Ashley Graham (model)
Ashley Graham at Sports Illustrated Swim City fan festival in 2016
|Born||October 30, 1987|
|Spouse(s)||Justin Ervin (m. 2010)|
|Height||5 ft 9 1⁄2 in (177 cm)|
Ashley Graham (born October 30, 1987) is an American model. She has appeared on the cover of fashion magazines such as Vogue, Harper's Bazaar, Glamour, and Elle. In addition, she appeared in several Levi's campaigns. Graham has appeared on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno, The Late Late Show with James Corden, Entertainment Tonight, and CBS News and was interviewed by NPR about plus-size modeling.
When Ashley Graham was in eighth grade, she moved to Lincoln, Nebraska with her family. Growing up, Graham was diagnosed with ADD and dyslexia. She has two younger sisters. She attended Scott Middle School from 1999 to 2002 and attended Lincoln Southwest High School from 2002 to 2005. She was identified in 2000 by the I & I agency while shopping at Oak View Mall in Omaha, Nebraska.
In 2001, Graham signed a deal with Wilhelmina Models, after attending a model convention. In 2003, she signed a deal with Ford Models. During her early career, Graham appeared in YM magazine. In April 2007, she was profiled by Sally Singer of Vogue magazine and then appeared on the October 2009 issue of Glamour editorial 'These Bodies are Beautiful at Every Size,' along with plus-size models; including Kate Dillon Levin, Amy Lemons, Lizzie Miller, Crystal Renn, Jennie Runk and Anansa Sims. In 2010, Graham appeared in a controversial Lane Bryant TV commercial. The commercial received over 800,000 views on YouTube and was covered by news outlets such as The Huffington Post and the New York Post. On May 31, 2010, she appeared on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno, to address the controversy.
In December 2010, Graham also appeared in an editorial for Bust magazine. Graham appeared in several Levi's campaigns, notably Curve ID SS 2011 with Sabina Karlsson, Ana Lisboa, Marquita Pring and McKenzie Raley, and Boyfriend Collection F/W 10 with Rachel Clark, Ana Lisboa, Anais Mali, Marquita Pring and Ashley Smith. Graham has appeared in several Marina Rinaldi campaigns: Spring/Summer 2012, Fall/Winter 2012 denim, and Fall/Winter 2012 sport. The other clients includes Addition Elle, Bloomingdale's, Elomi lingerie, Evans, Hanes, Liz Claiborne Macy's, Nordstrom, Simply Be and Target. In December 2012, Graham was featured two of the Billboards at New York for Lane Bryant. At the end of that year, Graham was named the Full Figured Fashion Week's Model of the Year.
In 2013, Graham designed a lingerie line for Addition Elle, a Canadian plus-size clothing retailer. Graham also appeared on MTV's Made, as a coach for an aspiring plus-size model. Graham appeared on the May 2014 issue for international's Harper's Bazaar pre-fall collection and beauty editorial. Graham was the cover model on the June 2014 issue of Elle Quebec. In 2015, swimsuitsforall, a plus-size retailer for women's swimsuits, featured Graham in an advertisement in Sports Illustrated's annual swimsuit issue. The ad was part of swimsuitsforall's #CurvesInBikinis campaign in which Graham was one of the first plus-size models to appear in the pages of the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue. In 2016, she became the first plus-size model to appear on the cover of the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue. She was also featured in DNCE's music video for "Toothbrush".
In 2016, Graham served as a backstage host for Miss USA 2016, Miss Universe 2016, Miss USA 2017, Miss Universe 2017 and Miss Universe 2018. In addition, she is official judge of reality show America's Next Top Model transmitted by VH1.
In 2017, Graham released a book, A New Model: What Confidence, Beauty, and Power Really Look Like. In this memoir, she provides insight into her experiences as a model and as an advocate for body positivity. Graham additionally shares, in her book, her prospects for the evolution of body image in years to come.
Graham has been announced as the host of the second season of American Beauty Star.
Graham is a proponent of the body positivity and the Health at Every Size movements. In 2016, Graham became the first size 16 model to be featured on the cover of Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue. Glamour described Graham's Sports Illustrated Swimsuit cover as "bringing size acceptance into the mainstream". Graham gave a TED Talk advocating for self-acceptance with regards to body images, which included Graham looking into a full-length mirror and having a friendly chat with her body parts making comments such as: “Back fat, I see you popping over my bra today. But that’s all right. I’m gonna choose to love you.”  Graham has been praised by women on Instagram for sharing photos showing her cellulite. In an interview with Vogue, Graham said "I definitely think that my body has changed many peoples’ lives. I’ve used my body as a tool to talk about taboo subjects, such as cellulite or being insecure about lower belly fat—and also [how to] talk life into your body and have an affirmation kind of conversation with yourself. And I know the lives that have been changed: young girls and even women my age who have written me and said, 'I never loved the skin that I was in until I heard your journey'." Graham has stated she does not prefer the term "plus-size" saying, "I think that when you use the word 'plus-size' you're putting all these women into a category: 'You don't eat well.' 'You don't work out.' 'You could care less about your body.' 'You're insecure.' 'You have no confidence.' And that is none of this (pointing at her body)", furthering "The fashion industry may persist to label me as 'plus-size,' but I like to think of it as 'my size."
Graham has participated in humanitarian missions in South Africa with the Themba Foundation.
Graham met her husband, Justin Ervin, a videographer, in a Christian church in 2009. They married in 2010.
- "Success Stories". I & I Agency. Retrieved June 20, 2012.
- Ervin, Justin. "Contact Element Films". Element Films. Ervin, Justin. Retrieved October 2, 2013.
- Pham, Thailan. "Lane Bryant Model Ashley Graham Is Engaged!". People. Retrieved October 2, 2013.
- "Ford Models". Retrieved February 16, 2016.
- Mertes, Micah (May 3, 2010). "Lincoln model from Lane Bryant ad amazed at media frenzy". Lincoln Journal Star. Nebraska. Archived from the original on July 9, 2010. Retrieved November 16, 2013.
The 22-year-old plus-size model....
- Sauers, Jenna. "Five Plus-Size Models To Watch". jezebel.com. Retrieved November 16, 2013.
- "Levi's Boyfriend Collection F/W 10". models.com. Retrieved June 20, 2012.
- "Curve ID S/S 11 (with Ashley Graham, Ana Lisboa and Sabina Karlsson)". models.com. Retrieved June 20, 2012.
- Graham, Ashley. "About". Ashley Graham official website. Retrieved November 16, 2013.
- Brody, Liz (July 31, 2010). "Model Ashley Graham on how to Rock a Size 16: "Did someone say cellulite?". Yahoo!. Retrieved November 16, 2013.
- Singer, Sally (April 2007). "Body of Work". Vogue (April 2007): 188–190.
- Field, Genevieve. "These Bodies are Beautiful at Every Size". Glamour. Retrieved November 16, 2013.
- "Supermodels Who Aren't Superthin: Meet the Women Who Proudly Bared it All". Glamour. Retrieved November 16, 2013.
- "Banned-ad model: ABC is big bust". New York Post. April 23, 2010
- The Tonight Show with Jay Leno Episode Guide Archived June 5, 2011, at the Wayback Machine
- Ashley Graham Model Plus Size On Jay Leno Show Spreadit.org, May 2, 2010 Archived May 5, 2010, at the Wayback Machine
- "Ashley Graham in Bust Magazine". madisonplus.com. November 13, 2010. Archived from the original on April 7, 2014. Retrieved November 16, 2013.
- "Marina Rinaldi Campaign, Spring/Summer 2012". TruthandFashion.com. Archived from the original on January 20, 2013. Retrieved November 5, 2012.
- "Marina Rinaldi Denim, Fall/Winter 2012". truthandfashion.com. Archived from the original on December 4, 2012. Retrieved November 5, 2012.
- "Models Ashley Graham & Geo Burke for Marina Rinaldi Sport". TruthandFashion.com. Archived from the original on December 4, 2012. Retrieved November 5, 2012.
- "Full Figure Fashion Week 2012 Awards". fffweek.com. Retrieved November 17, 2013.
- Friede, Eva (November 15, 2013). "Ashley Graham's star power plus". The Gazette. Montreal. Retrieved November 16, 2013.
- "Carine Roitfeld's new BAZAAR shoot: Beauty & The Best of Pre-Fall". harpersbazaar.com.au. April 2, 2014. Retrieved April 5, 2014.
- Cruz, Marcy. "Plus Model Ashley Graham Graces Cover of ELLE Magazine Quebec". Plus Model Magazine. Archived from the original on May 8, 2014. Retrieved May 7, 2014.
- Durando, Jessica. "Plus-sized model Ashley Graham lands 'Sports Illustrated' swimsuit ad". USA Today. Retrieved February 8, 2015.
- Mazziotta, Julie (February 14, 2016). "5 Things to Know About Ashley Graham, Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue's First Size-16 Cover Girl". People. Retrieved February 14, 2016.
- Regensdorf, Laura. “How Curvy Model Ashley Graham Helped Redefine Beauty Norms for a Body-Positive Generation.” Vogue, Vogue, May 25, 2017.
- Weinberg, Lindsay (November 7, 2018). "Ashley Graham to Host, Executive Produce 'American Beauty Star' Season 2". Hollywoodreporter. Retrieved January 1, 2019.
- Regensdorf, Laura (9 May 2017). "Model Ashley Graham's Honest New Book Chronicles the Making of a Body-Positive Icon". Vogue. Retrieved 13 January 2019.
- "Ashley Graham on Authenticity and Being a Body Image Activist". Glamour. 1 November 2016. Retrieved 13 January 2019.
- Belle, Elly (21 March 2018). "Ashley Graham Explained Why Body Type Doesn't Make Someone a "Real Woman"". Teen Vogue. Retrieved 13 January 2019.
- Barr, Sabrina (19 April 2018). "ASHLEY GRAHAM CRITICISES BODY SHAMER WHO COMPARED HER TO A 'REAL MODEL'". Independent. Retrieved 13 January 2019.
- "Plus-size model Ashley Graham on high-fashion and health". Metro. January 21, 2015. Retrieved February 22, 2016.
I promote health at every size.
- Graham, Ashley (January 2015). "Beauty Beyond Size". The Edit. Retrieved February 22, 2016.
I think that you can be healthy at any size and my goal is to help and educate women on that.
- Thomason, Kristine (February 19, 2016). "Ashley Graham Opens Up About Being Healthy at Any Size". Retrieved February 22, 2016.
I believe you can be healthy at any size as long as you’re getting off the couch and moving your body
- Alter, Charlotte. “Ashley Graham: Watch Her Inspiring TED Talk About Body Image.” Time, Time, May 30, 2015.
- Young, Sarah (20 March 2019). "ASHLEY GRAHAM'S 'EMPOWERING' INSTAGRAM POST IS HELPING WOMEN LOVE THEIR CELLULITE". Independent. Retrieved 13 January 2019.
- Brabar, Kasandra (1 December 2017). "Ashley Graham Says It's Time We Stop Calling People "Plus-Size"". Refinery 29. Retrieved 13 January 2019.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Ashley Graham (model).|