Ashland, Chemung County, New York
Ashland, New York
|• Type||Town Council|
|• Town Supervisor||Vern K. Robinson|
|• Town Council|
|• Total||14.54 sq mi (37.65 km2)|
|• Land||14.18 sq mi (36.73 km2)|
|• Water||0.36 sq mi (0.92 km2)|
|Elevation||827 ft (252 m)|
| • Estimate |
|• Density||113.38/sq mi (43.78/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-5 (Eastern (EST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-4 (EDT)|
|GNIS feature ID||0978691|
The first settlers arrived circa 1788. The town of Ashland was formed in 1867 from parts of the towns of Chemung, Elmira and Southport. The founders of the town wanted to name it after a prominent citizen, R.C. Lockwood, but he suggested the name "Ashland". Ashland was the last town created in Chemung County.
Growing and shipping tobacco was a popular endeavor after 1858.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 14.6 square miles (37.7 km2), of which 14.2 square miles (36.7 km2) is land and 0.35 square miles (0.9 km2), or 2.44%, is water.
|U.S. Decennial Census|
As of the census of 2000, there were 1,951 people, 785 households, and 518 families residing in the town. The population density was 138.0 people per square mile (53.3/km2). There were 839 housing units at an average density of 59.3 per square mile (22.9/km2). The racial makeup of the town was 98.51% White, 0.36% African American, 0.21% Native American, 0.10% Asian, 0.10% from other races, and 0.72% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.62% of the population.
There were 785 households, out of which 28.2% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 51.7% were married couples living together, 8.5% had a female householder with no husband present, and 34.0% were non-families. 26.5% of all households were made up of individuals, and 12.9% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.48 and the average family size was 3.01.
In the town, the population was spread out, with 24.9% under the age of 18, 6.9% from 18 to 24, 27.0% from 25 to 44, 24.7% from 45 to 64, and 16.6% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 40 years. For every 100 females, there were 103.0 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 100.0 males.
The median income for a household in the town was $33,629, and the median income for a family was $40,882. Males had a median income of $32,012 versus $21,553 for females. The per capita income for the town was $17,749. About 8.7% of families and 11.2% of the population were below the poverty line, including 14.3% of those under age 18 and 4.7% of those age 65 or over.
Communities and locations in Ashland
- Baldwin Island – An island in the Chemung River north of Wellsburg.
- Big Island – An island in the Chemung River northwest of Baldwin Island.
- Comfort Hill – A prominent hill on the western side of the town.
- Lowman – A hamlet, partly in the town, north of the Chemung River on NY-17 at the intersection of County Road 8.
- Newtown Battlefield Reservation – The site of the Battle of Newtown is in the northern part of the town by the Chemung River.
- Wellsburg – The village of Wellsburg is near the Pennsylvania border. It is named after early settler, Abner Wells.
- "2016 U.S. Gazetteer Files". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved Jul 4, 2017.
- "Population and Housing Unit Estimates". Retrieved June 9, 2017.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Ashland town, Chemung County, New York". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Archived from the original on February 12, 2020. Retrieved October 31, 2014.
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Retrieved June 4, 2015.
- "U.S. Census website". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Town of Ashland official website
- Tri-Counties Genealogy & History: Town of Ashland & Village of Wellsburg, Chemung County NY