Ashburton railway station, Melbourne
|Location||Welfare Parade, Ashburton|
|Distance||15.39 kilometres from Southern Cross|
|Fare zone||Myki zone 1|
|Website||Public Transport Victoria|
|Opened||30 May 1890|
Ashburton Railway Station is located on the Alamein line in Victoria, Australia. It serves the eastern Melbourne suburb of Ashburton, opening as Norwood on 30 May 1890, and was renamed Ashburton on 12 December 1890. It was part of the first section of the Outer Circle line.
By 1893, the northern half of the Outer Circle had closed, and on 9 December 1895, the stretch beyond Ashburton, connecting with Oakleigh closed as well. For a short period, this left the line from Camberwell to Ashburton as the last remaining stretch.
On 1 May 1897, Ashburton closed, along with the line from Camberwell. After an outcry from the local community, that section of the line reopened on 4 July 1898, becoming the Ashburton line once again. Electrified on 30 October 1924, it continued as the Ashburton line until 28 June 1948, when the track was extended 600 metres to Alamein, and became the Alamein line.
Timetabled use of the stabling siding ended in July 1989, due to vandalism of trains stabled there, with the siding booked out of service in 2015. It was upgraded to a Premium station on 1 February 1996.
Immediately north of the station, the double track becomes single for the rest of the journey to Alamein.
Platforms & services
- Alamein line: all stations and limited stops services to Alamein, Camberwell & Flinders Street (weekdays)
Ventura Bus Lines operates one route via Ashburton station:
- Ashburton Vicsig
- "Operations". Newsrail. Australian Railway Historical Society. October 1989. p. 314.
- "Works". Newsrail. Australian Railway Historical Society. February 2016. p. 56.
- "Upgrading Eltham to a Premium Station". Newsrail. Australian Railway Historical Society. October 1997. p. 310.
- Alamein Line timetable Public Transport Victoria
- Route 734 Glen Iris - Glen Waverley timetable Public Transport Victoria
- Melway map at street-directory.com.au
|Preceding station||Disused railways||Following station|
|Burwood||Continued beyond Alamein as the Outer Circle line||Waverley Road|
|List of closed railway stations in Melbourne|