|Alma mater||IIT Bombay
|Occupation||MD & CEO of Bombay Stock Exchange|
Ashish Kumar Chauhan (Ashishkumar Chauhan) is an Indian business executive and administrator. He is the current managing director and chief executive officer of the Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE).
Biography and Career
Chauhan graduated from Indian Institute of Technology Bombay (IIT Bombay) with a bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering in 1989, after which he joined Indian Institute of Management Calcutta (IIM Calcutta) for an MBA. After graduating from IIM-C in 1991, Chauhan joined IDBI Bank.
The National Stock Exchange of India was set up in 1992 by a consortium of several major Indian financial institutions led by IDBI Bank. Chauhan was a member of the core team that founded the NSE. He moved into a permanent role at the NSE in 1993, and stayed till 2000 when he left as the Vice President. At NSE, Chauhan set up the first successful screen-based trading framework in equities in India which has grown to be the largest equities market in India, created NSE-50 (Nifty) Index and established India's first commercial satellite telecom network.
After leaving NSE, Chauhan joined Reliance Industries, a large Indian conglomerate. His first post in the group was as the Chief Information Officer (CIO) of Reliance Communications. He later became the President and CIO of the group. He also served as the CEO of Mumbai Indians, a cricket team in the Indian Premier League (IPL), as the CEO of Reliance Infosolutions, an information technology company in the group, and as the Head of Corporate Communications of the group.
Chauhan left Reliance and joined the Bombay Stock Exchange in 2009 as the Deputy CEO. He was made the MD and CEO on November 2, 2012. He also serves as the Shareholder Director on the Board of Indian Clearing Corporation Limited (ICCL), which provides clearing and settlement services to BSE and the United Stock Exchange (USE).
Chauhan serves on the Boards of directors of Central Depository Services Limited (CDSL), Bank of India Shareholding Limited (BOISL), BSE Institute Ltd(BIL) and Marketplace Technologies.He is appointed as the chairman of NATIONAL INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY (NIT)- MANIPUR in the month of January, 2016. He also serves on the Board of Governors of IIIT Jabalpur
- "Ashishkumar Chauhan appointed MD & CEO of BSE". Mumbai: The Hindu. November 2, 2012. Retrieved 3 November 2012.
- "Ashish Chauhan appointed new BSE managing director". Daily News and Analysis. Nov 2, 2012. Retrieved 3 November 2012.
- Rajesh Mascarenhas (2 Nov 2012). "Ashishkumar Chauhan appointed as MD & CEO of BSE". Mumbai: The Economic Times. Retrieved 3 November 2012.
- "BSE Institute Limited: Governing Board". Bombay Stock Exchange. Retrieved 3 November 2012.
- "If information is power...". Dataquest. November 27, 2008. Retrieved 21 November 2012.
- Priyanka, Anup Varier; Sneha Jha (18 February 2010). "The Insiders - CIOs Who Became CEOs". CIO. Retrieved 14 June 2011.
- "IIIT: Board of Governors". IIIT Jabalpur. Retrieved 25 August 2013.