Ashdown School District
|Ashdown School District|
|511 North Second Street
Ashdown, Arkansas 71822
|Students and staff|
|Teachers||127.02 (on FTE basis)|
Ashdown School District is a public school district based in Ashdown, Arkansas, United States. The Ashdown School District provides early childhood, elementary and secondary education for more than 1,500 kindergarten through grade 12 students at its five facilities.
The first school building for white children was built in 1903, though classes had been meeting since 1891 in a building owned by Alex Bishop. In 1914, the existing school building was moved from Burke Street to Park Avenue to provide space for a new brick school building, built in 1915 by Henry Westbrook. It was torn down in 1964 to erect the present L. F. Henderson Intermediate School on Burke Street. In 1954, a new brick high school was built. It has now been replaced by a modern seven-million-dollar facility constructed around the Rankin Street School.
The first school for black children was built in 1899. Eventually, the Rosenwald School was built. In the 1940s, the Ashdown School District consolidated the Rosenwald School, and it became part of Ashdown School District 31. The Rosenwald School became the Little River Training School, and N. M. Brown became its new principal, serving for thirty-eight years. After the building burned, the Ashdown School District rebuilt the school and called it N. M. Brown Elementary School. This school burned in 1979, and the district built another school on the east end of Ashdown and called it Ashdown Junior High School. After the integration of black and white students, all high school students attended the high school on Rankin Street.
In spring 2007 the Rankin Street school closed to make way for a state-of-the-art facility located on the same campus but facing Locust Street. The 2007-08 school year began in the new location. With this 8 million dollar expansion, freshmen were brought over from the junior high school to join the Ashdown High School student body.
- Ashdown High School—grades 9 through 12.
- Ashdown Junior High School—grades 6 through 8.
- L. F. Henderson Intermediate School—grades 4 through 5.
- C. D. Franks Elementary School—grades 2 through 3.
- Margaret Daniels Primary School—kindergarten through grade 1.
- "Search for Public School Districts – District Detail for Ashdown School District". National Center for Education Statistics. Institute of Education Sciences. Retrieved 19 November 2012.
- "School Profile, Ashdown School District". AdvancED. Retrieved 19 November 2012.