|Rabbi Asher Arieli|
|Rabbi Asher Arieli|
Rabbi Asher Arieli (born 1957) is the senior lecturer at Yeshivas Mir in Israel. He is globally renowned for his lectures on Talmud and is widely recognized as a Gadol haredi in his own right. He presently delivers the largest Talmudic lecture by attendance in the world with 700 daily attendees. His primary, daily shiur begins at about 6:00pm and is streamed live at kolhaloshon.com.
Rabbi Asher Arieli is married to the daughter of Rabbi Nachum Partzovitz, the late Rosh Yeshiva of Mir. Rabbi Arieli is the son of Rabbi Chaim Yaakov Arieli, author of Be'er Yaakov (באר יעקב). Rabbi Chaim Yaakov Arieli was the son of Rabbi Yitzhak Arieli, author of Einaim L'Mishpat (עינים למשפט) and Mashgiach Ruchani of Mercaz HaRav. Rabbi Mordechai Ilan, the son-in-law of Rabbi Yitzhak Arieli is Reb Asher's paternal uncle. Reb Chaim Yaakov's wife is the sister of Rabbi Moishe Sternbuch, as is the wife of Rabbi Meshulam Dovid Soloveitchik, making the two Rabbis his uncles. Reb Asher's brother Rabbi Shlomo Arieli is the author of a critical edition of the novallae of Rabbi Akiva Eiger.
Rabbi Arieli lives in the Sanhedria Murhevet neighborhood of Jerusalem, Israel where he has also been active in a movement to establish Rabbinic overseeing of the rent control there after an inadequate supply of rental units caused prices to rise substantially in a very short time period.
The following is a partial list of Reb Asher's set lecture:
- Shiur is his daily lecture on the Talmudic Tractate officially learned in Mir (Yiddish).
- Monday and Thursday Chaburos are twice-weekly lectures on the Talmudic Tractate officially learned in Mir (Hebrew)
- Thursday night Chabura is an exclusive lecture expounding on the shiur delivered in Reb Asher's home to a select group of senior students
- Tuesday night and Friday morning shiur (on talmudic tractate) given in Tifferet Tzvi, yeshiva haredit for Religious Zionists students who wants to learn torah like haredim.
Additionally, Reb Asher has delivered guest lectures for such events as the Agudas Yisroel annual Yarchei Kallah. The last eight years of Rabbi Arieli's lectures are available by telephone and for download.
Although Reb Asher's lectures are in Yiddish, his mother tongue is Hebrew and he only learnt Yiddish in order to understand the lectures which he heard in Yeshivas Mir. Lectures in the Mir are often given in Yiddish
Several of Reb Asher's students, such as Rav Yoel Rabin, Rav Shmuli Wolman, Rav Eli Reznick, R' Moshe Ahron Friedman, and Rav Yosef Elefant, give lectures in Yeshivas Mir for English-speaking audiences, mainly in the Beis Yeshaya building of Mir. One such exception is the class of his student R' Yaakov Moshe Katz, whose students learn in Beis Shalom, the same beis medrish as Reb Asher's shiur. Rav Eitan Jaffan is another distinguished Talmud of Reb Asher. Rabbi Yechiel Spero, author of "Touched by a Story" considers himself a student of Reb Asher.
Many of his students are now respected lecturers in yeshivas worldwide, including the USA and the UK.
- Meller, Shimon Yosef (1 January 2007). "The Brisker Rav: The Life and Times of Maran HaGaon ... Yitzchok Ze`ev HaLevi Soloveichik Zt"l : Including Stories of the Great City of Brisk from Its Establishment as a Torah Center Until Its Destruction During the Holocaust". Feldheim Publishers – via Google Books.
- http://www.theyeshivaworld.com/article.phpp=13614[permanent dead link]
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2011-05-25. Retrieved 2009-04-20.
- Scharf, Menasche (2001-12-27). "Our Little Corner: Local and other news round up - Read all about it here". Our Little Corner. Retrieved 2016-05-15.
- Spero, Yechiel (2003-01-01). Touched by a Story: Inspiring Stories Retold by a Master Teacher. Mesorah Publications. ISBN 9781578193820.