Ashesh Prosad Mitra
|Ashesh Prosad Mitra|
February 21, 1927|
Kolkata, West Bengal
|Died||September 3, 2007
|Known for||Radio & Space Physics|
|Notable awards||Padma Bhushan, 1987|
Ashesh Prosad Mitra, FRS (21 February 1927 - 3 September 2007) was a physicist who headed the National Physics Laboratory in Delhi, India and was the Director General of the Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR). He is primarily known for his work on environmental physics.
He died at New Delhi in September, 2007.
Radio & Space Physics was his area of specialization. He performed major work in the field of earth's near-space environment, through group based and space techniques. He worked on cosmic radio noise for studying the upper atmosphere led to a series of discoveries in ionosphere, solar physics and cosmic rays.
Honours and awards
- He was awarded the Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar Prize for Physical Science in 1968. The citation read: "Dr Mitra is one of the acknowledged authorities on ionosphere and on some aspects of space research. His pioneering work on the use of cosmic radio noise for upper atmosphere studies resulted in a whole series of scientific discoveries in ionosphere, solar physics and cosmic rays. He has carried out comprehensive studies on the ionospheric effects of solar flares and has established one of the most extensive radio flare systems at the National Physical Laboratory. He developed an atmospheric model from observations of satellite drag and initiated new D region rocket experiments. Dr Mitra’s work on ion and neutral chemistry in the upper atmosphere, especially on the minor constituent nitric oxide, provided the basis for much of our present knowledge about the lower ionosphere. He has contributed substantially to the establishment and operation of the International Spacewarn System and the International Ursi-gramme and World Day Service. 
- He was a Foreign Fellow of Bangladesh Academy of Sciences 
- He was recipient of the Padma Bhushan award in the year 1987.
- He was elected a Fellow of the Royal Society of London in 1988.
- About CSIR
- Prof. A. P. Mitra passes away
- "Shant Swarup Bhatnagar prizewinners". CSIR. Retrieved 22 October 2010.
- List of Fellows of Bangladesh Academy of Sciences.
- "List of Fellows of the Royal Society 1660 – 2007" (PDF). Royal Society. Retrieved 26 January 2016.
- Mitra, A.N (November 2007). "Ashesh Prosad Mitra (1927–2007)" (PDF). Current Science. 93 (9): 1314–1315. Retrieved 2008-07-10.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to A. P. Mitra.|
|This article about an Indian scientist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|