Ashikaga Yoshikatsu (足利 義勝?, March 19, 1434 – August 16, 1443) was the 7th shogun of the Ashikaga shogunate who reigned from 1442 to 1443 during the Muromachi period of Japan. Yoshikatsu was the son of 6th shogun Ashikaga Yoshinori.
Significant events which shaped the period during which Yoshikatsu was shogun:
- July 12, 1441 (Kakitsu 1, 24th day of the 6th month): Shogun Yoshinori is murdered at the age of 48 by Akamatsu Mitsusuke; and shortly thereafter, it is determined that his 8-year-old son, Yoshikatsu, will become the new Shogun.
- 1442 (Kakitsu 2): Yoshikatsu is confirmed as shogun.
- August 16, 1443 (Kakitsu 3, 21 day of the 7th month): Shogun Yoshikatsu died at the age of 10. Fond of horse riding, he was fatally injured in a fall from a horse. He had been shogun for only three years. His 8-year-old brother, Yoshinari, was then named shogun. Several years after he became shogun, Yoshinari changed his name to Yoshimasa, and he is better known by that name.
Era of Yoshikatsu's bakufu
- Kakitsu (1441–1444)
- Titsingh, Isaac. (1834). Annales des empereurs du Japon, p. 340., p. 340, at Google Books
- Ackroyd, Joyce. (1982) Lessons from History: The Tokushi Yoron, p. 330.
- Titsingh, p. 340., p. 340, at Google Books; Screech, Timon. (2006). Secret Memoirs of the Shoguns: Isaac Titsingh and Japan, 1779–1822, p. 234 n.10 – Yoshinori (b. 1394 – d. 1441) = 48yrs. and Yoshikatsu (b. 1434 – d. 1443) = 8yrs. In this period, "children were considered one year old at birth and became two the following New Year's Day; and all people advanced a year that day, not on their actual birthday."
- Titsingh, p. 342., p. 342, at Google Books
- Titsingh, p. 346., p. 346, at Google Books
- Titsingh, pp. 331-342., p. 331, at Google Books
- Ackroyd, Joyce. (1982) Lessons from History: The Tokushi Yoron. Brisbane: University of Queensland Press. ISBN 9780702214851; OCLC 7574544
- Screech, Timon. (2006). Secret Memoirs of the Shoguns: Isaac Titsingh and Japan, 1779-1822. London: RoutledgeCurzon. ISBN 978-0-203-09985-8; OCLC 65177072
- Titsingh, Isaac. (1834). Nihon Odai Ichiran; ou, Annales des empereurs du Japon. Paris: Royal Asiatic Society, Oriental Translation Fund of Great Britain and Ireland. OCLC 585069