Ashland High School (Oregon)
|Ashland High School|
|201 S Mountain Ave
Ashland, Oregon, Jackson County 97520
|School district||Ashland School District|
|Principal||Erika Bare (interim)|
|Number of students||1,000 (2012-2013)|
|Color(s)||Red and White|
|Athletics conference||OSAA Midwestern League 5A|
|Accreditation||Northwest Association of Accredited Schools|
Ashland School District administration building in 2013
On June 3, 2006 at 2:30 p.m a fire broke out in the AHS room behind the gym during a farewell assembly for the seniors. Students and teachers were evacuated. The gym was heavily damaged and Mountain Avenue was closed for hours. No one was hurt during the fire. The fire department determined that the fire was started by two students with firework sparklers.
Ashland High School's homecoming on September 25, 2015 was the first school dance at AHS to feature politically correct gender-neutral "homecoming royalty". The change was initiated by student body presidents and approved by the principal at the time, Michelle Zundel. The change received wide publicly and was announced to the student body in a video shown to all students during the mandatory "advisory" class.
On the afternoon of October 1, 2015, during the school's homecoming celebration, Ashland Police Department officers put the school into lockdown following a potential threat of a school shooting. An AHS alumnus posted to Facebook a photo of a gun with threatening statements against the school. The Umpqua Community College shooting had taken place about three and a half hours prior, prompting the police to take the situation especially seriously. Students were kept in classes 10 minutes past the end of the day and the homecoming parade was cancelled. The threat was later deemed too vague to represent a significant danger.
- Alan DeBoer - state senator
- Chad Cota - NFL player
- Ann Curry (1974) - Emmy award-winning television journalist
- David Fincher - film director
- Sam Gaviglio - baseball player
- Jeremy Guthrie - MLB pitcher, Kansas City Royals
- Kenneth Hobson - United States Air Force four-star general
- Darren Kavinoky (1984) - criminal lawyer and television journalist
- Winona LaDuke - Native American politician
- Sonny Sixkiller (1969) - NFL quarterback
- Larry Wagner (1926) - composer and arranger
- Tessa Violet (2008) - Tessa Violet Williams: Internet vlogger, singer, songwriter
- Hannah Stocking (2011) - Social Media Personality
- Joe ZavalaAshland Daily Tidings. "Three new principals for 2015-16". DailyTidings.com.
- "Search for Public Schools - School Detail for Ashland High School". ed.gov.
- "OSAA - Error". osaa.org.
- http://www.northwestaccreditation.org/schools/Oregon.pdf[permanent dead link]
- Name[permanent dead link]
- Alan Panebaker,Ashland Daily Tidings. "June 3, 2006 Ashland Fire and Rescue Chief Woodley talks on his radio outside of the badly burned section of Ashland High School. Photos by Orville Hector - Daily Tidings Blaze destroys AHS room Students evacuated, no". DailyTidings.com.
- Plain, Robert (July 28, 2006). "Suspected Arson at Ashland High School". Ashland Daily Tidings.
- Joe Zavala for the Mail Tribune. "Ashland High drops homecoming king and queen". MailTribune.com.
- "This High School Has An Amazing Reason For Getting Rid Of Its Homecoming King And Queen". Huffington Post. 2014-10-06.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2015-10-02. Retrieved 2015-10-02.
- "'Alarming' Facebook post cancels Ashland High School Homecoming Parade". OregonLive.com.
- "State releases high school graduation rates". The Oregonian. 2009-06-30. Retrieved 2009-07-01.
- "Oregon dropout rates for 2008". The Oregonian. 2009-06-30. Retrieved 2009-07-01.
- "Best High Schools 2010". U.S. News & World Report. 2009-12-09. Archived from the original on 2010-07-03. Retrieved 2010-01-16.
- Graves, Bill (2010-01-15). "Nine Oregon high schools ranked among best in nation". The Oregonian. Archived from the original on 17 January 2010. Retrieved 2010-01-16.
- David Fincher - Biography
- "Gaviglio shows MLB potential in stint with Cardinals". DailyTidings.com. Retrieved November 24, 2014.