the river depends upon the season. In dry season one may have to walk a considerable distance over the sand bed, to get to the boat.
- Satabdi Park
It is 2 km from Asansol Station. It is a mid-size park with and a few rides for children. It is a nice place to spend the evening with several food joints within the park.
Bathanbari village is located at Salanpur in Asansol. It is roughly 15 kilometers from Asansol City Bus Terminus. It is an ideal picnic spot. The location was not popular among many until a few years back; however it has grown into a popular weekend picnic destination for the people of Asansol and its neighborhood in the recent years.
- Gunjan Ecological Park
A social welfare project of Asansol Police located on G.T. Road at Nigha under Jamuria P.S. in Asansol. It was earlier an abandoned O.C.P. of Eastern Coalfields Limited and was a den of criminals and illegally-mined-coal racketeers. Somen Mitra, IPS, the then ADDL S P of Asansol took the initiative to get that area under control of the Asansol police. Nearly 300 acres (1.2 km2) of land with waterbody is now an attraction for the citizens of Asansol, with a mini-zoo and a children's park. During winter, the lake supports hundreds of migratory birds. An anglers' club also exists at the Ecological Park. Asansol police is in a process to develop the area in association with ECL, SAIL-ISP and ADDA.
- Rabindra Bhavan
The main Cultural Centre and Auditorium of Asansol. This is the pride of Asansol city and it almost have become the identity symbol of Asansol. Various social and curtural events are organized in this auditorium.
- Bharati Bhaban
Bharati Bhaban is a pioneer cultural organization of Asansol-Burnpur Industrial area which was previously named Hirapur Indian Association during its humble beginning in 1920. It currently members strength of over 1700 today. Bharati Bhaban is not just an institution, it is a legend. From the very beginning of the organization the view of Bharati Bhaban was to not only feed cultural and social activities for the employees of the Indian Iron & Steel Company and Indian Standard Wogan Company but also the local people of Asansol-Burnpur Industrial area. Bharati Bhaban has always tried to maintain the heritage of Bengali literature, music and other spiritual activities. The association started with an objective to provide recreation and social amenities to the residents of Burnpur for whom life was tedious with little or no room for relaxation. A makeshift auditorium was initially constructed then, after some land was allotted, a commodious building appeared on it in l923.
It is a suburb of modern-day Asansol. Here the famous poet - Kazi Nazrul Islam was born. He is considered the national poet of Bangladesh. The village is about 17 km from Asansol Station, and contains a museum with his works and a memorial for him. Presently the house of Nazrul is famous as Nazrul Academy, where one can find different manuscripts of Nazrul, his medals that he had achieved during his lifetime and many of his famous works. A fair with high standard cultural programs is organized on the occasion of the poet's birthday in the Bengali month of Jaistha (May–June)
- Searsol Rajbari
This village is famous for Durga Puja and Ratha Yatra, which is more than 200 years old. It is situated at Raniganj in Asansol, approximately 18 km from the City Bus Stand. There used to be a king in this village and the remnants of his palace, called "Rajbari", still can be seen. One of the most famous festivals in this village is the Rath-Yatra (festival of chariot of Lord Jagannath), which begins at Purono-Rajbadi (old palace) and end at Natun-Rajbadi (new palace).
The following locations can be considered as places of interest nearby to the mega city:
- Maithon Dam
Maithon Dam, also known as Maithon Dam, has been constructed on the Barakar River at Dhanbad District. Located approximately 28 km from Asansol City Bus Stand and 13 km from Barakar in Asansol, this dam has been especially designed for controlling floods. This 15,712 feet long and 165 feet high dam generates 60000 kW of electricity. One of the unique features of this dam is that it has an underground power station, which is first of its kind in entire Southeast Asia. Permission is required from the office of the Assistant Public Relations Officer to visit the powerhouse. Maithon Lake, which spreads over an area of 65 km2, is a popular sightseeing attraction in Maithon. Tourists visiting this lake can indulge in activities like boating and fishing. For accommodation there is a rest-house on an island in the lake. Tourists visiting Maithon Lake can also head towards the deer park and the bird sanctuary.
It is 6 km from Muradi railway station on the Asansol-Adra line. Baranti is a small, quiet and scenic place. There is a 2 km long irrigation project dam, located between two small hillocks, Muradi Hill and Baranti Hill. Baranti is in the vicinity of Ramchandrapur Irrigation Project. One gets a grand view of the reservoir from Baranti. It is a place where one can take a break from drudgery and daily monotony and simply rejuvenate one's mind and soul. It is part of the wonderful Rarh countryside. Baranti is also a picnic spot where people from nearby areas, such as Asansol, come for a day-long picnic preferably in the winters.
- Joychandi Pahar
Joychandi Pahar is a hill which is a popular tourist attraction in the Indian state of West Bengal. It is three kilometres from the subdivisional town of Raghunathpur, Purulia district. It is on the Purulia – Barakar road, is a popular tourist centre and major attraction for rock climbing and is a picnic spot too. Joychandi Pahar railway station is on the Asansol – Adra section of South Eastern Railway. The other rock climbing centre nearby is at Susunia Pahar.
- Panchet Dam
Panchet Dam is about 17 km from Asansol. It is approachable via Chirkunda. Telkupi, a village under Raghunathpur police station, was submerged with the construction of Panchet Dam. Telkupi was capital of Tilakampa Kingdom, of which Panchakot Raj was probably a part. The ruins of the garh (fort) of the Singh Deo dynasty of Panchakot located at the southern foothills and a group of temples are still standing as mute spectators of the rise and fall of the dynasty. J.D.Beglar who visited Telkupi in 1902 described it as 'containing, perhaps, the finest and largest number of temples within a small space that is to be found in the Chota Nagpur Circle in Bengal'. He listed over twenty temples and referred to several others and to 'numerous mounds, both of brick and stone’. Telkupi dates back to the 1st century AD. The temples submerged at Telkupi were Jain temples.
- Biharinath Pahar
It is the tallest hill of Bankura District, in the Indian state of West Bengal., and one of the dense forest areas of the district. It is a part of the Eastern Ghats. It is 451 metres (1,480 ft) high. It is situated about 43 km from the city of Asansol. With the discovery of Paleolithic tools in the Biharinath area, the hill and the surrounding areas have come into focus of archaeologists. Biharinath is known as the Araku Valley of West Bengal. The base of hill is a popular tourist spot. A small tank measuring 0.50 ha provides facilities for angling. There is an old Shiva temple of Biharinath nearby. Biharinath offers a pollution-free green surroundings where water is panacea. This place has hills, dense forests with abundant flora and fauna, spring, water bodies, Damodar River, and a renowned Shiva temple. Susunia hill, Joychandi Pahar, Garh Panchkot, Baranti, Panchet Dam, and Maithon Dam are all located at short distances.Government of West Bengal has already taken a 150 crore mega tourism project for Biharinath. And with this fund a Cable car operation is likely o be operational by 2016. Also a bridge over river Damodar has already been sanctioned and then Biharinath will be only a little distance from Burnpur in Asansol.
Major Retail Markets and Shopping Malls:
- Asansol Bazar
It is considered to be one of the big markets in West Bengal. The bazar is stretched from Girja More to Murgasol (approx 4 to 5 km). There are many shops for buying clothes, footwares, cosmetics, food products, restaurants, electronic goods, jewelry, sports accessories etc. Some prominent shops are: Mohans (Raha Lane-Hutton Road market), Bazaar Kolkata (Raha Lane),Sky World Fitness (Raha Lane),Tanishq, Himalaya Opticals, Titan Eye, Titan World, Great Eastern Appliance Pvt Ltd, Reco Electronics, Sony Center, Durga Electronics, Asansol Refrigerator Mart, Insat King, Sangeetalaya Sales, Reebok, PUMA, NIKE, Adidas, Peter England, B.N.Ghanty (Raha Lane-Hutton Road market), Geeta Fashion, P C Chandra Jewelers, M P Jewelers, Rajhans, B K Sports, Queen Merit, Monte Carlo, Israil fashion, New Jee Fashion, Jee Style, Riddhi Siddhi Garments, New Punjabi Museum, N K Collection, Hollywood Fashion, Metro Fashion, Punjabi Museum, Rex Tailors, Rainbow Big Shop, Rainbow Dresses, The Arvind Store, Pepe Jeans, Levis, Moustache, Spykar, Turtle, Manyavar, Kathleen, Chachi Sweets etc. Some of the renowned restaurants within the bazar area are Lazeez Express, Sudhamrit, Cosmic Grill, Bombay Hotel Garam Masala, Asansol Food Plaza, Jaadu Kadai, Anand Restaurant, Aahar Restaurant, Biriyani House, Badhura Hotel, Barkha Biriyani House, Gupta Restaurant, Economic Restaurant, Zebra Crossing, MAK Food etc. The Shabana Market, a market within the bazar area is known for its sale of mobiles and mobile accessories. The famous Wahid's Confectionery is present at Asansol Bazar where quality cakes, pastries snacks and kati rolls are available. The great Poet Kazi Nazrul Islam was associated with Wahid's in the early days of his life to earn a living.
- Galaxy Mall
This is a Premium Shopping Mall at Burnpur in Asansol. Total Built up Area 267000 sq ft. It has Big Bazaar and many other international and national branded outlets like Blackberry Exclusive Store, City Bazar Metro, Reliance Digital, Success, Moustache, Lee, Raymonds, Touristor, Time Factory, London Bridge, Jockey, Wildcraft, Turtle, Hoffmen, Khadims, Bata, Chique Fashion, Archies, Flying Machine, Gini & Jony, Eteenz etc. Fast Food Chains like Domino's and KFC also have outlets in the mall. Confectionery chain Kathleen also has an outlet in the mall. The mall holds Eylex - a three screen Multiplex (three screen 724 seats) and a Food Court named Ishika's (Bionic Hospitality). CCD also operates from this Food Court. The mall also has a 3 star hotel named "The Fern Residency".
- Sentrum Mall
It is situated at Shristinagar in Asansol. Spread over 250,000 sq. ft. of retail space, ‘Sentrum’ is a Shopping Mall with a Multiplex. Various national and international brands have already booked their space. Shops, Branded Retail Stores, Fast Food Outlets and Restaurants are available in the mall. Exclusive floor for the local retailers is also available here. Brand Operational in Sentrum mall Brand Factory, Reliance Trends, Samsung, CCD, Domino’s, Jockey, Cott Centre etc. The multiplex that operates from Sentrum is Carnival Cinemas (four screen 1150 seats) and Bionic Hospitality - The Food Court. There is a game zone for children. Mississippi a Resto-Pub with Discothèque is also present in the mall.
Asansol has hot and dry summers and cold chilly winters. In summers temperatures soar above 40 C with dry hot air blowing known as 'loo' while in winter temperatures go below 10 C. Monsoon lasts from August to September. The Köppen Climate Classification sub-type for this climate is "Aw" (Tropical Savanna Climate).
|Climate data for Asansol, India|
|Average high °C (°F)||26
|Average low °C (°F)||12
|Average precipitation mm (inches)||18
- List of cities in West Bengal
- Asansol railway station
- Asansol-Tatanagar-Kharagpur line
- Asansol subdivision
- "Cities having population 1 lakh and above" (PDF). Provisional Population Totals, Census of India 2011. Retrieved 29 March 2012.
- "Census India" (PDF). Census. Retrieved 22 July 2012.
- "Million plus UA Cities – India" (PDF). Census. Census of India. Retrieved 22 July 2012.
- "World's fastest growing urban areas (1)". City Mayors. 7 December 2010. Retrieved 16 March 2011.
- "Tier I and Tier II Cities of India, Classification of Indian Cities". Mapsofindia.com.
- Deb, Mihir; Tiwari, Garima; Lahiri-Dutt, Kuntala (2004). "Artisanal and small-scale mining in India: Selected studies and an overview of the issues". International Journal of Mining, Reclamation and Environment 10 (10).
- Gee, E. R. (10 August 1940). "History of Coal-Mining in India" (PDF). Indian National Science Academy 6 (3): 313. Retrieved 25 October 2011.
- "Asansol Municipal Corporation". Asansol Municipal Corporation.
- "Asansol-Durgapur Police Commissionerate". Asansoldurgapurpolice.in.
-  Archived 23 May 2010 at the Wayback Machine
- "Retail Destination – Asansol: Rising in the East | Jones Lang LaSalle India". Jllindia.wordpress.com. 16 August 2010.
- "Asansol on the net – A complete information on Asansol city". Asansolcity.com.
- "Videocon upbeat on Bengal project". The Telegraph. Kolkota. 29 September 2013.
- "West Bengal's best engineering colleges 2012". Careers360.com. 18 October 2013.
- "Welcome to Kazi Nazrul University". Knuedu.in. 16 August 2012.
- "Climate Summary for Asansol". Weatherbase.com.
- "Asansol, India – Monthly - All Weather Averages". Weatherbase. 2013. Retrieved 31 July 2013.
- History of The Indian Iron and Steel Co. Ltd. by Dr. N.R.Srinivasan
- Bardhaman Jelar Itihas O Lok Sanskriti (History and Folk-lore of Bardhaman District) in Bengali by Akkari Chattopadhyay
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Asansol.|
- A complete Portal of Asansol
- Bardhaman District official site
- Asansol travel guide from Wikivoyage
- A Travel Guide on Asansol