|Native to||Peru, Brazil|
Ashéninka (Ashéninca, Ashéninga) is the name that some varieties included in the Ashéninka-Asháninka dialect complex have traditionally received, which belongs to the Kampan branch of the Arawak family. The Ethnologue distinguishes seven languages throughout the whole complex, while Pedrós proposes a division in three languages (Ashéninka, Asháninka and Northern Ashé-Ashá) based on the principle of mutual intelligibility. The varieties included in Ashéninka and Northern Ashé-Ashá have traditionally been called Ashéninka. The Glottolog reflects Pedrós’ proposal, although considering the languages proposed by him as groupings of the languages that the Ethnologue distinguishes.
According to the indigenous peoples database of the Peruvian Ministry of Education, there are 13,496 people living in Ashéninka communities, of whom 9,881 (73%) claim to be able to speak the language. The Ethnologue gives much higher figures for the different Ashéninka varieties.
Ashéninka is a locally official language in Peru, as are all native Peruvian languages. It and its relatives are also known by the largely pejorative term Campa.
Ashéninka was recognized as a separate language from Asháninka in 2017, and the process to fix an alphabet finished in 2019 with its approval by the Ministery of Education.
- "Base de Datos Oficial de Pueblos Indígenas u Originarios". Base de Datos de Pueblos Indígenas u Originarios. Ministerio de Cultura del Perú.
- Hammarström, Harald; Forkel, Robert; Haspelmath, Martin, eds. (2017). "Ashe-Asha". Glottolog 3.0. Jena, Germany: Max Planck Institute for the Science of Human History.
- Pedrós, Toni (2018). "Ashéninka y asháninka: ¿de cuántas lenguas hablamos?". Cadernos de etnolingüística. 6 (1): 1–30. Retrieved 6 September 2018.
- Payne, David L. (1981). The Phonology and Morphology of Axininca Campa. Dallas: Summer Institute of Linguistics.
- "Ya es oficial el alfabeto de la lengua asheninka". Andina.
|This Arawakan languages-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|