Asbury Park Public Schools
|Asbury Park School District|
|603 Mattison Avenue|
Asbury Park, NJ 07712
|Grades||pre-K to 12|
|Superintendent||Sancha K. Gray|
|Business administrator||Geoffrey Hastings|
|Affiliation(s)||Former Abbott district|
|Students and staff|
|Enrollment||2,343 (as of 2015-16)|
|District Factor Group||A|
Asbury Park Public Schools is a comprehensive community public school district headquartered in Asbury Park, New Jersey, United States, serving children in pre-Kindergarten through twelfth grade. The district is one of 31 former Abbott districts statewide, which are now referred to as "SDA Districts" based on the requirement for the state to cover all costs for school building and renovation projects in these districts under the supervision of the New Jersey Schools Development Authority.
Students from Allenhurst and Interlaken attend the district's schools as part of a sending/receiving relationship. In July 2014, the New Jersey Department of Education approved a request by Interlaken under which it would end its sending relationship with the Asbury Park district and begin sending its students to the West Long Branch Public Schools through eighth grade and then onto Shore Regional High School. Students from Deal had attended the district's high school as part of a sending/receiving relationship that was terminated and replaced with an agreement with Shore Regional.
The district is classified by the New Jersey Department of Education as being in District Factor Group "A", the lowest of eight groupings. District Factor Groups organize districts statewide to allow comparison by common socioeconomic characteristics of the local districts. From lowest socioeconomic status to highest, the categories are A, B, CD, DE, FG, GH, I and J.
- Elementary schools
- Barack Obama Elementary School (381 students; in grade PreK-5)
- Bradley Elementary School (375; PreK-5)
- Thurgood Marshall Elementary School (445; PreK-5)
- Middle school
- Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Middle School (377; 6-8)
- High school
In March 2011, the state monitor overseeing the district's finances ordered that Barack Obama Elementary School be closed after the end of the 2010-11 school year, citing a 35% decline in enrollment in the district during the prior 10 years. Students currently attending the school would be reallocated to the district's two other elementary schools, with those going into fifth grade assigned to attend middle school. In 2014, the Barack Obama Elementary School reopened, and Asbury Park Middle School reverted to serving students only from grade 6-8.
- Sancha K. Gray, Superintendent
- Geoffrey Hastings, Business Administrator / Board Secretary
- Carol Morris, State Monitor
- District information for Asbury Park School District, National Center for Education Statistics. Accessed October 21, 2018.
- Taxpayers' Guide to Education Spending April 2013, New Jersey Department of Education. Accessed April 15, 2013.
- Abbott School Districts, New Jersey Department of Education. Accessed July 14, 2017.
- About SDA Archived 2016-08-16 at the Wayback Machine., New Jersey Schools Development Authority. Accessed July 14, 2017.
- SDA Districts Archived 2016-11-29 at the Wayback Machine., New Jersey Schools Development Authority. Accessed July 14, 2017.
- 13 Non-Operating School Districts Eliminated, New Jersey Department of Education press release dated July 1, 2009. Accessed December 25, 2009.
- Board of Education of the Borough of Interlaken v. Board of Education of the City of Asbury Park, et al, New Jersey Department of Education, July 17, 2014. Accessed August 18, 2014. "IT IS ORDERED on this 17th day of July 2014 that – pursuant to N.J.S.A. 18A:38-13 and N.J.A.C. 6A:3-6.1 – the application of Interlaken for severance of its send-receive relationship with Asbury Park and to establish send-receive relationship with West Long Branch and Shore Regional, as set forth in its petition of appeal, is APPROVED."
- Reorganization Agenda January 7, 2016, Shore Regional High School. Accessed October 21, 2018. "Whereas, the content of the announcement was to advise the public that the Deal Board of Education filed a Petition of Appeal with the Commissioner of Education to sever its Sending-Receiving Relationship with the Asbury Park Board of Education, and to establish a new Sending-Receiving Relationship with the Shore Regional High School Board of Education"
- NJ Department of Education District Factor Groups (DFG) for School Districts, New Jersey Department of Education. Accessed December 9, 2014.
- School Data for the Asbury Park Public Schools, National Center for Education Statistics. Accessed October 21, 2018.
- New Jersey School Directory for the Asbury Park Public Schools, New Jersey Department of Education. Accessed December 29, 2016.
- Barack Obama Elementary School, Asbury Park Public Schools. Accessed October 21, 2018.
- Bradley Elementary School, Asbury Park Public Schools. Accessed October 21, 2018.
- Thurgood Marshall Elementary School, Asbury Park Public Schools. Accessed October 21, 2018.
- Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Middle School, Asbury Park Public Schools. Accessed October 21, 2018.
- Asbury Park High School, Asbury Park Public Schools. Accessed October 21, 2018.
- Shields, Nancy. "State monitor orders Asbury's Barack Obama School closed", Asbury Park Press, March 18, 2011. Accessed April 1, 2011.
- Central Administration, Asbury Park Public Schools. Accessed October 21, 2018.
- New Jersey School Directory for Monmouth County, New Jersey Department of Education. Accessed December 29, 2016.
- Terry, Nicquel. "Who is Asbury's school monitor?", Asbury Park Press, July 25, 2014. Accessed October 21, 2018. "Morris, 75, of Neptune, took the job in September, the fifth monitor for the city since 2007. She has the last say over who the school board hires, fires and how it spends its tax dollars. She also holds the authority to override any action by a school administrator or vote by the school board."