Ash Flat, Arkansas
|Ash Flat, Arkansas|
|• Total||6.1 sq mi (15.9 km2)|
|• Land||6.1 sq mi (15.9 km2)|
|• Water||0 sq mi (0 km2)|
|Elevation||663 ft (202 m)|
|• Density||180/sq mi (68/km2)|
|Time zone||Central (CST) (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|GNIS feature ID||0076202|
Ash Flat was established in 1856, named by local residents in honor of a nearby grove of ash trees.
Due in part to the remoteness of the area, Ash Flat became the center of trade for nearby farmers soon after its formation. In the years following the Civil War, Ash Flat was home to three stores, a blacksmith shop, a cotton gin and two saloons. In the years leading up to the turn of the 20th century, the town also claimed a hotel, a drug store and a flour and grist mill, in addition to a sawmill that became a necessity after the community saw an increase in lumber production.
Ash Flat is located at (36.231107, -91.609163).
As of the census of 2000, there were 977 people, 430 households, and 233 families residing in the city. The population density was 175.7 people per square mile (67.8/km²). There were 485 housing units at an average density of 87.2 per square mile (33.7/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 98.57% White, 0.41% Black or African American, 0.20% Native American, and 0.82% from two or more races. 0.72% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.
There were 430 households out of which 24.0% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 42.1% were married couples living together, 10.5% had a female householder with no husband present, and 45.8% were non-families. 41.4% of all households were made up of individuals and 27.7% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.09 and the average family size was 2.91.
In the city the population was spread out with 21.6% under the age of 18, 5.7% from 18 to 24, 20.5% from 25 to 44, 20.6% from 45 to 64, and 31.6% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 47 years. For every 100 females there were 72.9 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 70.6 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $16,797, and the median income for a family was $22,019. Males had a median income of $24,815 versus $15,556 for females. The per capita income for the city was $11,506. About 24.5% of families and 31.7% of the population were below the poverty line, including 42.2% of those under age 18 and 22.6% of those age 65 or over.
- "Profile of General Population and Housing Characteristics: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (DP-1): Ash Flat city, Arkansas". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved August 10, 2012.
- "Find a County". National Association of Counties. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Ash Flat city, Arkansas". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved August 10, 2012.
- "Annual Estimates of the Resident Population for Incorporated Places: April 1, 2010 to July 1, 2015". Retrieved July 2, 2016.
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Retrieved June 4, 2015.
- "Annual Estimates of the Resident Population for Incorporated Places: April 1, 2010 to July 1, 2014". Retrieved June 4, 2015.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Reichler, Joseph L., ed. (1979) . The Baseball Encyclopedia (4th ed.). New York: Macmillan Publishing. ISBN 0-02-578970-8.