Ashley Kahn is a Grammy-winning American music historian, journalist, and producer. He is also an adjunct professor at New York University, teaching various courses for the Clive Davis Department of Recorded Music in NYU's Tisch School of the Arts, and at 92nd Street Y in Manhattan.
In 2014, Kahn co-authored the autobiography of Carlos Santana, titled The Universal Tone: Bringing My Story To Light. To date, his most critically acclaimed books have been on two major jazz albums, Kind of Blue by Miles Davis and A Love Supreme by John Coltrane. He pens articles, interviews and other features on music, and is a prolific liner note writer for a variety of music labels, and for which he has earned three ASCAP/Deems Taylor awards, and three Grammy nominations. In 2015, he was awarded a Grammy for his album notes to the John Coltrane release Offering: Live At Temple University. His contributions as a journalist have appeared in the New York Times, Down Beat, Jazz Times, Rolling Stone in the USA, Mojo and New Statesman in the UK, GQ in Japan, among others.
As a road manager, he has toured with jazz musicians Henry Threadgill, Cassandra Wilson, Greg Osby, and, under the direction of George Wein's office, with The George Shearing Quintet; as well as with African artists Ladysmith Black Mambazo, Hugh Masekela, and Lucky Dube; with rock artists Paul Simon and Peter Gabriel; and such pop stars as Britney Spears.
- Rolling Stone: The Seventies, with Rolling Stone, Holly George-Warren, Shawn Dahl, 1998 for the first edition, Little Brown & Co, USA, ISBN 0-316-75914-7
- The Rolling Stone Jazz & Blues Album Guide with John Swenson, 1999 for the first edition, Random House, ISBN 0-679-76873-4
- Kind of Blue: The Making of the Miles Davis Masterpiece, foreword by Jimmy Cobb, 2001, Da Capo Press, USA, ISBN 0-306-81067-0
- A Love Supreme: The Story of John Coltrane's Signature Album, foreword by Elvin Jones, 2002 for the first edition, Viking Penguin, USA, ISBN 0-670-03136-4
- The House That Trane Built: The Story of Impulse Records. (2006) W. W. Norton, ISBN 0-393-05879-4
- The Color of Jazz: Album Cover Photographs by Pete Turner. (2006) Rizzoli International, ISBN 0-8478-5798-0
- The Blue Note Years: The Photographs of Francis Wolff & Jimmy Katz. (2009) Jazzprezzo, ISBN 3-9810250-8-3
- The Universal Tone: Bringing My Story To Light — Carlos Santana's autobiography (2014) Little, Brown, ISBN 0316244929
Reviews and mentions
- Interview on the Kind of Blue book
- Official website of the A Love Supreme book
- Interview on A Love Supreme book
- Biography at National Public Radio