18 May 1981 |
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
|Height||188 cm (6 ft 2 in)|
|Weight||97 kg (15 st 2 lb)|
Source: Rugby League Project
Ashley Harrison (born 18 May 1981 in Brisbane, Queensland) is a former Australian professional rugby league footballer for the Gold Coast Titans of the NRL. A Queensland State of Origin representative lock forward, he has played club football previously for the Brisbane Broncos (with whom he won the 2000 NRL Premiership), the Sydney Roosters and the South Sydney Rabbitohs.
Harrison made his debut in the National Rugby League for the Brisbane Broncos against the New Zealand Warriors on 20 February 2000 (Round 3). He played from the interchange bench for the Broncos in their 2000 NRL grand final victory over the Sydney Roosters.
Having won the 2000 NRL Premiership, the Broncos traveled to England to play against 2000's Super League V Champions, St Helens R.F.C. for the 2001 World Club Challenge, with Harrison playing from the interchange bench in Brisbane's loss.
South Sydney Rabbitohs
Harrison's elevation to the Souths captaincy in 2005 appeared to be a turning point in both Souths' 2005 season and Harrison's career, as Souths won six of eight matches under his captaincy to avoid the 2005 wooden spoon (the only losses in that period were both against the 2005 Grand Finalists, Wests Tigers and North Queensland).
Gold Coast Titans
Harrison returned to Queensland to play for the Gold Coast Titans from 2008. At the Titans, he started at lock and performed well covering five-eighth also while Matthew Rogers was out on suspension.
As a result, he was named 18th man for the 2008 State of Origin series for Queensland. He started in both the second and third State of Origin games. Harrison was picked ahead of his club captain Scott Prince (who was only drafted into the squad after a knee injury sustained by Darren Lockyer) to play in the second State of Origin on 11 June 2008.
On 27 June 2014, he confirmed his retirement earlier than he wanted due to a neck injury.
- "Harrison out, Mason in". Fox Sports News (Australia). 11 November 2007. Retrieved 11 November 2007.
- "Wavell State High School Newsletter" (PDF). Wavell State High School. 17 October 2008. Archived from the original (PDF) on 6 March 2011. Retrieved 24 September 2010.
- "SportingPulse Homepage for Australian Secondary Schools Rugby League". SportingPulse. Retrieved 10 October 2008.
- "Teams and Results (1972 - 2009)". Australian Secondary Schools Rugby League. Retrieved 24 September 2010.
- "Club records". rabbitohs.com.au. South Sydney Rabbitohs. 2007. Archived from the original on 19 March 2012. Retrieved 30 November 2009.
- "Titans snare Harrison". ABC News. Australian Broadcasting Corporation. 12 November 2007. Retrieved 24 September 2010.
- "Queensland name preliminary State of Origin squad". Fox Sports. 28 April 2009. Retrieved 28 April 2009.