Ashley Jackson (artist)
||This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (May 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Ashley Jackson is a landscape watercolourist. Raised in Barnsley, South Yorkshire he opened his first gallery in 1963. His gallery is located in the heart of the Pennines, Holmfirth. He currently lives in the village of Holmfirth near Huddersfield.
His art has been exhibited worldwide and adorns the walls of many people. Jackson was honoured when one of his original watercolours was presented to Bill Clinton, an avid art collector.
Jackson has been featured on television programmes, including a series about him that ran on PBS from 1984-1988 entitled "Ashley Jackson's World of Art"; a documentary on Jackson in 1981 entitled "Once in a Lifetime - My Own Flesh and Blood"; and in 2000, a celebratory program entitled "Some Days are Diamond" in recognition of Jackson's sixtieth birthday and his contribution to the arts. Jackson also presented the television show A Brush With Ashley for nine series between 1990 - 2001.
Jackson was recently honoured as a Yorkshire Icon, recognising him as a uniquely important and inspirational person to the people of Yorkshire. In addition, in 2009, Yorkshire Bank introduced a debit card decorated with an original painting by Jackson to commemorate their 150th anniversary. Jackson praised the card by stating, "Customers will genuinely have a piece of Yorkshire in their pocket – representing Yorkshire and art wherever they use the card, be it New York, London or Newcastle." To convey his love for Yorkshire, he further added, "The greatest thing about it is Yorkshire, the county of Yorkshire, has helped me to where I am today."
Jackson has also published a number of books about his technique and style.
- 2006, 50 Golden Years – Dalesman
- 2000, Ashley Jackson's Yorkshire Moors- A love Affair' - Dalesman
- 1994, Painting the British Isles -a watercolourists journey - Boxtree
- 1993, A Brush With Ashley - Boxtree
- 1992, 'Painting in the Open Air' - Harper Collins
- 1981, My Brush With Fortune - Secker and Warburg
- 1981, Ashley Jackson’s Worlds of Art - vol. 1,2 & 3 Alexander Art Corporation
- 1981, An Artists Notebook
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 21 December 2008. Retrieved 200eadurl=yes. Check date values in:
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 24 January 2010. Retrieved 2010-04-24.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 21 December 2008. Retrieved 2008-09-07.
|This biographical article about a painter from the United Kingdom is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|