|Traded as||ASX: AIO|
|Industry||Transport, Logistics, Stevedoring and Rail transport|
|Headquarters||476 St Kilda Road, Melbourne Australia|
|Malcolm Broomhead, Chairman
John Mullen, CEO
Roger Burrows, CFO
Asciano Limited is an Australian freight logistics company, operating in railway freight and shipping. Asciano was demerged from Toll Holdings in 2007, and owns Patrick Corporation and Pacific National as subsidiary companies. Asciano specialises in bulk and container shipping and transportation, with port and train operations across Australia. It has over 8,000 employees. It is an ASX 50 company.
In June 2015, Brookfield Infrastructure Partners launched a takeover offer for the company, but Qube Holdings since made a counter offer. The offers have attracted the attention of the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission, with both already owning transport and port operations in Australia.
On 3 June 2016, shareholders of Asciano voted in favour of the takeover bid with the Foreign Investment Review Board announcing that it had no objections for the offer on 27 July 2016. The scheme implementation date is set on Friday 19 August 2016 where payment of the Scheme consideration will take place and the transaction will be completed. After this date the assets of Asciano will be divided as below. 
- Asciano, including the Pacific National business will be owned by Australian Logistics Acquisition Investments Pty Limited, a consortium of Global Infrastructure Partners, CPP Investment Board, China Investment Corporation, GIC Private Limited and British Columbia Investment Management Corporation. The transfer was completed on 19 August 2016.
- The Patrick Container Terminals business will be owned by the Ports HoldCo joint venture which is controlled by Brookfield Infrastructure Partners, GIC Private Limited, British Colombia Investment Management Corporation, Qatar Investment Authority, and Qube Holdings Limited.
- The Patrick Bulk, Automotive and Ports Services Business will be owned by Brookfield Infrastructure Partners, GIC Private Limited, British Colombia Investment Management Corporation, and Qatar Investment Authority.
- ASX Top 50 Australian Securities Exchange
- Asciano takeover battle drags on SBS News 5 February 2016
- Asciano board backs Qube consortium's enlarged takeover bid Sydney Morning Herald 9 February 2016
- "Pacific National sold to international pension funds". International Railway Journal. 15 March 2016.
- "Asciano completes Pacific National ownership deal". International Railwat Journal. 23 August 2016.