Ascension (Don't Ever Wonder)
|"Ascension (Don't Ever Wonder)"|
|Single by Maxwell|
|from the album Maxwell's Urban Hang Suite|
|B-side||"Lock You Up N' Love Fa Days"|
|Released||July 30, 1996|
|Maxwell singles chronology|
"Ascension (Don't Ever Wonder)" is a 1996 song by the American R&B/neo soul singer Maxwell. It is the second single released from his debut album, Maxwell's Urban Hang Suite. The track peaked in the top ten on Billboard's R&B songs, reached top forty on the Hot 100 and No. 28 on UK's Singles chart.
"Ascension (Don't Ever Wonder)" debuted on the Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Singles & Tracks in August 1996 at number 11, eventually peaking number eight and spending 29 weeks on the chart. It spent eighteen weeks on the Billboard Hot 100, peaking at number 36 on September 28, 1996. The B side of the single is "Lock You Up N' Love Fa Days," which was previously unreleased and also written and produced by Musze.
Billboard wrote that the song "continues to revisit the classic soul ground first mined by legends like Marvin Gaye and Smokey Robinson ." They explained further that "cruising at a chilled midtempo pace, Maxwell flexes his voice to falsetto heights while also displaying a rich lower register that's so sexy. Wrap in a rubbery bassline and jiggly funk guitars and you have a tasty single". Music & Media commented that "it won't take long for the world to discover the Next Big Thing In Soul Music. Maxwell is quickly capturing hearts all over the world. He even got TAFKAP to do the sound of his recent Paris show. He oozes charisma and he has the musical clout to back it up. He glides his way through this mid-tempo smoothie with a delicious deep bass and wah wah guitars." AllMusic editor Stephen Cook picked the song as one of the highlights on the album Maxwell's Urban Hang Suite.
|UK Singles (Official Charts Company)||28|
|UK R&B (Official Charts Company)||6|
|U.S. Billboard Hot 100||36|
|U.S. Billboard R&B/Hip-Hop Songs||8|
|Scotland (Official Charts Company)||52|
- www.Official Charts Company-maxwell Official Charts Companying
- Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs: Ascension (Don't Ever Wonder) - Aug 17 1996. Billboard. Retrieved on 2009-04-04.
- The Billboard Hot 100: Ascension (Don't Ever Wonder) - Sep 28 1996. Billboard. Retrieved on 2009-04-04.
- "Single Reviews" (PDF). Billboard magazine. 1996-06-29. p. 80. Retrieved 2020-02-05.
- "New Releases: Singles" (PDF). Music & Media (1996-08-24, page 10). Retrieved 2018-02-28.
- "Maxwell - Maxwell's Urban Hang Suite". AllMusic. Retrieved 2020-02-17.
- "Official R&B Singles Chart Top 40". officialcharts.com.
- "Official Scottish Singles Sales Chart Top 100". Official Charts Company. Retrieved 2018-06-13.