Ashby station (BART)
Ashby station platform viewed from the mezzanine level
|Location||3100 Adeline Street|
|Owned by||Bay Area Rapid Transit, City of Berkeley|
|Platforms||1 island platform|
|Connections|| AC Transit: F, 12, 18, 80, 81, 800|
West Berkeley Shuttle
|Bicycle facilities||racks, station, 24 shared lockers, 24 keyed reserved lockers|
|Opened||January 29, 1973|
|Passengers (FY 2016)||5,699 exits/day|
Ashby is a Bay Area Rapid Transit (BART) station located under Adeline Street and perpendicular to Ashby Avenue in South Berkeley of Berkeley, California. The station includes park-and-ride facilities with 715 automobile parking spaces in two separate parking lots.
The three stations in Berkeley were originally planned to be elevated, but the City of Berkeley paid extra tax to have them built underground. Service at Ashby station began on January 29, 1973, as part of the MacArthur to Richmond extension.
Unique in the BART system, the City of Berkeley, rather than BART, controls the air rights on the parking lots. The west parking lot of the station hosts a popular flea market on weekends; a proposed residential development over the west lot has proven locally controversial. Between 2008 and 2010, a portion of the east parking lot was redeveloped as the Ed Roberts Campus, which houses several regional disability-related organizations. The east parking lot and station entrance were closed for construction on August 18, 2008. The east parking lot reopened on April 19, 2010, and the Ed Roberts Campus and the new east entrance opened that November.
The station has a single island platform located below ground. The fare mezzanine is located at the same level as the west parking lot; stairs and an elevator provide access from Adeline Street overhead.
|G||Street Level||Exits/Entrances, parking lot levels (above ground)|
|M||Mezzanine||One-way faregates, ticket machines, station agent|
|Northbound||← Richmond–Daly City/Millbrae toward Richmond (Downtown Berkeley) |
← Richmond–Warm Springs/South Fremont toward Richmond (Downtown Berkeley)
|Island platform, doors will open on the left|
|Southbound||→ Richmond–Daly City/Millbrae toward Daly City or Millbrae (MacArthur) →|
→ Richmond–Warm Springs/South Fremont toward Warm Springs (MacArthur) →
- Local: 12, 18, 80, 81
- Transbay: F
- All Nighter: 800
The free West Berkeley Shuttle runs from the station to the West Berkeley area.
- "BART Chronology January 1947 – March 2009" (PDF). San Francisco Bay Area Rapid Transit District. March 2009. Archived from the original (PDF) on October 13, 2013.
- Bay Area Rapid Transit District. "Monthly Ridership Reports". Retrieved 6 February 2017.
- Orenstein, Natalie (March 27, 2017). "Possibilities for Adeline Corridor include BART underground, public park". Berkeleyside.
- "Ashby Station east entrance and lot to close for 18 months" (Press release). San Francisco Bay Area Rapid Transit District. August 1, 2008.
- "Ashby Station east parking lot to reopen April 19th" (Press release). San Francisco Bay Area Rapid Transit District. April 6, 2010.
- Taylor, Tracey (November 19, 2010). "Pioneering disability center opens its Berkeley campus". Berkeleyside.
- "Transit Information: Ashby Station" (PDF). Metropolitan Transportation Commission. December 12, 2017.
- "West Berkeley Shuttle". Berkeley Gateway Transportation Management Association.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Ashby station (BART).|