|Hubs||Simón Bolívar International Airport
Arturo Michelena International Airport
|Focus cities||Santiago Mariño International Airport
Las Americas International Airport
|Company slogan||Por todo lo alto
(all over the sky)
|Headquarters||Valencia, Carabobo State, Venezuela|
|Key people||Simeon Garcia
Aserca Airlines C.A. (Aero Servicios Carabobo) is an airline based in Valencia, Carabobo, Venezuela. It operates domestic and regional scheduled services to destinations in the Caribbean, Central America and the USA. Its main base is Arturo Michelena International Airport, Valencia, with a hub at Simón Bolívar International Airport, Caracas.
The airline was established in 1968 and started operations in 1991 with small aircraft for private transport. In 1992 it entered the domestic scheduled market with a leased Douglas DC-9-30. Aserca's operations were centred on Valencia, but it managed to develop Caracas as a hub after 1994 which made it experience a significant growth in its market share, expanding its network to Bogotá, Lima and Miami (no longer in service) via Aruba. Between 1998 and 2000 Aserca had a controlling interest in Air Aruba. In 2008, Aserca took a majority stake in fellow Venezuelan carrier SBA Airlines (formerly Santa Bárbara Airlines). A proposed merger is in discussion.
In June 2013, Venezuela’s National Institute of Civil Aviation (Instituto Nacional de Aeronáutica Civil - INAC) announced that it will prohibit operations of classic aircraft types like the Douglas DC-9, Boeing 727 and Boeing 737-200 in Venezuela from November 1, 2013. Aserca Airlines could obtain a special dispensation from INAC allowing the airline to operate its remaining two DC-9 until July 1, 2014. Ascerca has chosen to replace its DC-9 with two ex-Aeromexico MD-87 that are currently stored at Miami Opa-locka Airport awaiting delivery.
Aserca Airlines consists of 11 destinations, nine of them are domestic.
- Caracas-Simón Bolivar International Airport (Hub)
- Barcelona - General Jose Antonio Anzoategui International Airport
- Maracaibo-La Chinita International Airport
- Maturín - José Tadeo Monagas Airport
- Barquisimeto - Jacinto Lara International Airport
- Santo Domingo del Táchira Airport
- Porlamar - Del Caribe Santiago Mariño International Airport
- Ciudad Guayana-Manuel Carlos Piar International Airport
- Valencia-Arturo Michelena International Airport (Hub)
- Oranjestad-Queen Beatrix International Airport (Aruba)
- Santo Domingo - Las Américas International Airport (Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic)
The Aserca Airlines fleet consists of the following aircraft (as of October 2014):
|McDonnell Douglas MD-83||9||152|
Accidents and Incidents
In 2011, an Aserca Airlines DC9 had to make an emergency landing in Puerto Ordaz Airport because of smoke in the cabin. All passengers and crew arrived safely at the airport.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Aserca Airlines.|
- Official website (Spanish)