Bethesda, Maryland, U.S.
|Education||University of Pennsylvania (BA)|
Ashley R. Parker is an American journalist, a Pulitzer Prize-winning White House reporter for The Washington Post, and senior political analyst for MSNBC. From 2011 to 2017 she was a Washington-based politics reporter for The New York Times.
Parker was born and raised in Bethesda, Maryland. She has lived in Bethesda for the majority of her life, except during her college years and a few years while working for The New York Times. Her immediate family still resides in the area.
Parker attended Bethesda's Walt Whitman High School, where she was a member of the class of 2001. She also spent part of her junior year at La Universidad de Sevilla in Spain and is nearly fluent in Spanish.
In 2005, she graduated summa cum laude from the University of Pennsylvania, where she majored in English (Creative Writing concentration) and Communications. She had been a Benjamin Franklin Scholar, and during her senior year, was awarded the Nora Magid Mentorship Prize in writing. Parker also completed internships with The New York Sun and the Gaithersburg Gazette, which is owned by The Washington Post. She served as a features editor and writer at both 34th Street Magazine and The Daily Pennsylvanian, the independent student newspaper for the University of Pennsylvania in Philadelphia.
After college at the University of Pennsylvania, Parker interned at the Gaithersburg Gazette and reported on local government, including city planning meetings.
She appeared and continues to appear on Washington Week on PBS, and she has also written for The New York Times Magazine. She covers many Republican Party candidates, elected officials, and topics. She also covers routine New York City topics and the White House. She also covered Chelsea Clinton's wedding for The New York Times.
Parker's photographs have appeared in Vanity Fair, and her writing has appeared in other publications, including The New York Sun, Glamour, The Huffington Post, Washingtonian, Chicago Magazine, and Life magazine.
- Ashley R. Parker's Twitter account page
- LinkedIn profile page for Ashley Parker (registration required)
- City Burroughs Blog postings by Ashley Parker
- Nora Magid Mentorship Prize Winner Announced - Ashley Parker, includes short minibio
- "Ashley Parker, Michael Bender". The New York Times. June 17, 2018.
- Tallman, Douglas (November 21, 2019). "Democratic Debate Moderator is a Whitman Grad". Montgomery Community Media.
- "Mighty Writers interview with Ashley Parker: Know Your (Grown Up) Mighty Writers: Ashley Parker, accessed 12/6/2014". Archived from the original on 2015-02-27. Retrieved 2014-12-07.
- Wolk, Andy. "Alumni Visitors Series". upenn. Retrieved 11 April 2017.
- Nora Magid Mentorship Prize
- "Penn alumna makes a name for herself in journalism". The Daily Pennsylvanian. February 10, 2011. Archived from the original on April 7, 2015. Retrieved May 15, 2017.
- "The Washington Post hires Ashley Parker from The New York Times". Poynter. Retrieved 2018-08-28.
- Ashley Parker (July 13, 2012), "Cheneys Host Fund-Raiser for Romney in Wyoming" The New York Times "The Caucus" blog
- Posts published by Ashley Parker (419 Results) The Politics and Government Blog of The New York Times, accessed 12/6/2014
- Parker, A. (May 19, 2011), "J.F.K. Bus Collision Kills One. The New York Times
- Parker, A. (July 24, 2010), "Clinton wedding is leaving some feeling left out", The New York Times
- Articles by Ashley Parker on The Huffington Post
- Moran, Lee (September 7, 2019). "Donald Trump Lashes Out At Washington Post Reporters, Hints At White House Ban". Huffington Post.