Olsen at the The Union premiere on April 20, 2011
|Born||Ashley Fuller Olsen
June 13, 1986
Sherman Oaks, California, U.S.
|Occupation||Actress, fashion designer, author, producer, businesswoman|
|Relatives||Mary-Kate Olsen (twin sister)
Elizabeth Olsen (sister)
Ashley Fuller Olsen (born June 13, 1986) is an American actress, fashion designer, producer, author, and businesswoman. She co-founded luxury fashion brands The Row, Elizabeth and James, and the more affordable lines Olsenboye and StyleMint with her twin sister Mary-Kate Olsen.
Birth and family
Ashley Olsen and her twin sister Mary-Kate were born in Sherman Oaks, California, the daughters of Jarnette "Jarnie" (née Jones; b. 1954), a personal manager, and David "Dave" Olsen, a real estate developer and mortgage banker. They have an older brother, Trent Olsen, a younger sister, Elizabeth Olsen who is also an actress, and younger half siblings Taylor and Jake from their father's second marriage. Olsen's parents divorced in 1996. The twins and their siblings have Norwegian ancestry on their father's side.
Olsen began her career at the age of nine months old, when she and Mary-Kate were hired to share the role of Michelle Tanner on the popular television series Full House in 1987. Following the end of Full House, Olsen released a string of successful straight-to-video movies and became a popular figure in the preteen market during the late 1990s and early 2000s. She became a household name, with her likeness seen in clothes, books, fragrances, magazines, movies, and posters, among others. There were fashion dolls of her made by Mattel from 2000 to 2005. She starred in the video series The Adventures of Mary-Kate & Ashley, the ABC show Two of a Kind, and ABC Family's So Little Time. She and her sister were jointly ranked number three on the VH1 program 100 Greatest Child Stars. In 2004, the twins appeared in the theatrical light-hearted romantic comedy, New York Minute. In 2007, when Mary-Kate and Ashley were 21 they said that if they got involved in movies together again it would be as producers. When asked about acting again in 2009 Ashley said, "Never say never." In 2009 Olsen contemplated returning to acting. She changed her mind and in 2012 the sisters decided to quit acting permanently and focus on fashion. In October 2013, Olsen appeared in the music video for "City of Angels" by Thirty Seconds to Mars.
Nickelodeon acquired the rights to Mary-Kate and Ashley's video library in 2015.
In 2015, it was announced that John Stamos had signed on with Netflix to produce and co-star in Fuller House, a spin-off Full House that would reunite the original cast members. Mary-Kate and Ashley originally announced in May that they would not reprise their role as Michelle Tanner, however in July, according to Netfix's Ted Sarandos, the Olsen twins were "teetering" on an agreement to join the series.
In 2004, both Ashley and Mary-Kate Olsen became co-presidents of their company Dualstar (created in 1993 following the success of Full House), the brand currently selling in over 3,000 stores in America and 5,300 stores worldwide. Their success has been marked on Forbes' The Celebrity 100 list since 2002. In 2007, Forbes ranked the twins as the eleventh-richest women in entertainment, with an estimated combined net worth of $100 million.
Following a high volume of public interest in their fashion choices, both worked in collaboration on a string of fashion lines available to the public. They started a clothing line in Wal-Mart stores across America for girls ages 4 to 14 as well as a beauty line called Mary-Kate and Ashley: Real Fashion for Real Girls.
In 2004, they made news by signing a pledge to allow all the workers that sew their line of clothing in Bangladesh full maternity leave. The National Labor Committee, which organized the pledge, later praised the twins for their commitment to worker rights.
In 2006, in an attempt to gain credibility in the fashion industry after their association with Wal-Mart tarnished their reputations, they were tapped as the faces of the upscale fashion line Badgley Mischka. As adults, the Olsens have devoted much of their attention to the world of fashion. They head a couture fashion label, The Row, as well as the Elizabeth and James, Olsenboye, and StyleMint retail collections. Ashley Olsen has appeared on best-dressed lists. The Olsens designed an Olsenboye Change Purse in 2011 and donated the money to "Pennies From Heaven".
In 2011, the Olsen sisters teamed up with TOMS Shoes to design footwear for kids without shoes in more than 20 countries worldwide. Mary-Kate and Ashley are now the creative directors for the Italian brand Superga. The Olsens released an Elizabeth and James perfume in early 2013. StyleMint is now available in the UK.
Ashley and Mary-Kate won the top prize at the 2012 CFDA Fashion Awards.
Ashley with her twin was nominated for Council Of Fashion Designers in 2015.
In 2008, Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen wrote Influence, a book featuring interviews with fashion designers that have inspired the Olsens' fashion lines.
Olsen stopped acting because she did not believe she could give 100 percent of her time to the parts she was auditioning for, and was also frustrated at the lack of control over the final product.
In May 2004, Olsen and high school sweetheart Matt Kaplan split up after three years of dating. In May 2008, Olsen began dating fellow actor Justin Bartha. They split up in March 2011 after almost three years of dating. In 2013, she dated businessman David Schulte for six months.
Awards and honors
- 1989: Young Artist Award for Best Young Actor/Actress – Under Five Years of Age (with Mary-Kate Olsen) for Full House
- 1990: Young Artist Award for Outstanding Performance by an Actress Under Nine Years of Age (with Mary-Kate Olsen) for Full House
- 1992: Young Artist Award for Exceptional Performance by a Young Actress Under Ten (with Mary-Kate Olsen) for Full House
- 1994: Young Artist Award for Best Youth Actress in a TV Mini-Series, M.O.W. or Special (with Mary-Kate Olsen) for Double, Double, Toil and Trouble
- 1996: Nominated – Young Artist Award for Best Performance by an Actress Under Ten – Feature Film for It Takes Two
- 1996: Kids' Choice Award for Favorite Movie Actress (with Mary-Kate Olsen) for It Takes Two
- 1999: Kids' Choice Award for Favorite TV Actress (with Mary-Kate Olsen) for Two of a Kind
- 2004: Nominated – Teen Choice Award for Choice Movie Blush (with Mary-Kate Olsen) for New York Minute
- 2004: Star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame (with Mary-Kate Olsen)
- 2014: Council of Fashion Designers of America (CFDA) Accessory Designer of the Year (with Mary-Kate Olsen)
- "The Birth of Ashley Olsen". Californiabirthindex.org. Retrieved May 28, 2014.
- "Mary-Kate Olsen Biography (1986- )". Filmreference.com. Archived from the original on October 4, 2013. Retrieved December 5, 2011.
- "Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen Biography". The Biography Channel. Retrieved May 29, 2010.
- Tauber, Michelle (May 3, 2004). "Two Cool". People. Vol. 61 No. 17
- Mobile Marketing Gets Cool. eventmarketer.com. Retrieved August 7, 2013.
- Clark, Cindy. (October 31, 2007). "Act 2 for the Olsen twins: A fashion career". USA Today.
- Ashley Olsen, the "Private Twin". OK!. June 30, 2009.
- "Ashley Olsen Wants Out of Fashion Career". Young Hollywood. October 2, 2009
- "Olsen Twins Quit Acting: Mary-Kate & Ashley Olsen Focus On Fashion". The Huffington Post. March 7, 2012.
- Grow, Kory (October 29, 2013). "Thirty Seconds to Mars Recruit Kanye West, Lindsay Lohan for 'Angels'". Rolling Stone. Retrieved August 25, 2014.
- "Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen's Video Library Coming to Nickelodeon". Us Weekly. April 23, 2015. Retrieved July 28, 2015.
- Amanda Mikelberg, Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen will not appear on "Full House" revival CBS News. May 25, 2015. Retrieved July 28, 2015.
- Michael Ausiello (July 28, 2015). "Olsen Twins in "Fuller House"". Retrieved July 28, 2015.
- Said, Sammy. "Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen Net WorthMary-Kate and Ashley Olsen Net Worth". TheRichest. Retrieved December 10, 2013.
- Grossberg, Josh (December 9, 2004). "Mary-Kate, Ashley: No Sweat". E! Online.
- Hall, Sarah (February 15, 2006). "Olsen Twins Strike a Pose". E! Online.
- Martinez, Brianna (July 7, 2011). "Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen launch StyleMint". SheKnows.
- Balser, Erin (June 25, 2009). "Mary-Kate and Ashley are on Glamour UK's Best Dressed List". Crushable. Retrieved February 15, 2012.
- Lomrantz, Tracey (February 24, 2010). "Best Dressed In The Front Row Of Burberry: Vote Now! : Slaves to Fashion: Fashion". Glamour. Retrieved February 15, 2012.
- "Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen Create a Change Purse for Charity". People. August 8, 2011.
- "Olsen Twins Join Forces with TOMS Shoes". Us Weekly. July 22, 2011.
- "Mary Kate & Ashley team with Italian sneaker brand Superga". Prettytough.com. September 13, 2011.
- "Mary-Kate & Ashley Olsen Launch Perfume For Elizabeth and James Brand". The Huffington Post.
- "Fashion's favourite twins Mary-Kate and Ashley launch stylish new line". Mail Online. June 19, 2012. Retrieved November 30, 2015.
- "Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen honoured for influence on American luxury at Innovator Of The Year Awards". Mail Online. October 19, 2012. Retrieved November 30, 2015.
- "Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen Win Top Prize At CFDA Fashion Awards". The Huffington Post. June 5, 2012. Retrieved November 30, 2015.
- Lauren Cochrane. "How the Olsen twins won over the fashion world". the Guardian. Retrieved November 30, 2015.
- Caplan, David. (July 31, 2008). "SNEAK PEEK: Mary-Kate & Ashley Olsen's New Book". People.
- Collins, Dan (February 16, 2005). "Ashley Olsen Sues Tabloid". CBS/Associated Press.
- La biographie gala.fr Retrieved March 11, 2015.
- "Ashley Olsen battling Lyme disease". New Zealand Herald. May 9, 2015. Retrieved May 9, 2015.
- Silverman, Stephen M. (May 5, 2004). "Ashley Olsen Breaks Up with Boyfriend". People.
- "Ashley Olsen and Justin BGartha Split". People. March 9, 2011.
- Larkin, Mike (January 15, 2014). "It's Over! Ashley Olsen splits from multimillionaire businessman David Schulte, after less then six months of dating". Daily Mail (Mail Online).
- McRady, Rachel (February 13, 2014). "Ashley Olsen Is Dating Moneyball Director Bennett Miller". US Weekly.
- "Mary Kate & Ashley Olsen, Accessory Designer of the Year - 2014 CFDA Fashion Awards". YouTube. 2008-10-30. Retrieved 2016-01-12.
Olsen, Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen, with Damon Romine. Mary-Kate and Ashley: Our Story: Mary-Kate & Ashley Olsen's Official Biography. HarperEntertainment 2000. ISBN 0061075698.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Ashley Olsen.|
- Ashley Olsen at the Internet Movie Database
- Ashley Olsen at TV.com
- Elizabeth and James
- Mary-Kate and Ashley at Nickelodeon